1.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Edition is a Rip-Off, July 6, 2010
This review is from: PHP and MySQL Web Development (4th Edition) (Developer's Library) (Kindle Edition)
Although i love the book itself and would give it a 5 star rating, i have to say that the Kindle edition is a blatant rip off. First, its the same price as the paperback with a CD-Rom included, second, they did not bother to make the sources of the CD-Rom available (via a Website) to those who bought it electronically ... . Searched in vain for a link to an online resource for the examples until i got confirmation that this is not included in the electronic delivery (even though its full price) ...

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 12, 2010 6:23:58 PM PDT
Dave Holden says:
My thoughts exactly. Now I have to type in all the examples that you can get for free from the pdf version which costs less too.

Posted on Jul 17, 2010 7:14:06 AM PDT
Jose says:
For technical books in ebook version like this one (Oracle, MySQL, PhP, SQL, etc) I prefer O'relly. They got a nice bundle (ebook plus textbook) for a nice price, or the ebook only but with additonal formats (PDF, epub, mobi) for same price as Kindle.

I do not like Kindle anyway. It's proprietary and closed format keep me totally away from Amazon. I don't want my ebooks "married" forever to an electronic device. "epub" format is standard and will work on any non Kindle e-reader.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2010 8:25:13 AM PDT
Actually for me its not about the format. I like my Kindle and the books on my kindle, however i do not like authors / publishers who do not care to support their books and their example code via a Website when they sell it electronically (especially when they sell it for the same price as the printed book).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2010 8:52:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2010 8:57:11 AM PST
John S. Ryan says:
"I do not like Kindle anyway. [Its] proprietary and closed format keep me totally away from Amazon."

For whatever it's worth, Kindle also displays several nonproprietary filetypes -- not .epub, I grant you, but .pdf, .rtf, .htm/.html, .doc/.docx, and various image formats (.bmp, .jpeg, .gif, .pmg).

It's also possible to convert .epub files for viewing on Kindle. Try calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2010 11:16:21 PM PST
Jose says:
John, you can convert from epub to mobi (one of Kindle's format) as long as the book is DRM free. Otherwise, you're stuck anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2010 4:50:40 AM PST
J. Gotti says:
I agree with the OP, it's extremely frustrating to the consumer, and shortsighted for Amazon, not to offer the companion CDs with these tech books. I know I would pay extra for it. Unfortunately, most of my tech books will be paper versions for that sole reason.

Posted on Jan 19, 2011 1:19:03 PM PST
I also bought the kindle version of this book and was very frustrated that it did not contain the CD. But, I found a 'workaround' for the CD. I went to safaribooks online. I signed up for a free 10 day trial. Then downloaded this book. Under extra content, the CD (with the chapters and source code needed) is provided in a zip file. So, I downloaded the zip file, and now I will cancel my trial verions at safari books online before they start charging me. I suggest going to safari books and looking this over before buying the ebook for kindle. But it worked for me!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2011 8:58:28 AM PDT
D. Marble says:
Great Idea with downloading the content from Safaribooks online. Worked like a charm

Posted on Jul 26, 2011 4:21:23 PM PDT
Mark Taber says:
Just a note for this reader or anyone else who bought an e-book version of this title: If you register the book at informit.com/register using the book's ISBN (listed on the copyright page), you get access to a download of all the source code.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2011 1:03:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 29, 2011 1:05:26 PM PDT
Dimon says:
all you can get there is source code for Chapters 2 and 3 missing from the CD but not the whole CD
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›