1.0 out of 5 stars Just keep it off your machine until they decide to make the "beta" a real product., February 17, 2008
This review is from: Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac Home & Student Edition [Old Version] (Software)
I just bought a MacBook Pro 15". I love it. I am an Attorney and so I was concerned about making sure everything I produce on this machine is compatible with microsoft documents and programs. I bought the Macbook Pro because I didn't want to deal with Vista and because I am over microsoft in general --hot fixes, service packs, all sorts of SLOP work...and then this most recent and astounding inability to produce a stable product. Anyway, it was a big deal for me to buy a Macbook Pro rather than a Toshiba with Vista preloaded..I digress.

THE PROBLEM: I loaded microsoft Office for Mac, 2008 Home and Student Edition with hopes of using it. I shortly found that COMMON fonts do not transfer in Word, Excel does not work as smoothly and then I received a "Welcome to Entourage" email from microsoft that literally overwrote a weeks worth of emails. Poof! all gone! (gratefully I only had a weeks worth before my welcome email) I called microsoft to ask if there was a way to unwrite the overwritten and was promptly told that I need to establish a "case number" before they could process my inquiry. A Case number? good grief---A CASE NUMBER. Is it that bad? Yes, I could see how many companies may want to sue microsoft for all kinds of things right now. Anyway, I promptly uninstalled Office for Mac 2008 and I will return it. Maybe microsoft will decide to fix this BETA, surely we can expect microsoft to service pack/ hot fix this product to death and then MAYBE in six months at least something as minor as the default settings will coincide with the real world.

THE FUTURE: Will I ever install a microsoft product onto the mac side of my HD again? --Not until mircosoft decides to come clean and deliver a product that isn't messed up. Who do these people think they are? How long do they think we'll just take it? Well, this time I didn't take it, instead---- I took it back.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 24, 2008 11:38:02 AM PST
*THE SOLUTION: I partitioned the hard drive on my macbook, installed WINDOWS XP and loaded my copy of 2003 Office Suite. Everything is perfect now. I get to have the very best laptop in the world and all this great functioning apple software (If you haven't made the switch---you will love Apple --it's so clean). I can create documents (because I must) THAT DON'T CRASH on the other side of my mac HD (the dark side). It's like having two computers in one; the preferred being the Apple. Why can't Apple make microsoft Office? (yes I really do know why). *

--- LMAO... Welcome to the Mac Family. I've been a Mac user since 1984. (& lived in Billings 1997-1999, now I'm North of Billings. *G*) You could try iWork08 (by Apple; their inexpensive solution to the Office "suite"). Your solution was brilliant. Too bad it was even necessary, but... so unsurprising. If Office 2004 can run on your Mac, that would be another possible alternative for you. Good luck! :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2009 1:43:38 AM PDT
P. LoPresti says:
I would agree. iwork is much superior to office. Office 2004 runs very slow on mac operating systems too...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2009 2:13:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 20, 2009 2:15:10 PM PDT
Interesting comments! Thanks for posting!
-- At an Apple store, a "business partner" who works for the store recommended this strange strategy of buying a Mac, and booting it into Windows.
-- Is it true what some have stated here, that the current version of Microsoft Office for the Mac does not have integrated macros? At Apple stores, the "specialists" and "creatives" are unwilling to discuss this with me. They suggest using a system level scripting add-in, that records keystrokes, which gives up the object oriented integration of former versions of Microsoft Office.
-- Is OpenOffice an alternative?
-- I ask because I need to regain the integrated scripting that I had way back in the time of Microsoft Office 97 for Windows 98, which included visual basic, with object oriented IDE, integrated across all office functions, whether spreadsheet, word processor, or database. I simply cannot work without macros and scripting. I am not going to waste time on repetitive clickin' and dragin', typing the same things over and over. I know, this easy to understand but repetitive strategy is the Mac way, and not the geeky PC hackin' macro way, but I cannot tolerate the waste of my time with boring, monotonous, and error prone typing and mousing.
-- I suspect that macros and scripts have been banished from the Mac universe, to discourage viruses and spyware. In the world of Windows, the scripting hosts have been the royal road, so to speak, for infiltration by viruses and subversion by spyware.
-- Can anyone enlighten me, or correct me? I hope that Macs DO, in fact, have some safe and sane alternatives for scripting, in order to get the computer to do the repetitive work with software, letting us humans attend to the creative and intuitive work, with our wetware.
-- The Apple store "business partner specialist" suggested that I purchase a new Mac, and reboot it into Windows 98, in order to run Office 97 with my old visual basic macros. How bizarre! But the business partner assured me that, that is his strategy for selling Macs to businesses who have invested a lot of development and training into old, legacy software.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2009 6:41:25 PM PDT
What makes iwork superior? I'm not debating, but asking sincerely. I am a long time PC user recently switched to Mac and find iwork incredibly frustrating because it does not have an interface that makes basic word processing easy, like changing to double spaced typing, or formatting paragraphs with different margins. I'm sure it's just that I have not yet figured out how to do it, but I am a pretty smart guy, and this should be easy stuff, yet the menu options do not make it so.

Posted on Mar 26, 2010 12:15:13 PM PDT
JJ says:
How did you manage to return the office software if it was opened?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2010 10:36:52 PM PDT
notrealname says:
It's called the Inspector. Figure it out.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.5 out of 5 stars (733 customer reviews)

$149.95 $109.80