5.0 out of 5 stars Ridley's Ride, June 12, 2012
This review is from: Prometheus (Blu-ray 3D/ Blu-ray/ DVD/ Digital Copy) (Blu-ray)
I've been waiting for this film since I read about it, a couple of years ago. Ridley Scott, Damon Lindelof, Noomi Rapace, link to the "Alien" franchise? I'm there, when does it open?

Saw it in IMAX 3D, and that's the way it was meant to be seen. A great use of that median, especially Fassbender's scene with the interstellar map. You feel like you are in the room. It is a spectacular gorgeous film, the fly by over Iceland in the beginning is remarkable, and the action/horror scenes have an added impact, due to the sight and sound technology. Kudos to Scott for using all of it.

Lindelof's script revisits a "Lost" theme - Science versus/and faith. Rapace's Shaw is at the center, a scientist who believes in a God, and wants to find the Creator. "Where did we come from" is her big question. Rapace is surrounded with a great cast, including Fassbender (who delivers his part excellently), Theron, Elba, Pearce and even Kate Dickie (crazy Lysa Arryns from Game of Thrones.)

It's Ridley's ride, and he takes you from feeling whistful and optimistic to being horrified and scared in the space of 2 hours. It does have all of the elements of the original "Alien". Space jockey, face hugger, chest burster, robot, evil corporation, it's all there. Noomi Rapace as Lizbeth Shaw fulfills every expectation I had of her. She is the motor to the movie, the one to watch.

I've read where some folks don't like the film because it doesn't answer any questions. I wouldn't see this movie in that light, since when do we ever get the answers we want with anything Lindelof writes? It is a great sci-fi film, and you should see it if you are a fan of the genre, and especially if you love the "Alien" franchise. See it on the big screen, then buy the Blu Ray. Sit back, enjoy.

I was 18 years old when I saw the first "Alien" movie in the theater. I remember how it made me feel to this day - scared, horrified, anxious, suspenseful, and finally thrilled when the hero turned out to be a woman. It was the first VHS tape I bought, it was the first DVDs (box set) I bought, I even named my dog Ripley. I love this franchise, and "Prometheus" is a fine addition.

EDIT: I was so fascinated by this movie in IMAX 3D I went and saw it again, knowing that I would probably never have that chance again. I spent the week in between reading reviews and interviews about the film. I enjoyed it as much the second time, and believe that this is one helluva sci-fi film. I'd say it's Scott's best film in years. "Prometheus" manages to find a balance as a beautiful, thoughtful clever film, with some very visceral horror thrown in. The action snaps along at brisk pace, the music score is great,and there are some interesting techniques used to move the story along that I've never seen before.

I eagerly wait for this Blu ray dvd to be released, I'd love to see the directors cut.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]