4.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I was expecting... Except it actually works., February 7, 2012
This review is from: Asus Dual Band Wireless-N 600 SOHO Router, Fast Ethernet, 8 Guest SSID, Parental Access Time Control (RT-N53) (Personal Computers)
So, previous reviewers have brought up a lot of great points. Two things to lay to rest... This router is easy to deal with. If you can't follow simple instructions on how to log on after typing in a simple address in the browser? Well, have your kid set up your router for you. Also, the ethernet ports for sharing connections really are only 10/100, not gigabit. This doesn't really matter if you are an average home user, but I know a lot of hardware geeks care. I guess that just makes me a lazy hardware geek, but really, that's over three times wider than the average pipeline to the world-wide weberverse that you're probably sharing with everyone else in your household... I suppose if you're doing massive file transfers on your home network it could be a problem, but then, this isn't the router for you in the first place.

The good things about the Black Diamond Dual Band Wireless-N 600 are really good. Easy configuration (despite despicably written English menus with god-awful grammar,) is just the tip of the iceberg. This little gem is rock-stable. I've had it plugged in for over two weeks after configuring its' brains out with our new cable internet set up, and it hasn't had to be reset once. That is light-years better than my old Wireless-G, Apple-branded, $200 Piece of stink from 2006, which needed to be reset every two or three days to keep providing a gateway to the internet through a modem. The N 600 has all the standard security choices (WPA-2 PSK being the most important), and one can restrict control of the router to wired connections. It has a configurable firewall, and even offers the ability, for no good reason I can see given the relative lack of power in the hardware, for Enterprise-class WPA-2 encryption. At the end of day, it's fast, too. I can stream video from the gaming computer I have attached to my TV (cable connected to the computer,) to my laptop, and my boyfriend's laptop, all at once with no slowdowns or trouble with internet usage. It simply makes a seamless Windows Home Group possible. It's the first time I've ever networked anything without wanting to scream. It all just works. Further, you can restrict access to multiple SSID's on the same to only certain of the router's services. For instance, the main SSID on my router is for my desktop and family laptops only, and provides access to a network space for file-sharing and streaming. The guest network, on the other hand, has no such network access, and has a throttle to its' internet connection, giving priority to computers on the main SSID. And this wasn't hard to set up in the least. A far-cry from yesteryear!

The bad... Well, it's not really all that bad. Sure, the menus are in some of the most regrettable English I've ever seen, but I'm willing to forgive grammatic sins given that the hardware is more than sufficient for my purposes. I guess that the one thing I don't really like, and the real reason I'm giving only four stars, is that there are at least two separate wireless radios in the thing... So why can't the 5 GHz radio be N-only, while the 2.4 GHz radios (or even just the guest network,) are all tuned to mixed mode? Perhaps this will be configurable in future versions of ASUS' slightly basic firmware. Who knows? It's something to work on, anyway, in what is otherwise the most awesome router I've ever owned.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 26, 2012 1:55:10 PM PDT
Scott says:
"I'm giving only four stars, is that there are at least two separate wireless radios in the thing... So why can't the 5 GHz radio be N-only, while the 2.4 GHz radios (or even just the guest network,) are all tuned to mixed mode? Perhaps this will be configurable in future versions of ASUS' slightly basic firmware. Who knows? It's something to work on, anyway, in what is otherwise the most awesome router I've ever owned."

Hi. Do you have any news regarding your last comment?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2012 6:01:59 PM PDT
J. Nichols says:
Sadly, none. The new firmware is a little difficult to figure out a first, but doesn't seem to solve any of the issues with mixed mode mentioned in my review. It does, however, improve the way the router runs in general. If you like the idea of this hunk of plastic, I'm still one to say 'buy it.'

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 6:09:24 AM PDT
Paulo says:
Gigabit routers shouldn't be a must if you also have a Gigabit switch... I got a lot of wired connections to my TVs, media players etc and these mostly access local content. So the router is really only used to route to the Internet and indeed my Internet connection is 10x slower than Fast Ethernet.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›