Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Thank you Scientist Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars There is much depth hidden in its simplicity, September 23, 2012
This review is from: PS3 Journey Collection (Video Game)
I've played through Journey several times, for a few reasons. The first time I played the game, the typical "gamer" in me came out. The goal, to get from beginning to end, while trying to take in some sights along the way. After I completed the game, I got it. It hit me what the point was of the game, and I restarted my Journey again the next night. I spent more time looking around, and found little hidden symbols along the way. Then suddenly someone showed up in the game with me. You can't talk, or type in the game. They are just there. You can chose to run around together or not. These other people just drift in and out in the game, all on their own journey. After I completed the game a second time, I had spent longer enjoying the amazing music and the astonishing visuals through the game. I put it away and didn't play for a while.

Then some time later, I learned there was such thing as players called "white cloaks". I wanted to see one, so I went again into the game and meandered around online. I met one who was on their journey, and decided to play through the game with them. We had so much fun working together. We had no way to communicate, we just had to use our intuition. We completed the game together, and it was almost a shocking moment for me. This game and it's meaning are so much deeper than one can understand on the first play through. The older you are, the more the meaning of this game will touch you.

After working for a while, I finally found all the hidden symbols in the game, and became a white cloak as well. My red garment turns white when I play, and my scarf regenerates itself, letting me fly for longer periods of time. While the game itself is short, it's got enough content for several play throughs. There is an incredibly deep meaning to the Journey, it's what the journey stands for. It's who you meet along the way, and your choices of whether to go alone, or take the journey with someone else. You can't "die" in the game as others have mentioned, but that's because it would defeat the meaning of the game. I agree with what others have said. Play this game alone (not offline, just alone at your home without distractions of other people around), on the best TV you have, with the best sound and in a dark room or in the evening. You will get the best visuals from the game, and have a better environment for contemplating the full meaning of the game. There is much depth to be found in it's simplicity.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 1, 2012 6:16:38 PM PDT
redpandafire says:
Awesome review! I just went back to it today for the first time in months and it was totally different. I appreciated the overall presentation even more and felt a deeper connection. I hope thatgamecompany continues with these kind of adventures.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2012 9:49:06 PM PDT
Angela says:
Glad you liked the review. It does seem to have more impact on how one feels about it once you've played through it and then go back to play it again at a later time.

Posted on Feb 3, 2014 11:55:20 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 3, 2014 9:34:48 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2014 11:42:45 AM PDT
R. L. Arias says:
The online experience of having stranger in your game make a huge difference. Replayability value comes from online experience with other players.

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 10:50:22 AM PDT
you repeatedly state that you find depth and meaning in the game but are unable to specify what that meaning is. i find this review unhelpful in understanding what makes this a 5 star game.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2015 2:41:15 PM PDT
Angela says:
Pancake, I didn't say what the meaning was because that would be a spoiler. Amazon review guidelines specifically mentions not including spoilers. Also, the entire game is based on this "meaning". You're supposed to play the game to discover the meaning of it. If I tell you, then there's little point in playing the game. Like ruining the ending of a great book. I'm sorry you found it unhelpful.

Posted on Dec 4, 2015 9:20:44 AM PST
"Then some time later, I learned there was such thing as players called "white cloaks". I wanted to see one, so I went again into the game and meandered around online." Question - does this mean one has to have an Internet connection to experience this side of the game?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2015 12:49:06 PM PST
Hi Thomas,
Yes to run into other people in the game you'll have to be online. You don't need to be online to become a white cloak or even to play the game, just to see anyone else in the game or find other white cloaks. And the game doesn't constantly put you with other people. It's extremely random. I've played through it and never seen another person. The game will occasionally let two people's journeys run into one another and you just have to be watching to see when it happens, because usually the second person is quite a way off in the distance. I think it's done that way so people can decide whether they want to try and catch up to the other player and continue the journey with them, or they can continue on their own way alone if they're not wanting to play along side someone else.

One little hidden things I found was if you do take your journey with someone else, whether you stay with them through the whole game or just bump into one another briefly, once you complete your current journey to the end, wait through all the game's credits. At the very end the credits it will list the Playstation Gamer ID/Names of the people you journeyed with in the game. There's no way at all to communicate in the game with other players, so other than this little hidden spot at the end of the credits, you have no idea who it is you are playing along side with in the game.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

Angela
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Location: Minnesota