5.0 out of 5 stars How I wish I had this book back when I began learning PHP!, February 5, 2010
This review is from: Beginning PHP 5.3 (Paperback)
How I wish there was a Matt Doyle's textbook back when I began learning PHP. Well, I guess, better late than never!

Having worked in technical education for many years, and more recently as a front-end web developer, I know how crucial it is for educators and web designers to have a good grasp of the workings of PHP. PHP is the most widely used programing language, developed from the ground up, to address the needs of the web browsing consumer.

Back in November 2009 while looking at new arrivals in the technology section at a local bookstore, I came across what I consider now, the ideal book on the subject of PHP. Beginning PHP 5.3 by Matt Doyle "speaks" directly to my urgent need to understand what PHP is all about. This textbook "magically" (to borrow a term used recently by Steve Jobs) has clarified my understanding of many concepts in PHP that for years I felt pretty fussy about!

In 800 pages, it does the best job I know on the PHP language basics, including an extensive treatment of PHP's advances in object-oriented programing. Even better, I now also have a chance with this book to be very much up to date on the newest features of PHP programming brought on by version 5.3. Advances like object overloading, abstract classes, interfaces, namespaces and XML parsers are treated by Matt Doyle in his characteristic down-to-earth style. What's more, he never forgets to illustrate further the various subjects treated in the book, with the most appropriate and simplest code examples available.

For schools with courses on programming, Beginning PHP 5.3 is, without a doubt, an excellent textbook. It even includes exercises at the end of every chapter, with the solutions at the end of the book.

As for me, I'm planning to donate my whole PHP book collection and just keep my copy of Beginning PHP 5.3 (together with its eBook version) for my own learning pleasure and ready reference.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 26, 2011 5:28:37 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 26, 2011 5:29:20 PM PDT
Beautiful review man. :)

I have a few php programming books, namely David Powers' PHP Solutions and PHP Object-Oriented Solutions. With that said, would you still recommend I get this book? I'm a technological enthusiasts and I have quite a few tech books. This sounds like a good read and PHP is my server-side language of choice.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2011 6:53:02 PM PDT
Lulio Vargas says:
Daquan, I would strongly recommend this book. I also have collected many books on PHP. However, If I have to settle for just one title, Beginning PHP 5.3 would be the one!

As far as version 5.3 goes, I understand most PHP hosting services are finally catching up to it. The book should be good for some years to come.

Saludos, Lulio Vargas

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2011 7:50:58 PM PDT
Sweet, then I'll get it Lulio. :)

I think I'll get rid of a few PHP books and just settle for David Powers' books (because he is an awesome author) and this one.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (29 customer reviews)

$39.99 $29.16