3.0 out of 5 stars Beware the magnets, May 12, 2012
This review is from: Fintie Apple iPad 2/3/4 Case - 360 Degree Rotating Stand Smart Case Cover for iPad with Retina Display (iPad 4th Generation), the new iPad 3 & iPad 2 (Automatic Wake/Sleep Feature) - Black (Personal Computers)
While I like the case as a whole, the magnetic closures are ill conceived. Unlike apple's smart cover, the magnets are not strong enough to hold the cover in place. As a result, the ipad tends to turn on and off repeatedly, wasting battery life. Stronger magnets would probably solve this problem. On the positive side, I believe it's substantially better protection for the ipad, with a superior hold when used as a stand. I am pleased with the case even though no magnets at all would have been better than those included.

Speaking of which, if you do acquire this case, remember that you can turn off the magnetic cover option in the settings app. This will prevent the case from turning the ipad on and off, allowing you to use the on/off switch with confidence.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 2, 2013 7:54:51 PM PDT
C. G. says:
If it wasn't for your review I would have bought this.
Sometimes manufacturers need to have "all" the products they're making a case for in the design room because as we all know - all things are NOT always equal.
I'll keep looking, thank you!

Posted on Aug 17, 2013 12:24:24 AM PDT
CBWriter says:
if the only problem is the magnets? Don't use them. Turn it off an on yourself.

Posted on Aug 20, 2013 7:01:37 AM PDT
Enyapfamily says:
I have this case, and the magnets are not intended to hold the cover closed, only to activate the sleep/wake feature. The case is held closed by an elastic band.

Posted on Oct 25, 2013 6:32:22 AM PDT
DvusLeoGirl says:
My second and third cases are doing the very same thing. It doesn't matter if the strap is used or not. I've had to shut down my iPad more than I normally would, because it flicks it on & off so much.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2013 7:40:42 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 31, 2013 7:41:59 AM PDT
Dan Berg says:
Enyapfamily--Sounds to me that you are the only one that knows what is going on with this case.

Posted on Dec 1, 2013 6:30:58 PM PST
C. BYUN says:
even my expensive targus versavu which fintie, device wear and all these other mom-pop case makers emulate has this problem. What I believe the OP is referring to is that the front cover has a bit of play and can move or shift up and down. When this happens the magnet triggers the sensor as if you actually opened the case when in reality it has just shifted a few degrees diagonally However, with mine which shares an almost identical design as this, when you use the bungee it will prevent the the cover from shifting.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2013 8:30:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2013 8:33:50 PM PST
DvusLeoGirl says:
With one particular case of mine, I only noticed the iPad flicking on and off because it was in a dark room, alone and untouched. It took me a bit to figure out that it was the case. As I have said in other reviews, I still purchase Fintie products, but just like any other company, they are going to have a small percentage of defective products. They will very kindly replace whatever is defective. Their customer service is great.

Posted on Sep 6, 2014 6:20:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 6, 2014 6:21:06 PM PDT
Fintie says:
Dear Customer,
Thank you for your feedback. It is unfortunate to find that you are not completely satisfied with our product this time. Actually the "issue" you described in your review is actually the built-in on/off feature of the case. With other words, when you open or close the front cover, it will automatically wake or sleep the iPad tablet.

Please also kindly note that most customers do not realize that the device has a specific area that will allow for the wake/sleep feature to activate. To make it work simply use the case like a book and have the device on the right side. Once you are done close the cover with the device facing the right side up with the camera up top. Every single one of our products offers the on/off feature.

Given the design of this product, once the case is closed please add the elastic strap provided form the back of the case to ensure that the case won't open.

Help us improve your experience with us by contacting us directly. Please contact us via Amazon message or call us toll free at 1-888-249-8201 for more information and assistance. Our office hours are from Mon - Fri 9:00AM ~ 6:00PM EST, if we are unable to pick up your call please leave us a message and we will get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks!

Fintie Customer Support

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2014 7:06:26 PM PDT
Hello Fintie Customer support,
I just received my Fintie case for my Brand new Ipad 4 128GB with retina. I didn't even want to use the Ipad until i received the case. Once i received it and snap the Ipad into the case i did notice the issue once you close the case with the on/off. It automatically wakes it up from sleep. But your explanation is spot on. Once you rotate the Ipad in the case no more problems with the sleep button.
Thanks