4.0 out of 5 stars Resident Evil 6 is a Great Third-Person Shooter, October 6, 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Resident Evil 6 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
Resident Evil 6 is not a survival horror game. Period. It's a top notch third-person shooter involving zombies, monsters, and biological weapons. The only reason I did not give this game five stars is because no matter how hard I try I cannot help but feel a little disappointed that it's nothing like the previous ones. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, it's just my own personal opinion.

If you're reading this, then chances are you've already read much longer reviews outlining the pros and cons, the new innovations, and the gameplay mechanics. The only reason I'm writing this is so anyone who's still on the fence about buying this game can get a simple, calm review. A lot of reviews (good and bad) are so heated on this game that it's hard for me to read more than one or two at a time.

What eventually drove me to write this is going back and reading reviews of RE1 and 2. The complaints for those games are:
1. The camera
2. The aiming
3. The pacing (too slow)
4. The controls (move like a tank)
5. The "stupid" puzzles
6. Not enough ammo
7. Can't move and shoot

Now the complaints for RE6:

1. The camera
2. The aiming
3. The pacing (too fast)
4. The controls (move like an action hero)
5. The lack of puzzles
6. Too much ammo
7. Moving and shooting is lame
8. Zombies body parts fall off and can't shoot them in the same area anymore (someone actually complained about this)

I'll be the first to admit, RE6 is lacking big time as far as the "throw back" factor is concerned. However, I appreciate what they're doing here. I personally love the whole lay-on-your-back-and-frantically-shoot-enemies feature. I also like that I can actually melee instead of swipe the air in front of me with a knife hoping to make contact. I agree that having to wait for the zombies to move before I can shoot them is lame, and I had a bit of a struggle adapting to the assault rifle zombie (though he really just holds down the trigger in sporadic bursts that go all over, mostly hitting the ground). The J'Avo are NOT zombies. They are bio-weapons, superhumans if you will. They sometimes transform into other creatures. This I can accept. I had to adapt to RE6's gameplay. I do things like turn on a high difficulty and pace myself. Do I HAVE to walk down that hall with my gun drawn? Well, no. But I do because that creates more tension and I can take in the atmosphere more.

I was skeptical at first about Wesker's son Jake. It seemed pretty cliche and silly to me. Then I remembered that the entire story of all of them is. Again, this is not to say I don't like all the others, I love them. But honestly, the dialogue and voice acting has always been pretty bad. That's just one of the things that I fell in love with back then (along with tank controls!). Jake's story even has a Nemsis theme throughout, but that still isn't enough for some folks. Also, by the time I got to the second chapter of Leon's campaign (three hours in) there was some extensive puzzle solving. However, they do baby you through them via pop ups and quest markers. My solution? Turn off the HUD. It clears the screen up and makes the game more approachable. I don't feel like I shouldn't have to do that, rather I appreciate the option to do so.

It's things like these that I think offend some old school RE fans. I downloaded all of the previous ones a few months ago, and even got Archives for Wii. Those games are great, but they're not RE6. I guarantee the last time 90% of the people complaining about the new gameplay mechanics played RE1, 2, or 3 was at least 3 years ago when they got upset about RE5, if not longer. The point I'm trying to make to you, the potential buyer, is that Resident Evil has changed. Not for better, not for worse. It's just different. If you're hoping for a survival horror experience, it won't be found here. If you're expecting an RE revival, forget about it. But if you're interested in a quality, A-list third-person game with some horror elements, a lot of gore, and a plethora of fight-for-your-life situations (which typically involve ACTION, regardless of the game) then go pick up a copy. If nothing else at least rent it, and draw your own conclusions. Like I said in my Dead Island review, if you're this far into researching it, you're probably going to get it anyways. Thanks for your time.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 18, 2012 4:27:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 18, 2012 4:31:59 PM PDT
G. S. Crable says:
I'm with you bro
(i just bought it and hate it already- i mean changing the game mechanics and controls with each new title added to the franchise sucks...)

I bought RE raccoon city 2 mos ago, and i still can't get enough even after mega-hours of game-play, and beating it on professional..

of course the real addiction here is the on-line gaming...the teams you end up on (you don't get to choose on 'quick game' mode) and the stuff they do trying to survive is hilarious!

I had to learn that game-style too, but the learning curve from RE 5 wasn't that bad...

but this new style of cutscenes, action sequences, and QTEs presents some getting used to...and now you tell me it doesn't even stay loyal to the franchise...?

I admit I only played the opening chapter and kinda lost interest..
I was sort of disappointed becuase I expected something else after buying playing 4, 5, and raccon city...

I guess i should give it more of a fair assessment with more play-time before doubting it..right?

but i do wonder...is there an online mode?
so far I haven't really seen much to choose from when i load the disk..

also is there a way to skip the annoying intro? (its ok the first time around), but every time I put the game disc in there, I have to watch this?

or do your options change later, allowing you to skip it?

thanks for a good review...
got mad-love for the RE series...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2012 1:26:59 PM PDT
Dock Saint says:
From what I understand there is an online mode where you can play as a zombie in someone else's game or vice versa. Of course there's co-op (couch and online), as well as a horde type mode. As far as the intro I only had to play through it once and I was done. As far as the intro movie just press start and it should skip. Hope this helps, thanks for the comment.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2012 4:21:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 23, 2012 4:23:18 PM PDT
G. S. Crable says:
Great..I'll give it another go and let ya'll know what i think....PS.. did you play it all the way through? (I saw some hella-fied bad-ass (albeit brief) cut scenes in a recent commercial...hope I get that far...(never did finish GOW 1, 2, or three)

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 9:15:11 PM PST
LX says:
The series was never meant to be a shooter in the first place, RE R.I.P....

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 1:49:27 PM PST
DDC says:
"Like I said in my Dead Island review, if you're this far into researching it, you're probably going to get it anyways."

haha - good review and that is so true!

Posted on Feb 16, 2013 3:36:11 PM PST
"The only reason I'm writing this is so anyone who's still on the fence about buying this game can get a simple, calm review."

And your effort is very much appreciated. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2013 9:39:56 PM PST
Dock Saint says:
Glad I could help.

Posted on Mar 25, 2013 3:21:04 AM PDT
Everett says:
The Resident Evil games have puzzles in them and etc, to make it more interesting. What fun is it just to shot things, boring. Maybe for some people the puzzles are to hard, but that has always been a part of the games.

Posted on Jul 12, 2013 9:10:47 PM PDT
Personally this is a great game. I am a fan of the series in genreal. Yes this is very different from the old games and a variation of the more recent ones. I like that capcom keeps it interesting. This game feels like a big budget Romero meets John Woo film. The thing is most people like things to remain the same. It has to a degree, but seriously people there's nothing wrong with a company trying new things and pushing the envelope in terms of gameplay. I wasn't into 5 so much and this is a vast improvement. 4 is great. I hated that at first but I gave it a chance and I love it. But Leons story is the only one that is the closest to an RE game. I think this game will be appreciated later on. I'm sure people are relieved when RE Revalations came out. I haven't played that yet but it is on my list for a must buy. abd your review is great and to the point. Thanks.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›