4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good TV, April 6, 2012
This review is from: Panasonic VIERA TC-L37E5 37-Inch 1080p 60Hz Full HD IPS LED-LCD TV (2012 Model) (Electronics)
I am just a few days into using my 37" Panasonic, but will give first impressions. I especially like the picture quality. With some small adjustments for personal preferences, the colors are life like, rich, and sharp. I do some graphics work and may use this for a computer monitor at some time, which is a plus. Set up was easy and good documentation. I think the compact design is slightly smaller than other 37 inchers I was considering which is good for my small TV space. The Enerstar tag gives this an approximate annual operating cost of $9., which seems pretty amazing.

Like others have mentioned, if you want to use wireless for internet movies you will need the adapter that costs $60 or so, or some other device. It is slightly misleading in the way this is promoted in the product description. The sound is thin to say the least. The only sound out terminal is an optical out, which nixes using my old home stereo system like I had done with my previous set using RCA outs. I've started looking for a simple relatively inexpensive sound bar that will use the single cord optical sound connection, but have not found anything yet. So it looks like I'm stuck with the sound quality until I learn more.

Compared to my old Toshiba that died after five years, the screen is sort of mat finish, but slightly more glossy and picks up more distracting room reflections. Probably not a huge deal, but slightly different from my old TV. I suppose reliability is sort of a spin of the dice, but after having my last TV go south after five years I tried to find a brand with a low rate of repair and based on Consumer Reports and other reviews, Panasonic looked to me like it was among the more reliable brands. I might have gone Samsung, otherwise.

I'm not the most technically savvy person and may learn more later, but that's where I'm at now. There are a number of features I will probably never use. A nice TV for the money that could have been a great TV with better sound options and slightly less screen gloss.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 9, 2012 11:13:53 AM PDT
noriga says:
Get an Optical to Analog converter, way better than a sound bar and allowing you to still use your Hi-Fi
Max

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2012 4:10:00 PM PDT
retiresoon says:
Thanks Max. I will look into this more. My current understanding is that the Optical to Analog converters will not decode Dolby sound, so you will only get static since the E5 output is Dolby for HDTV. There is no way to turn off Dolby on the E5 that I've found. I did hook up my stereo to the RCA outs on my DVD player so can at least get good sound while watching DVD movies.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2012 2:34:05 PM PDT
As I am researching this model for future purchase, I read your review Thank you! As far as the sound issue--does the tv have a headphone jack? I'm guessing it must have as all electronics with audio do. Why not get an analog cable with the 1/8"plug on one end and the red and white RCA plugs on the other end and plug that into your home stereo? I know it will work as I am doing thst with another brand tv. Hope this helps!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›