5.0 out of 5 stars 5-year After Manufacturer Warranty at an Unbeatable Price!, March 8, 2012
This review is from: LG 5-Year Service Coverage for LCD TVs ($1,001-$2,000) (Electronics)
I purchased a new LG LED 55LW5600 TV from TigerDirect last month (February 2012) since it was a bit cheaper there than it was on Amazon. This TV purchase was to replaced a 5 year old Plasma (LG 50PC5D) which failed. After determining that purchasing a warranty from LG Directly was actually less value for almost the same price, I decided to buy the Amazon-based warranty (LG Direct only allowed for up to 3 years; Amazon has a 5-year plan for $45 more), which I did yesterday (3/7/2012). *** SEE BELOW FOR UPDATE ***

I received a Certificate of Coverage through e-mail overnight, and noticed that the Model Number and Serial Number were absent (obviously because when you purchase this from Amazon, they do not ask for any of this information). I called the 1-866-558-2559 number listed and spoke with a representative to update the information they had on file for me.

Here's the important part -- there have been a lot of reviews to the contrary.

This is NOT a 5-year Warranty AFTER the Manufacturer Warranty has expired. *** SEE BELOW FOR UPDATE ***

The Certificate of Coverage that I received had an effecive date of 3/7/2012, however, after speaking with the representative, she clarified that they do not handle claims during the Manufacturer Warranty period.

She stated that she would update the information on file (the Model and Serial Numbers), and that I would have to submit a "Proof of Purchase" for them to review / update the "Effective Date and Expiration Date." I faxed this information over to them (mainly an Invoice/Shipment confirmation) and they are in the process of updating the Certificate of Coverage.

For those of you who may have other problems, where coverage is listed as "Carry-In" instead of "On-Site" these corrections can also be made. TV's greater than 32" are usually always an On-Site repair.

Update: 3-12-12

This is a 5-year Warranty; however, it is a date of purchase contract. It was explained that even though the "Effective Dates" begins on the product purchase date, ServiceNet (the Warranty provider) will refer any complaints within the first year (aka the Manufacturer's warranty period) to the Manufacturer. Essentially, you are still only getting 4 years of coverage (whether purchased from LG or Amazon).

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 9, 2012 8:29:59 PM PDT
M. Soule says:
A question about purchasing a warranty here when purchasing the TV elsewhere. I contacted the LG Premium care servicenet website and they told me I would need to purchase through them since I did not purchase my TV from Amazon. Are you able to confirm that despite the fact you did not purchase your TV from Amazon you are able to purchase the warranty through Amazon? I purchased mine from Frys

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2012 3:35:25 AM PDT
Jason says:
Yes, you are able to purchase this warranty through Amazon and have your purchase covered. I purchased my TV from TigerDirect and had no problems getting this warranty registered.

When you get your email notification (usually on the same day), the Model number and Serial Number will be blank on the Certificate of Coverage. All I had to do was call the number on the certificate (yes, the service/repair one), and tell them I wanted to update my contract number with the correct model and serial number.

I did go a step further and asked they correct the warranty date. I ended up losing 30 days of coverage because unlike the actual LG ServiceNet warranty, this one starts on the day you purchase the warranty (not the day you purchased the TV). My proof of purchase I had to fax over changed the date to the day I bought the TV (not the week after I received it and installed it).

Barring that in mind, this is still a 4 year warranty (after manufacturer warranty) and you can't really beat the price.

Hopefully this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2012 9:45:01 AM PDT
M. Soule says:
Thanks for the response. Any idea how much time I have to purchase the warranty after the purchase of the TV?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012 8:29:42 AM PDT
Jason says:
LG Premium Care Warranties (available from the LG.yourserviceplan.com site) are able to be purchased up until the last day of the manufacturer's 12-month warranty.

Since Amazon is a dealer of these warranties, I would assume that the same rules apply. I have not tried purchasing a warranty outside of the manufacturer's warranty period (from Amazon or LG). I do know that SquareTrade will not allow you to purchase a warranty past 90-days for TV products (I tried getting one before my 32" LG LCD-TV had problems, which is where I then discovered the LG Premium Care).

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 2:16:37 PM PST
M. Bare says:
Very helpful post. Thanks to M. Soule for asking the same type of questions I was going to ask. I did read in the description that it is from date of purchase, which in my business (furniture and selling service contracts) is typical of an underwriter to make something look better than it is. But, at this price, pretty easy to overlook.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2013 7:22:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 13, 2013 7:24:15 PM PDT
RocB says:
I just purchased an LG 60PH6700 Today from Paul's TV, (their price in store was better than on Amazon even selecting Paul TV as the seller) so if I understood your comment; if I purchase this warranty plan after my TV arrives (in 3 days) it's effective the date of the warranty purchase and not the day I bought the TV. Thanks in advance for your reply and your helpful review.
The plan's price here on Amazon is <$200 than in store, I guess because there is no commission payout as in the store.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›