3.0 out of 5 stars A decent zombie flick but with zero gore..., July 25, 2013
This review is from: The Demented (Blu-ray + DVD) (Blu-ray)
Anchor Bay's most recent zombie flick, THE DEMENTED, is sure to continue a bit of discussion that has plagued the zombie community over the past several years: can a creature be classified as a `zombie' if it runs? To me, I don't suppose I really care whether or not they move quickly, as long as they haven't been dead for a while (I think a body that has been rotting for 10 years would have a hard time getting around at any speed). But regardless of which side of the fence you are on, this is one film you should check out anyway. Be forewarned, however...it does not introduce anything new and barely has any gore.

THE DEMENTED caught me by surprise. I wasn't expecting what I got, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. I wanted to like it up front because the beautiful and talented Sarah Butler is in it, but I was surprised to find out she was not the main character. And although I enjoyed it on the whole, the film does have some glaring flaws. Even so, the movie is pretty good overall and a decent addition to the modern-day zombie canon.

The acting in this film is good, with the aforementioned Sarah Butler doing a fantastic job in her role. But Kayla Ewell, the woman portraying the main character of Taylor, is who really steals the show. Ewell tackles her role with enthusiasm, and is a true talent to watch for in the future.

THE DEMENTED is also shot well and the production value looks fairly high. However there are two major issues that I have with this film. First, the ending is beyond horrible. I initially thought the filmmakers had messed up and sent the wrong thing to print...but from what I understand, this was the way they intended to end the film. I will not disclose any spoilers, but I seriously hope the production team never does anything like this in future films.

Secondly, there is practically no gore in the film at all. For me, you can't make a good zombie flick without gore. It simply has to be there. Period. I don't know if budget constraints kept them from adding any, but I would have been happy to see chocolate syrup and corn syrup all over the place as opposed to nothing.

These two issues with THE DEMENTED should not be enough to dissuade you from seeing the film, though; on the contrary, I would love for more people to watch the ending, just to make sure I'm not being critical for the wrong reason. And, aside from the two problems I noted, there's nothing else wrong with the film. It has tension where needed and moves at a nice pace. The `zombies' will eat you if they catch you, and there's really not much else you need.

I recommend giving the film a look next week when it is released. And after you watch it, hop back here or on Facebook and let us know what you think. After all, regardless of whether they are shambling or sprinting, zombies always make great conversation pieces.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 26, 2013 3:44:56 AM PDT
D. Mullikin says:
this was one hell of a review...thanks Matthew, up until now i had pretty much decided to spend my money on some other movie but you made it seem much better than i first thought it might be. I am gonna check it out and do a review after. I am a zombie fanatic and i don't know of a zombie flick i haven't seen but somehow this one just didn't seem worth it. Thanks again Matthew for the awesome review.
Donna M.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2013 7:58:03 PM PDT
Wow, thanks, Donna! I appreciate the kind words. Be sure and let me know when your review is posted so I can check it out. I'm always interested to hear how my opinions relate to those with like minds. Thanks again!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2013 3:35:15 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 29, 2013 10:52:08 PM PDT
D. Mullikin says:
hi again matthew. I haven't been able to watch "The Demented" yet but have a movie I would like to bring up to you. It's name is la hora fria. please if you don't mind looking into this movie, I would soooooo like to hear your valueable opinion as I have heard it is "THE' zombie movie to end all zombie movies. so, thank you so much for any and all help you have shared with me and continue to share. Donna

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2013 11:08:31 AM PDT
Hi, Donna. I think the American title of the film you're referring to is The Dark Hour...if that is the case, I'm trying to get a screener of it for review. If I do, I will definitely post a review. I can't find it on Netflix, so hopefully the distribution company still has screeners available.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

2.6 out of 5 stars (29 customer reviews)

$29.99 $10.98