5.0 out of 5 stars Great for filmmakers, June 4, 2003
This review is from: Canon GL2 MiniDV Digital Camcorder w/20x Optical Zoom (Electronics)
I own this camera, and it's my best friend. Well not really, but it's the most amazing camera I've ever had. You get what you pay for, and you get a lot from this camera.
This is however, NOT a camera that the general public should buy. It's far to expensive, and really wouldn't be worth it to someone who will be using this for filming say a birthday party. There are many features on this camera, which make it as wonderful as it is, but these features would likely be unused by someone new to video cameras. So if you are in this boat, save your money and get a different camera.
What's great about it? The image quality is better than anything I've seen before. With 3CCD, it's good. Unlike the XL-1S, the GL2 has a 2.5 inch color LCD. However, I rarely use this. It takes up more battery power, and you can't see it when there's sunlight. I love the audio controls, and how it's not only stereo microphone, but you can control the levels of your left and right audio, right there, on the camera. I love to convert analogue video into digitial video, and it's almost too easy using the GL2. It's great for getting your older stuff into a digital format, and being able to easily get it onto your computer.
What's bad about it? Really not a whole lot. The 1.7-megapixel photo mode is really uneeded. 1.7-megapixels really isn't that good. The included 8MB card for these pictures isn't enough. If you're going to want to take digital pictures, then get a digital still camera, and don't use the GL2 as a still camera.
But I can't stress enough that if you aren't going to use this for more professional projects, then you really shouldn't get this camera.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 25, 2007 6:19:19 AM PDT
Justin D. says:
Hey there, Great review: I'm a professional photographer and I've had what I believe is an amazing idea for a documentary for a while now and I'm starting to look into what it would take to make it a reality. This camera seems to be all the professional quality I need on a pretty small budget and I just wanted someones opinion if, being new to videography but being a professional photographer, do you think it would be hard for me to learn to use this camera? Theres a local videography course at a local college that I've been considering taking. And then comes the editing :P After I figure out how to work the camera I've got to get and figure out editing software.

So my question is: Do you think as a professional photographer I would be able to understand the controls and everything on this camcorder?

Thanks
J

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 9:32:34 PM PST
While not a professional, I'm a serious amateur and I can tell you that one should always attempt to use their camera to famialurize themselveswith it. Taking a course at your local college is fine to learn editing. However, never hire someone to teach you to use your camera. It is a simple device to master. I own the Sony VX-2100 and at first I thought of asking a professional for help. One guy said $145 per hour! Ripoff! I said no to that idea real quick! No, it's always best to read the owners manual and fly by the seat of your pants. If you can, attempt to ask a good friend who is a photographer/videographer to help you. It will certainly cut down costs.

A. Nathaniel Wallace, Jr.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.4 out of 5 stars (74 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $369.95