Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Andra Day Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Now Deal of the Day

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice boots, for about a month. Might as well be made in China., December 13, 2012
This review is from: Chippewa Men's 6" Rugged Handcrafted Lace-Up Boot (Apparel)
I'll keep this short and sweet.

These were great boots, for just over a month. With normal, occasional wear, the Vibram sole split at the toe and began pulling free of the welt. These boots were worn under normal, casual conditions. The same conditions under which pairs of dress shoes have survived for well over two years. They're not exactly what I would classify as "rugged", as the description claims.

I contacted Chippewa when I noticed the issue with the sole. They replied with the boilerplate response, "While we stand proudly behind our products we are not responsible for damages due to customer abuse or neglect and cannot guarantee any boot that has been repaired or altered. We do not warrant soles against wear."

That's great, and totally understandable. But if they would have accepted the boots back for inspection, or at least asked for a picture of the issue, they would have clearly seen that this was a defect in the manufacturing process (probably not enough glue), and not a result of wear, abuse, alteration or neglect.

I contacted Amazon, as per Chippewa's instructions, and they offered me a partial refund of the purchase price to keep them, or a prorated amount if I sent them back. But not a full refund since it fell outside of the return period. I took them up on their offer to keep them and decided to have them resoled with leather soles at a local cobbler.

The upper of the boot is great quality. They will undoubtedly last for a long time if well taken care of. Other reviews lead me to believe that Chippewa makes a great product. So I apparently got a rare defective pair of boots. Something that would have been understood and completely forgiven if Chippewa had actually stood behind their product.

I bought American made because I expected quality. And I had hoped an American company would stand behind their product. They did not. I guess you get what you pay for. Thankfully Amazon partially stood behind the product they sold so the net loss wasn't too significant.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 29, 2012 5:22:55 PM PST
Josh says:

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 5:38:57 PM PST
M. Deppisch says:
Not so, the sole split at the connection between the welt and the Vibram... The Vibram itself was fully intact.

Posted on Feb 16, 2013 12:56:50 AM PST
Kevin says:
so how much did Amazon comp you ?

Posted on Feb 10, 2015 8:24:26 PM PST
Interesting that Chippewa gave you such a bad response. I had a rivet come loose and contacted them. They had me send them in for inspection and sent me a free pair of replacement boots within a week.

Posted on Mar 7, 2015 11:11:55 AM PST
J. Geib says:
What method did you use to contact Chippewa? Email, Phone? I cannot imagine them not offering a replacement if the sole separated. This is a defect, not wear and tear after a month of use! Sounds like you got a customer service rep having a bad day.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2015 11:21:34 AM PST
M. Deppisch says:
I contacted them via email and sent photos. It certainly seemed like a defect to me, especially where it separated. The direct quote from the email was "in the event that you feel you have purchased a pair of our boots that are defective in material or workmanship; please return them to the retail store or to the Internet dealer where you purchased them for an inspection."

So I contacted Amazon, because that seemed to be my only option. It seems ridiculous that I have to go to the intermediary to correct an issue with the manufacturer.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›