3.0 out of 5 stars okay, needs work, but nice price, November 24, 2010
This review is from: CowboyStudio Photography/Video Portrait Umbrella Continuous Triple Lighting Kit with Three Day Light CFL Bulbs, Three Stands, Two Umbrellas, and One Carrying Case For Product, Portrait, and Video Shoots (Camera)
I bought these as a cool light setup for a permanent addition to my studio and for video, but not nearly bright enough to work. I added a four way adapter and brighter bulbs, which helped. It is cheap, but works with brighter bulbs.

[update]
another reviewer in this feed suggested a 105w bulb that is 5000k made by Cowboy Studios.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 3, 2010 4:06:56 PM PST
Are you certain the base can handle a higher wattage? Do the directions confirm the maximum wattage for the unit? Any follow up experiences?
Thanks, I'm interested myself.

Posted on Jan 9, 2011 7:11:44 AM PST
Hans As says:
Will this work if i bring this in UK? I am afraid, since US is 110 and will it work in 220v?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2011 1:24:50 PM PDT
Khalil Ali says:
Did you ever get an answer? I would also like to know...

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 9:40:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 9, 2012 9:41:14 AM PST
Aaron says:
Have used the lighting kit a number of times with (4) 85 watt bulbs (never unattended). So far no problems just plugging it for a couple hours. (Cannot speak to the 220V. question, it is above my pay-grade).

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2012 1:55:21 PM PDT
You'd need a transformer. My sister lives in UK and has many American electrical appliances. Hope this helps you.

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 5:50:06 AM PST
So, I picked up 2 of the bulbs you suggested (I bought just the bulbs, no 4-way adapter yet). I have to say, the bulbs were a great idea, just by themselves; however, they're HUGE. They're twice the size of the original bulbs. Now, that's not a problem, as they still work with the kit just fine, but dang! I was not expecting that.

The bulbs, everyone, are a great idea, and I fully support it. As I said earlier, I haven't tried with a 4-way adapter but I imagine I'll pick a couple up soon and try those out as well. Good looking out, Aaron.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 4:59:25 AM PST
Hi, do you have a comparison photo by any chance? I am asking because I don't know how big the effect is with the watt difference. I see that the original one and the suggested one here are both "5500K day light" and just differ in wattage.

Thanks :)

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 6:15:31 PM PST
pjom03 says:
Silly question, but are the bulbs you have listed in your review the ones you purchased? The base looks too small to fit in the umbrella socket, but perhaps I am mistaken. Thanks for your help!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 12:18:48 PM PST
Aaron says:
Hi pjom03,

I don't have those those exact bulbs (hope they have not caused problems for anyone who might have trouble with them) but they are very similar to the ones I have. If somebody wants to put on a better suggestion I will delete the what I posted.

Note- Its not that the base is too small, it is that the rest of the bulb is "ginormous". Another reviewer said that two were enough so you might want to start with one or two first and see what you think.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 12:21:52 PM PST
pjom03 says:
Thanks so much Aaron; I didn't realize how HUGE the bulbs were. That's very helpful!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›