440 of 453 people found the following review helpful
A Manual for Success,
This review is from: The Magic of Thinking Big (Paperback)
Simple actionable advice for self-improvement. Basically, we are what we think, so think big.
1) Build confidence in yourself. Action reduces fear, so act.
Take small steps at first: Sit in the front everywhere you go, practice eye contact, walk 25% faster, practice speaking up, smile big, use positve words.
2) Think and dream creatively. Believe that it can be done and then the mind finds a way to get it done. Be open to new ideas and be progressive. Stimulate yourself with diverse ideas from diverse people. Capacity is a state of mind.
3) You are what you think. "The price tag you put on yourself, is probably the same price tag that the world will put on you." (pg 75) Dress up. Think your work is important. Think enthusiastically. Ask yourself if you are the type of manager that a subordinate would respect and follow?
4) Manage your environment because it is food for your mind.
People who tell you that it cannot be done are usually unsuccessful people.
5) Make your attitudes your allies. Live it up. Broadcast good news. Do better work that others expect. Remember people's names. Take initiative to build friendships. Talk less. Listen.
6) Get the action habit. Nothing happens just by thinking. Do not worry about problems. You can handle them as they come. Successful people handle problems as they arise. You cannot buy insurance on all problems. Start now.
7) Turn defeat into victory. Defeat is a state of mind. Be constructively self-critical; do not just look for another reason that you are a loser. Think that there IS A WAY. If it does not work, then back off and start afresh. Get mentally refreshed.
8) Use goals to help you grow. Goal is a dream acted upon. "The important thing is not where you were or where you are but where you want to get." (pg 195) Know where you want to go. Visualize your future.
9) How to think like a leader. Achieving success requires the help of others. Trade minds with the people you want to influence. "What would I think if I were that person?" Be human, and put people first.
The last words of the book, sum up its meaning:
"A wise man will be master of His Mind. A Fool will be Its Slave."
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 10, 2012 2:39:12 PM PST
Larry Jones says:
Thanks for breaking it down for me chapter by chapter. Your review was extremely helpful! I'm sold and am going to buy it. Thanks!
Posted on Apr 10, 2014 9:24:51 AM PDT
Constantin Gabor says:
Love your summary! Thanks!
Posted on Oct 27, 2014 7:56:39 AM PDT
This book is Amazing, great review!!! I would like to connect with you
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2014 8:00:30 AM PDT
Hi , how did this book work out for you, let's connect and evaluate
Posted on Jun 5, 2015 3:59:10 PM PDT
Amazon Customer says:
Posted on Sep 19, 2015 12:40:40 PM PDT
Caliph Herald says:
Wow, I just copied your review to make notes for the book. You probably gave me all the "meat" that I needed from this book. THANK YOU. What a review!
Posted on Apr 19, 2016 3:33:31 AM PDT
Rex McGuinness says:
Awesome review - many thanks!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›