5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic (but with a HUGE caveat), December 13, 2009
This review is from: Apple Magic Mouse (Personal Computers)
I've had this mouse for a month and a half now, and it's my absolute favorite mouse I've ever had for both comfort and functionality, BUT buyers really need to be aware that it REQUIRES a 3rd-party app to make it worth it's price.

Pros: love the precision ergonomics, the over all feel and durability, 360 scrolling
Cons: Apple gimped the standard software so bad, you need to install another (free) app just to use it properly

At first I was wary of the Magic Mouse's low profile, but after only an hour or two of using, I found my hand grew used to holding it a little differently to compensate. My last mouse was a Logitech G5, so I was used to holding my mouse in the palm of my hand as I moved it, but with the Magic Mouse, I found it easiest to hold my hand *above* the mouse, grip it with my thumb, little finger, and ring finger, and use my pointer and index finger to left/right click and scroll. This actually worked out very well because the table I'm used to typing at is a little low for my posture, so the Magic Mouse has actually corrected my posture and straightened out my wrist.

The mouse is quite sensitive, and the 360 scroll needed only a few uses for me to swear that I would never go back to the ol' scroll wheel if I could help it. This mouse really makes every move I make with it feel very precise, and it's really appreciated.

HOWEVER, and this is a massive thing, Apple's software is absurdly limited. How limited, say you? So limited that the only functions supported are left-click, right-click, and 360 scroll. No middle-click, no simul-click, no swipes. Apple's $60 magic mouse, out of the box, has barely more functionality than a $10 off-brand 2-button scroll-mouse.

Thankfully, the Internet comes to the rescue! There's already a handful of 3rd-party applications available that unlock the potential of this mouse and turn it from a 1-star clunker to a 5-star masterpiece. I use BetterTouchTool (still in alpha), folks may prefer to use the more polished, if not as versatile, MouseWizard or MagicPrefs. BetterTouchTool is a free app which adds support for up to 115 actions (23 gestures + fn/ctrl/alt/cmd mods) which can be mapped to pre-set functions or keyboard macros, even by application, including taps, finger swipes, and re-mapping the surface of the mouse for different functions (like middle-click). I have different swipes and taps set up to browse the net, use Office, and play WoW. I have never, ever had the ability to customize a mouse in so many useful ways so easily.

In short, this is a fantastic mouse, but anyone who wants it to be worth their money is going to have to be comfortable downloading software that's in development which requires some customization. If that's not your cup of tea, you're better off spending your $60 on Logitech or Razer's better offerings. Gamers who require simul-click are probably still better off with a large gaming mouse with ergonomic grips on the side and discrete buttons.

[Add comment]