5.0 out of 5 stars All this and John Cameron Swaze, too!, October 13, 2006
This review is from: Timex Men's T20041 "Easy Reader" Brown Leather Strap Watch (Watch)
Young people have no idea what they're missing (their loss is actually ours, since they're not aware of it). Not only have LP's and CD's gone out of style (replaced by downloaded MP3 files) but watches as well (replaced by the digital read-outs on cellular phones and iPods). I'm sorry, but the only thing that keeps me functional in our overly-digitized, gadget-driven world is a plain-old, plain-spoken, fashion-resistant watch like this Timex with a bland analog face that even a mother wouldn't love--only a great grandmother or someone with as long a memory as mine.

But this piece is redolent with its own memories--of the special telecasts of all-star live jazz spectaculars sponsored by Timex and hosted by former newsman, John Cameron Swaze. Amid the flurries of fringe-reception snow, you might catch momentary sight of Benny or Louis or Ella and even hear a few notes of "Perdido" or "When the Saints Come Marching In." But most memorable of all were the commercials: Timex watches being subjected in "real time" to fire and ice, poundings and shakings, high-dives into pools of water, followed by Swayze's invariably reassuring and authoritative commentary on the outcome: "The watch that takes a licking and keeps on ticking."

Hate to admit that none of my Timexes purchased in the '50's are still ticking, but this one, which boasts a "ten-year battery," is thus far showing promise of a good, strong heart. And unlike the '50's version, this new and improved (can that be possible?) Timex lends extra support to those of us who have lost all but our long-term memories: it even offers a reminder of the date and day of the week as well as hands that light up without the radium coating. Best of all, it's no less affordable than its 1950's counterpart. If anything, it's kept behind the pace of inflation! (Thank you, China, for making possible the continuance of an American tradition).

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first

Posted on Feb 15, 2008 9:33:42 AM PST
Donal says:
Awesome! I'm sold.

Posted on May 1, 2010 10:29:26 AM PDT
So this watch gets five stars based entirely on a fifty year old advertising campaign and the fact that it looks similar to the watches of that era?

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2010 2:38:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 1, 2010 2:40:15 PM PDT
Caponsacchi says:
Plus the fact that I now have three that I use interchangeably. Also, I'm pleased with the indiglo illumination as well as the accuracy of the time keeping. But if you're hinting that I haven't disassembled the device and carefully examined the clockwork mechanism, I confess that you're absolutely right in that suspicion. In fact, we are frequently beset my numerous brands designating what is essentially the same consumer item. The Madison Avenue game is primarily about building up "brand name" loyalty rather than objective and analytical evaluation of the product. In most cases, the generic or store label will do the job just as effectively as, say, "Bayer" aspirin. Run a search on Amazon, and if you find what appears to be a comparable watch at a lower price, there would be no compelling reason to favor the Timex brand--unless you had a 50-year-allegiance to that brand.--

I forgot to add that it's not the "fifty year old advertising campaign" that I'm addressing as much as a 50-year-old personal relationship with the product.

Posted on Jun 16, 2011 9:11:27 AM PDT
A. Smith says:
This is a gross over-generalization. A) Advances in technology are what continues our survival. B) MANY, MANY young people, including myself, appreciate the simplicity, style and functionality of vintage pieces and analog technology.

Let's not forget, something is always foregone when manufacture moves overseas to China, in particular A) hiring domestic workers and B) (most of the time) quality. Timex's current Chinese manufacturing has plummeted the brand into what we know it as now, a dirt cheap Wal-Mart brand. A manufacturing giant has gone the way of the $2 pair of shoes. Shoddy and cheap, but replaceable.

I find it an interesting fact that Timex.ca (Timex Canada) is a MUCH more stylish and up-to-date website than the US version, Timex.com. Why is that? Why would they market their watches to a higher-brow, more fashionable audience in Canada, but not the US? This seems like questionable marketing.

All that being said, I can't wait for my easy reader (black face) to come in the mail.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2013 6:12:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 28, 2013 6:13:22 PM PDT
J.C. says:
IMO, quality has improved on Timex watches in recent decades. I've one that finally quit working, primarily because last time I replaced the battery I didn't get the case seal quite right so water got in (I never took it off washing hands, only to shower). Actually it does work but stops every now and then, probably needing dried out but I felt it was time to replace it. It was purchased 20-something years ago.

It was a similar style to what they're now calling an easy reader, but it had a plastic crystal instead of mineral glass. Some might say the mineral crystal is an upgrade but I actually preferred the plastic because half the time mine is in my pocket banging against various metal objects. After 20 years my old timex crystal looks like new because I could buff the scratches out with brasso or if deep enough, wet-dry sandpaper then brasso. My new timex, less than 2 months old, already has a scratch in the crystal that I'll never try to buff out. In my use the mineral crystal will shorten the viable lifespan.

Then there's the battery. Recall I didn't get the seal right changing a battery on the old timex. It used a standard silver oxide battery that lasted only 4 years or so. Now these use a lithium battery good for 10 years and ironically enough, doesn't cost any more on Amazon or eBay (postage cost swamps battery cost). Only downside is that battery makes them roughly 1.6 millimeters thicker (the actual thickness of a 2016 cell battery).

Indiglo backlighting - now they have it, while my 20-something yo model doesn't. While I was satisfied with my old Timex for its lifespan, the backlighting is the only reason I was set on getting another Timex.

20 something years ago I paid, lol, 20 something dollars for my old Timex at Biggs, while it sold elsewhere for closer to $30. The price is nearly the same today but the quality has gone up in my opinion.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (563 customer reviews)

$39.95 $27.44
Reviewer

Caponsacchi
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)

Location: Kenosha,, WI United States