5.0 out of 5 stars So Far, So Good!, April 9, 2012
This review is from: Panasonic VIERA TC-L42E50 42-Inch 1080p 120Hz Full HD IPS LED-LCD TV (Electronics)
I picked this TV up earlier this month to take the place of a disappointing LED set from another brand, and I couldn't be happier that I made the switch. This Panasonic model is the sharpest I've ever had and a few quick adjustments to the picture settings were all I needed to ensure a consistently solid (if not better) picture. In a TV, I wanted something that would be especially reliable when it came to sports, but also worked well with movies and other everyday programming plus the occasional video game session, and this TV has certainly delivered on all counts. I'm able to see the picture clearly from just about every angle imaginable, with no blurring and only a negligible amount of artifacts.

I didn't set out to buy a TV equipped with Internet capability, but it's definitely a nice feature to have. The setup in the room is such that I don't need the wireless capability and the added expense of an adapter, because I'm able to simply connect an ethernet cable to my router from the TV and I'm good to go. So far, I haven't had any connectivity problems or real lag. While all the subscription services included in the Viera Cast have their own advantages and uses, the Twitter software is what may give me the most utility. I'm still trying to figure out how to tweet efficiently, but that's secondary to following my feed by the hashtag of whatever event or show I'm watching. I've tried out a few Netflix movies to test the functionality and didn't experience any problems. It includes a pretty simple interface, even for beginners.

Setting up the TV was very easy, and I especially like that there's a fitting that the TV slides onto while you secure it to the base with the included screws.

4 HDMI ports may be a little much for some people, especially if the VieraCast software takes the place of a Roku or other streaming media device, but it's nice to know that I have ports to spare in case I end up needing them later. I'd much rather have extras than find myself switching out a device every time I want to use something different. The stock speakers are just fine (no tinny sound, as can be the case with other LED TV's, including the one I had before this one), but if you're an audiophile, I wouldn't blame you for hooking up something a little nicer, be it a soundbar or a multichannel surround system.

While I didn't pick it up on Amazon, the price was in the same neighborhood as it was new on Amazon and its affiliated retailers - a great buy for an LED TV with streaming media capability from one of the best brands out there. As for the 42" size, it's ideal if you want something substantial but still small enough that it won't dominate the room if you don't want it to.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 9, 2012 9:03:30 PM PDT
I am returning this TV next week for a Sony Bravia due to a problem with Netflix. The screen flashes black everytime Netflix switches to a lower resolution due to buffering. Are you experiencing this problem? It only occurs during high-def streaming.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2012 9:09:55 PM PDT
BG0310 says:
Hi, David - It sometimes "blinks" a couple times, but only in the beginning while the resolution is being optimized. A similar thing happens sometimes when I watch on my computer where it will start with a lower resolution and lag for a second or two while it switches to a higher definition, but it's not that pervasive. I'm no technician, but I think this is to be expected and could be traced to your Internet connection rather than a problem with the TV. However, without knowing more about your situation (are you connecting wirelessly? If so, how many devices are consuming bandwidth from your signal, etc.), it's hard to be sure.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2012 9:12:14 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 9, 2012 9:13:03 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2012 9:23:19 PM PDT
Thanks for the quick reply. I've talked with Panasonic about this and they thought it might be due to my connection, but I am at 7Mbps and neither of my other two streaming devices does this on two separate TVs - sometimes while both are streaming content. I use a PS3 and a PC on a Sony (720p) and Samsung (1080p) 32" LCD respectively. Can I ask what your connection speed is?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2012 9:32:40 PM PDT
BG0310 says:
I'm at about 10Mbps, and the only other device using the signal is a laptop. Like I said earlier, I'm hard-wired into my router, so I don't think we can make an apples-to-apples comparison with our respective setups. Do you think three devices might mark some kind of tipping point? I'm not sure where else you can go for support, but I hope it works out for you, even if it's with another TV.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2012 9:37:19 PM PDT
Thanks again, and to clear it up I'm hard-wired and the issue presents itself even when all other devices are turned off no matter the time of day. My router is secured using WEP and MAC address control in a fairly spread-out residential neighborhood so I don't think I'm being throttled by a free-loader. I'm giving Panasonic another chance tomorrow so here's hoping. Great TV otherwise - truly the best out of the other three I've tried from LG and Samsung.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012 7:26:40 AM PDT
John H says:
I thought that usually happens if your internet connection can't keep up with the demand for data throughput. I don't think that has anything to do with Panasonic, but I could be wrong.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012 8:51:02 AM PDT
I've tried three different LED TVs so far and this is the only one with the problem. It doesn't happen on Amazon instant video or Hulu plus - only Netflix. It is a known problem with their Blu-ray players. It happens when the quality is scaled up or down due to bandwidth, but since none of my other devices do it I see it as a design flaw. I returned the TV to Best Buy yesterday and it occurred a few times even on their T1 line. The new TV I bought (Sony Bravia EX640) doesn't do it at all (just like the previous TVs). Not sure if the Panasonic was a lemon or not, honestly I wish it was because the TV is awesome in all other aspects. However I don't have the patience to continue returning TVs for flaws like this. It costs over $1000 - it needs to do everything it advertises properly.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2012 5:00:01 PM PDT
change your encryption from WEP to WPA/WPA2

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2012 7:10:39 PM PDT
It's already set to WPA/WPA2. I am going to call Panasonic this week to see if we can't try some different settings. I've tried static IP and that didn't seem to help, as well as connecting directly to the modem. Not too concerned anymore since the PS3 handles everything well, but would be nice to get Netflix to 100% and let anyone else having this problem know how.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›