5.0 out of 5 stars Great looks, great color, not bad price, November 22, 2012
The "B640W" series is not too well known, perhaps b/c they are relatively new. It's a line of retro-esque Casio watches added to the collection around March 2012. There are different colors available (google "Casio B640" and you'll see the lineup) and not all colors are available in all regions of the world. I have the black on black version w/ negative display (it looks amazing btw) and the official model name is "B640WB-1BJF" (tho the back plate just says B640W), which is the Japanese model name (I got it in Japan) but the same watch in Europe is "B640WB-1BEF"... notice the difference in the "J" and "E" in the model name to denote region.

The description of this particular model, B640WC-5A, says "Men's Bronze Rose Digital Retro Stainless Steel Watch"... I question the "Men's" part (I'm a dude) b/c I don't think I would personally wear this colored watch but I can see hipsters sporting it. It's really a beautiful color not seen in other Casio watches and the description of bronze/rose is correct. I think this watch would be more popular among the female fashionista crowd... and I will say, when my stylistic female friends saw pictures of this, they fell in love with the color. With their backing, I was confident enough to pick up 2 of the bronze/rose ones for my sisters as Christmas gifts. Unlike the black version, this color IS available in the US. I paid around $35, which is about half the price of what I paid for the black/black one in Japan. It's not as cheap as the ever-popular A158/A168/A178 silver versions but the price is right in line with the gold A168 (which used to be readily avail for less than $25, then climbed up to $35, and now north of $50...sigh...)and since I think the bronze/rose color is a "special" color, I think $35 is justified. Actually it's not a bad price. Also, unlike A158/A168/A178, it looks and feels more expensive and you certainly won't be finding them at your local Walmart/Target like you do with A158/A168. B640W is also available in the standard silver version (B640WD-1A) but IMO, looks rather bland and doesn't differentiate itself enough from A158/A168. Definitely stick with the special colored versions if you can find them.

As with many other retro Casio watches, the band is stainless steel (good) but the watch housing is plastic (bad). Oh well, I don't think we'll be seeing all stainless retro watches of the vintage 80s originals anytime soon.

Word is that the watch functionality itself is exactly the same as the venerable and iconic G-Shock DW-5600. I like that while in stopwatch and timer mode, you can actually see the time of day in the top right corner. What is missing that I would have liked is dual time. A178 has it and I love it. Wish all watches had world time or at least dual time. One thing I noticed was that the watch face and the housing's plastic is easy to scratch. I have A168 and A178 and the watch face remains scratchless. I now have 2 small scratches on the B640W watch face and I don't know where they came from. Hmmmm....

If you're interested in the B640W, go ahead and pick one up now. I'm not sure whether this is a permanent collection or a limited release. I would guess the latter.

[Update] There seems to be some questions about the size of this watch. If you're are guy and used to "guy's" watches, it may feel small at first. This watch is about the same size as other retro-styled, long-running, Casio watches such as A158 and A168.

[Update2, 4/2013] As suspected, looks like B640W is sadly no longer avail for sale in the US. A browse thru the Casio US webpage no longer displays the watch.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]