4.0 out of 5 stars Great option for all users, January 23, 2009
This review is from: Creative Labs Vado HD 720p Pocket Video Camcorder with 8 GB Video Storage and 2x Digital Zoom (Black) OLD MODEL (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Length:: 8:20 Mins

*** Update*** Please note- by downloading Perian you will be able to use IMovie and Quicktime. Please see the link below and download Perian and you can enjoy Vado videos on your Mac! At some point I will update the video - however until then know that I was able to get the Vado HD to work on my Mac.

[...]

*********************************************************

The Creative Labs Vado HD Is both a great handheld video camera and one that is useless. If you are a PC owner and using Windows based software you will be well pleased. However, if you are a Mac user you will be unable to watch the videos without downloading a program such as VLC, downloading Perian, or without converting the files using a program like Roxio Crunch Win/Mac.

In my video review I compare the Creative Labs Vado HD to the Flip Video MinoHD Camcorder, 60 Minutes (Black). I will say that both cameras have their advantages - the Mino has a better appearance and it works well with Macs. The Creative Labs Vado HD has more functionality, but qithout downloading Perian it is restricted to Windows based PCS.

Here are things that I like about the Vado
- Three different setting for picture quality. The truth is that not everything needs to be recorded in HD. In fact, if you are uploading to YouTube HD movies can take forever. The Mino HD only has one capture setting.
- I like the flexible USB connection
- Large screen for a small hand-held camcorder - probably about 50% bigger than the Mino HD
- Removable battery - I am not sure what you are supposed to do when the battery dies on the Mino HD
- Wider angle of video capture - the Vado allows you to record a much larger area when compared to the Mino HD.
- Comes with HD cables for connection to your television.
- Windows based software is intuitive and easy to use.

Areas for Improvement

- You must download Perian in order for videos to play on Mac.
- Compared to the Mino HD the Creative Labs Vado looks cheap.

Final Verdict -

4 Stars

Buy with confidence if you are using a Windows based PC -there is a little more risk if you are a Mac user Which camera should you buy... The Vado HD may have a slight edge for Window users - if you are using a Mac the Vado is still may be a nice choice, but you may need to download Perian or use a converting program like Roxio Crunch.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 23, 2009 6:20:44 PM PST
A review posted yesterday doesn't seem to agree with your Mac assessment. Do you have an older Mac OS? See Great HD Pocket Camera, Only 1 issue for me!!!, January 22, 2009
By Tarun Chachra "Tarun Chachra" stated the following:
Computer Connectivity:
MAC OS X Leopard:
No drivers needed.
Showed up as a usb Volume immediately.
iPhoto automatically detected camera and came up with import options.
Video Played in Quicktime. Awesome!
Was also able to browse to the camera and manually open AVI file.
Also, another reviewer had what seemed was a simple work-around-->
I'm a Mac user and I was aware of VadoHD's lack of support on Mac but, I did not care of the editing application on Mino (not MinoHD) as its too slow to startup and edit. Instead, I always used VisualHub (its no longer supported) and MPEG Streamclip. With perian plug-in, I had no problems playing the videos from VadoHD in Quicktime.
You might want to do a little research to make your experience be better on the Mac. I agree that Creative could (and should) market their products to Mac Users and provide a growing population with some decent (and included in the package) software.
I'm also a Mac User and look forward to adding my review after my Vado HD arrives. Good Luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2009 6:17:22 AM PST
CKE says:
I asked Tarun that very same question.

I am running an up-to-date version of Leopard
I have the newest version of Quicktime
I am using IMovie 2007

In my video you can see that it doesn't play on IMovie. I am as confused as you are - I will say that other reviewers have had similar issues between the Vado and IMovie, so I am not an isolated case. I will definitely update my review if I find out anything different.

Posted on Jan 31, 2009 11:47:48 PM PST
L. Mah says:
Now that you've installed Perian, are you able to edit in iMovie with all the same ease as if they were MP4 videos like the ones Flip MinoHD creates? Thanks for a great review!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2009 5:57:46 AM PST
CKE says:
Yep, Perian ha taken care of all of my compatibility issues. I will update my video review when I get a chance.

Posted on Feb 4, 2009 12:22:05 AM PST
D. Vo says:
Are you calling the other product a Mini-Oh?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2009 10:23:32 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 4, 2009 10:28:56 PM PST
L. Mah says:
Hi Kevin - I bought the Vado based on your information, love the unit... but while I can see the video in QuickTime, iMovie doesn't recognize the videos! I've tried it on both iMovie '08 and '09. I have Perian 1.1.3 installed. iPhoto will import the videos, but not iMovie. I'm generally very computer savvy, but I'm not able to get iMovie to see or play the files without first converting the file to a QuickTime movie using QuickTime Pro. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2009 11:10:38 PM PST
L. Mah says:
Okay, I think I see what's going on. ********THERE ARE TWO DIFFERENT PROGRAMS: iMovie HD, and iMovie. *******

I just noticed from your video review you are using iMovie HD which is version 6.0.3 - last updated January 2007. It works for me using that 2007 version of iMovie HD, but NOT iMovie '08 or '09. iMovie HD converts the files automatically on import to .dv files. I've been scouring the internet for info on this stuff and between that and what I've observed from my troubleshooting today I'm confident in my conclusion. Here is a pertinent discussion from the Apple forums:

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2009 9:38:40 AM PST
CKE says:
L.Mah, I will say that it is pretty confusing. Much like you, I am a bit more computer savvy than the average Joe, however I did have a tough time getting everything to work.

I was not aware of the problems with IMovie '08 or '09 - I am sorry that you are having compatability issues. I will say that it is a bit of a mess - I am not sure why Apple is so restrictive on video formats. I am sure that they will create a plug-in to fix the problem, but who wants to wait.

Have you contacted the Genius Bar at Apple? With any luck they have seen the problem before and may have a simple fit.

Also, if I hear of any fixes for IMovie '08 or '09 I will post it into the body of my review as an UPDATE.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2009 12:35:36 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 6, 2009 12:37:11 AM PST
L. Mah says:
Actually I doubt Apple will create a plug-in to fix the problem. I don't understand the reasoning, but they could have long ago built in the ability to play AVI files, but never have. Yes, the Perian codec works great, but it's not an Apple product. If you try to play an AVI, QuickTime gives you no help at all, for example, linking you to the perian.org download page. Don't get me wrong - I LOVE Apple's Mac OS X and my many Macs, I just don't understand their thinking on this one.

I am planning to keep the Vado HD despite all this, and just convert the files when I want to edit them on iMovie '09 using QuickTime Pro, iSquint, or even iMovie HD from 2007. I like the wider angle lens, the larger display, the removable battery, and the larger memory enough to put up with this, especially since I don't enjoy the hassle of returning a product, as easy as Amazon makes it. I can convert the files overnight while I'm sleeping if there are a lot of them so it's not too inconvenient. If I had known all this before I bought it, I may have gone with the Flip MinoHD... kind of a toss up.

I haven't been to the Genius Bar on this, but I'm 99.9% certain that they won't have any better solution for this. Make that 98% :) Thanks again for your initial review!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2009 1:40:49 PM PDT
J. Gipson says:
I got it to work in iMovieHD..
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

CKE
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Location: USA