3.0 out of 5 stars Great Design, its just the ruggedness thats the problem, January 15, 2009
This review is from: Bowflex SelectTech 552 Adjustable Dumbbells (Pair) (Sports)
No question great design - 5 out of 5 rating for sure. Support is a 4, pretty good. Where they fall down is on ruggedness. There may be improvements in the 2009 versions but the main problem with my 2008 set is many of the parts are made with plastics. There is 52 lb maximum of weight and thats alot to ask to support of some of the types of plastics used to construct this product. The minor flaw in my view is the choice of materials for this product. For example, the spindles that pick up and hold each plate in place are made of a thin hard but brittle plastic. If you do a set on a bench, get exhausted and drop these weights by more then a inch or 2 on the floor, these plastic spindles have a tendency to break. The hand unit, minus the weights will need to be replaced. Bowflex has a 2 year warranty and were pretty good about sending out a new handle. The handle got to me within about 5 days. For me I would rather they make the spindles out of a metal and pay $50 more. That is a testament to how much I love these weights. I am more careful with them now. So if you can see your way to either being very caring with these weights or rough on them and getting replacements (for free under the 1st 2 years warranty), I would not hesitate in buying these units. Otherwise, save yourself some aggravation and buy something else.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 23, 2009 8:53:46 AM PDT
J. Davila says:
While your review is appreciated, it seems that your posted opinion is based on the 2008 model dumbbells instead the 2009 models. Do you own a set of both 2008 and 2009 dumbbells? I just would like that clarified.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2009 9:11:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 31, 2009 9:13:48 AM PDT
My set are 2008 based and I mentioned it in the body of my review. So if you can get your hands on them before you buy, have a look at the spindles. They are likely still plastic if there has been no increase in price. You can still give them a try, just be careful with them.

Posted on Mar 1, 2010 11:05:24 AM PST
Ali Hussain says:
I agree, just be careful with them and they will last a long time. These were definitely not designed to be dropped after performing sets (i.e. incline bench press). I've had mine since July 2008 and haven't had a single issue. I use mine about 4-5 times a week too.

As long as you are careful with these weights and understand that they aren't rough dumbbells that can be dropped without damage, then you will love them.

Posted on Apr 16, 2010 10:33:08 AM PDT
JC says:
These dumbbells are HIGHLY dangerous. PLEASE READ THE REVIEWS WITH ONLY 1 STAR. The plastic pieces on the weights break off easily meaning that that the weight plates can easily fall off when in use. Some people have been hurt. I had the same thing happen to me. I have filed a complaint with the Consumer Product Safety Commission. http://www.cpsc.gov/cgibin/incident.aspx

Posted on Feb 7, 2011 9:49:15 PM PST
I'm sorry, but there aren't many weights that are meant to be dropped. However, I do see the point you are trying to make. Thank you for the warning.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2011 3:12:58 AM PST
Your kidding me right? Yes your kidding me. Nice joke. Go to any gym in the world and you will see all kinds of weights being dropped and they survive for decades - barbells, dumbells, you name it. And they are designed to survive drops. At the exteme weightlifting and bodybuilding gyms owners tolerate weights dropping because the bodybuilders and powerlifters working out there often train to exhaustion on reps and drop the weights. The regular joe gyms frown upon it.

Posted on Apr 19, 2011 10:41:38 PM PDT
Mr. Rowntree is spot on. A 110-pound product should hold up to more than just "gentle handling". Dumbbells will be bumped, jostled, and dropped with routine use. I can't understand why even the priciest adjustable dumbbell models seem to be constructed with plastic knobs and trays. Does anyone know of a brand with more rugged construction that is not a full-blown, $1200 rack of dumbbells?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2011 5:54:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 20, 2011 5:55:03 PM PDT
Iron Master dumbells from what I read are pretty rugged. I haven't gotton a set yet but I plan on it... You can't change weight quite as quick, but they even show the guys dropping them. Their around $500.00 with a stand, and I believe they go up to 75 pounds per dumbell for that price.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2011 4:48:49 AM PDT
Iron masters are very good dumbbells and very sturdy. The problem I had with them is that for P90X it took time to change out the weights. With the Bowflex its very quick and easy.

Posted on Jul 26, 2011 5:24:02 PM PDT
Was about to write a review, but this says it exactly. I've owned the 2008 version for, well, since 2008 and they finally completely failed in several places last week. Many of the plastic sheaths around the weight discs have split open, I had to cut off some of the plastic to get it to function properly, and finally one came off completely making that disc unusable. AND, when this happened the 5-pound weight fell straight on my food, taking several days to recover from the large & painful bruise. However, when I look back: 3 years of using these every 2 or 3 days (and not treating them that nice) is a pretty good deal.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (1,384 customer reviews)
 (1,061)