Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars A Rank Amateur's Review #2, September 20, 2010
This review is from: Canon PowerShot SD4500 IS 10 MP CMOS 10x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom with Full-HD Video and 3.0-Inch LCD Digital Camera (Brown) (OLD MODEL) (Electronics)
I can't write an in depth review of this camera because I simply don't have the knowledge of either cameras or photography. But I can tell you what I, as a rank amateur, like about it and why I chose it.

This is the second Canon digital camera I've owned. Last year, I bought the Canon PowerShot SX120IS 10MP Digital Camera with 10x Optical Images Stabilized Zoom and 3-inch LCD (and wrote an Amazon review of it with the same opening sentence as this review as well as some other similar bits). I did a fair amount of research into brands and models before purchasing that camera and ended up loving it. It was very easy to use and met all of my relatively simple needs - right up to the moment I dropped it in the Strait of Juan de Fuca when I was ferrying back from Vancouver Island a few weeks ago. (Don't ask.)

Because I'd been so happy with that camera, my first impulse was to pick up the same model as a replacement. But knowing how quickly technology seems to change, I decided to check out the new models before making a purchase. That's when I came across the SD4500IS . Admittedly, I was kind of seduced by its design - all sleek and shiny, just lying there tempting me (and I, for one, love the color). But I knew I wouldn't be happy with it unless, like the SX120IS, it met my criteria which is:

1. Must be very simple to use. And I mean simple for ME - the aforementioned rank amateur.
2. Must take decent pictures even for casual operators with very little experience (again, that would be me).
3. Must have a fast shutter speed because grandkids and dogs can move really, REALLY fast.
4. Must fit into my purse. (The new purse, with the zipper that I am counting on to pevent things from falling into the Strait of Juan de Fuca, or any other body of water, for that matter.)
5. Most importantly, must have Canon's Optical Image Stabilizer.

Canon's Optical Image Stabilizer is a feature I discovered in my search for cameras last year and which quickly became my new best friend. I have a tremor condition that causes fine shaking in my hands. It doesn't bother me and doesn't always affect close work, but it can make holding something steady - say, for instance, a camera - almost impossible. As you can guess, the result of that shakiness when snapping photos is, most often, lousy photos.

The Optical Image Stabilizer is like a miracle for me. With it, I can take close ups that are startlingly clear - not every time, of course, but MOST times. And, in combination with a fast shutter speed, the Image Stabilizer really helps me to get some great shots - even action shots - of my grandkids and my dog. I love this feature and would never consider purchasing another camera without it. (Note: I uploaded a photo to the costumer image section for this camera, showing a picture of a Shooting Star flower - Dodecatheon - that I think demonstrates the detail I've been able to capture with the Optical Image Stabilizer.)

I had a great salesman, Jeremy, who didn't mind taking some time with me. (Luckily for me, he spoke English in addition to Camera-Techy.) Cleverly picking up on the way I kept gazing longingly at the SD4500IS, Jeremy was able to persuade me that it would meet my needs just as well as the SX120IS had. Like the SX120IS, it's genuinely easy to to operate (even for me! I know! I was shocked, too!) and has the necessary fast shutter speed as well as the Image Stabilizer. It fits into my new purse. Jeremy assured me that if I was happy with the shots I was getting with the SX120IS, I would be equally or even more satisfied with those I would get with the SD4500IS. And, now that I've had a chance to use it, I can confirm that he was right - I'm getting shots that I consider terrific. Yeah!

The following features on the SC4500IS also factored into my decision to buy it:

1. The HD video capability. I've only used the video mode a couple of times to date (full disclosure: though Jeremy had shown me this feature, my son did have to help me "remember" how to both shoot and view videos), but the quality was truly wonderful. Even with my shaky hands, I was pretty impressed with the end product (and kind of amazed that I had done the filming). I don't have a separate video camera and I'm excited to have the option to shoot some videos on occasion, particularly when visiting the grandkids that live 2,000 miles from me.
2. The high speed burst mode. I tried this out by taking some shots of my granddaughter playing frisbee with my dog. I really love the `stop-action shots' look and I think this feature is going to be a lot of fun. I enjoy messing around in Photoshop and I already have some ideas for how I can use pictures shot in this manner creatively.
3. The low light performance system. I hadn't given this feature much thought until Jeremy was telling me about it. But because my house doesn't get a lot of natural light, particularly in the winter, I believe this will come to be a feature I really appreciate.

Of course, its still very new but, so far, I'm loving the new camera and recommend it. While it cost more than the SX120IS, I'm satisfied with my purchase and don't regret spending the extra money. (I'll admit, it helped that I had a gift card.) However, if you're looking for something with a lower price tag, I still highly recommend the SX120IS as well, which is currently selling for nearly $100 less here on Amazon.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 20, 2010 10:41:45 AM PDT
Vanguard says:
Very good review for what this camera is made for. Simplicity and point and shoot. I get mine today and can't wait to try it out.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2010 10:45:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 20, 2010 11:00:41 AM PDT
Mary Kate says:
Thanks! I hope you love it as much as I love mine.

I truly need simple. Getting the SX120IS last year really gave me a lot of confidence in Canon's claim of "easy to use". I'm so glad they're creating cameras for people like me. :-)

Posted on Sep 20, 2010 8:36:57 PM PDT
Alex E.C. says:
thanks for the review ,I'm going to order mine in a couple of weeks.I want to used for my LA vacacion in november!!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2010 12:24:07 AM PDT
NowImMad says:
I too have a tremble in my hands which is a nightmare when working on tiny things and taking pictures - I also only buy Canon and have been eyeing this one

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2010 5:09:10 AM PDT
To Alejandro C. Espinosa:

Glad you found the review helpful - I hope you love yours when you get it - and that you have a great trip!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2010 5:15:23 AM PDT
To NowImMad:

I totally sympathize! Isn't the tremor annoying? I've had mine most of my life and have become very accustomed to it. But there are times... :-) When my brother first told me that his Canon camera had a feature that would help control camera shake, I was intrigued, but didn't really think it would help someone with a tremor condition like mine. When I saw some of the pictures I was able to take with the Optical Image Stabilizer, I almost cried, I was so thrilled. (I am fully aware that I sound freakishly weird about this feature, but truly, it has been such an amazing thing for me, I just can't praise it enough.)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2010 8:07:44 PM PDT
NowImMad says:
I love to take pictures, but yes sometimes I have to hold the camera against my chest or something more stationary because I cannot get a non blurry picture (especially in Macro) because of the damn tremor. Good thing we're not surgeons...LOL

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2010 1:11:15 PM PDT
To NowImMad:

"Good thing we're not surgeons..."

A very scary thought!! :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2011 6:47:31 AM PST
TERRY says:
Thank you for taking the time to post your review , I just purchased this model as well. It my third Canon elph ! I can't tell you how many times I would have lost my camera to Davy Jones' locker had I not been wearing the wrist strap!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2011 6:55:04 AM PST