3.0 out of 5 stars I Miss Harry Dresden, December 2, 2012
This review is from: Cold Days: A Novel of the Dresden Files (Hardcover)
I just finished the book, and thought it was very entertaining. The series itself continues to proceed in a coherent fashion, and the writing has improved over time.

My one complaint, perhaps not directed at "Cold Days" specifically, is that these books are no longer "detective novels". I miss the detective stories and the pulp-y, sarcastic nature of Harry. Now Harry is more self-indulgent then self-deprecating, and the humor has taken a backseat to the action.

Not that action is terrible. I finished this book in a weekend and cannot wait for the next; however, I question whether moving the story further and further from "reality" is a wise move for this character. For many books now Harry has not been the "only wizard for hire", and "Cold Days" continues that trend.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 3, 2012 10:23:52 AM PST
mercurystaff says:
I get where you are coming from Peetza. The books seemed to have moved from gritty to somewhat glitzy.

I miss seeing Harry 'down and dirty' in the streets, protecting his hometown from 'invading' monsters.

This series could have just been a long running serial of situations with exactly that, but in that case it would have been (more) difficult to introduce any major arcs, with escalating power levels (like an rpg where the characters become more powerful) and stakes, into the story line.

My understanding is that JB created this entire series as one gigantic story arc before writing Storm Front.

This being the case, it would seem like the first several (really, just about the first twelve) were more like a runway, and now the series is really 'taking off' so to speak.

My guess is that if JB had just started writing these books with a basic premise (like the first several seemed to be), instead of having a giant story arc in mind, we would have seen a long running series that were all very similar to the first few books.

Any way, that's the way I see it.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 1:41:01 PM PST
Sue C. Dees says:
I question whether moving the story further and further from "reality" is a wise move for this character.?? Really? He is a tecnologically challenged WIZARD!! I think the character is following the only path he logically could. If you want "reality" watch the evening news or read True Crime. The Dresden Files has never been a detective series, even when it pretended to be. It is a wonderful fantasy world and I love it, twists, turns, ups, downs, just as long as he doesn't die. I thought my heart would break when I thought he was really dead. He is a wonderful character, full of faults and virtues, just like the rest of us humans.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 6:03:03 PM PST
Wayne Worthy says:
Okay, I just finished the book and I will wait a day or two before writing up my own review of this book. The one issue I have a problem with, and I think other fans of the series may agree with me on this: I'm starting to get a little tired of the rush jobs Harry has go through. So basically, Harry get's a case with overwhelming odds that needs to be solved in one day, or the world gets destroyed. While that may work in one or two books, I missed the investigation that Harry use to do. In this book he has henchmen to do all the leg work for him. This takes all of the discovery and meaning out of the what Harry does best. Also, while comical, I didn't buy that Dresden would have issues with pixies; going up against the things he has before, it just isn't logical.

Still a good book, I just wish that there was more of the old Dresden in this book

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 8:15:42 PM PST
Marcus Twain says:
I disagree. I think it would get pretty boring if the dresden files never expanded, never got into bigger things than just another good ole' day of hardword protecting chicago from a bad guy. That was fine for the first books, but now the series is expanding it's universe. In fact, my one complaint is that dresden had to spend ANY time in chicago in cold days. If you want your never-ending-formulaic-settings-this-is-really-starting-to-get-old series than go read the adventures of charlie brown.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 8:34:21 PM PST
Wayne Worthy says:
I hear ya, but my issue is that now we will have nothing but the Faerie court drama. While that's cool for a couple of books, There are other story arcs that could be visited. For example what happened to the fallen? I would have imagined that they would try to capitalize of the events on Demonreach, but they were no where in sight. What happen to the fight against that breed of darkness? Two of the three swords have sat collecting dust for at least four years, and no new knights? The red court is dealt with, how about the white and the black courts? I'd like to read more on the Jade court as well. Harry was a warden of the white council; that business could have taken him all over the world. Then there's more to the Never Never than Faerie that hasn't been explored. I think that people are afraid that his stories are now a one trick pony. With the way the story ended in Cold Days, it's cementing the winter court faerie stuff. I think that is what people aren't liking.

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 7:06:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 9, 2012 7:07:34 PM PST
I think what we have seen from Harry is a reasonable and believable growth. It seems to me that anyone as powerful and experienced as Harry *should* have henchmen doing all,some or most of the leg work for him. He has power, he has friends and he has a network that he has cobbled together over 15 books. If his network was just suddenly there, I might agree that the gumshoe bit was missing, but every time he reaches out, its to someone we saw him "earn" in a previous book and JB still does a good job of pacing in the information to keep it something of a mystery.

If book 15 was the same formula as book one, I would have put the series down a long time ago. I loved book one. After reading it I went out, bought the next 10 and spent a week in bed reading. But, what keeps me reading is the amazing job JB has done allowing Harry, all of the supporting characters, the environment, the magic and the story grow and evolve over time. That's why I cannot wait for the next book and why I cannot wait for the next 15.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 2:57:28 PM PST
Seabreeze says:
It seems to me I read somewhere JB said Lasciel will be back at some point. I think most of the things you mention in your post will come back into the story. I don't think the rest of the series will be only about Faerie. The Gray Council, the Denarians, what happens to the two swords now in Murphy's possession, the White Court, the mystery surrounding Harry's mother and what ultimately happens with Maggie, Harry and Molly. I think there is even more I have forgotten that will show up again.

There is a lot to be fleshed out before this series ends and we don't even know all of it yet, so I doubt all we will read about is the Winter and Summer Fae court.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 3:11:20 PM PST
Wayne Worthy says:
I don't know. I have faith in JB, but right now, he made things very predictable. SPOILERS:

DO NOT READ THIS UNLESS YOU"VE ALREADY READ THE BOOK

So, with that out of the way, let me explain:

Fix knows about Maggie now, and will blame Harry for what happened to Lily. As illogical as that may be, it'll happen. Titania will allow Fix to do it, and may even egg him on. That'll place Harry up against Fix again, and Harry will go all dark side to protect is daughter. With Molly part of the winter court now, it'll be hard not to do the fae stuff all of the time. Hell with Molly being the winter lady (and if you're reading this after the many warnings of spoilers, it's your fault not mines), I think Harry will be more invested in being the winter knight. I hope he does other stories outside of faerie.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 5:59:02 PM PST
Seabreeze says:
I agree that Fix will be a problem for Harry in the future, but he will just be *one* problem in a series that has a lot more going on that just one character out for revenge against Harry.

I think Harry will find a way to handle the influence of the mantle of the Winter Knight. If he does, then he might be able to control his position, regardless of Mab, or even find a way throw off the mantle.

JMO, but I don't think JB is going to keep Harry (or Molly) shackled to the Winter Court under the same circumstances that exist in Cold Days. They will either turn the courts upside down or get out, or both.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.8 out of 5 stars (2,041 customer reviews)
 (1,644)