1,284 of 1,380 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Waterpik first timer (for the product AND periodontal disease!), December 1, 2007
This review is from: Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser (Health and Beauty)
I've always prided myself on my good teeth. I thought that flossing and brushing was enough...that was until I went to the dentist, and he said I had the beginnings of periodontal disease. That scared the hell out of me.

I went home and started using the Sonicare I had bought but never plugged in. That was good, but not enough - I bought a Waterpik because obviously flossing wasn't cutting it.

I had never used a Waterpik before, and it was some revelation! I'm still amazed that there are some Waterpik oldtimers who say this machine isn't strong enough...uh, for what? Peeling paint off a brick wall? This thing absolutely knocked my socks off when it came to the PRESSURE.

I started out at 2 and worked my way up to 7 - it still stings like mad, but I'm getting used to it by now. I put Listerine in the tank to increase the anti-bacteria result.

My dentist went on vacation, and I had to cancel another appointment, so it happened that almost two months had elapsed since the last time I had seen him. In that time, I faithfully brushed with the Sonicare four times a day and used the Waterpik at least once (several tankfuls of water and Listerine worth.)

Regarding the leaking people talk about - the only time the tank leaks, I notice, is if I put my fingers on the seal when I'm refilling it. If I'm careful to keep my fingers away from that seal, the tank is water tight.

So when I returned for my check-up, the dentist was AMAZED. He wasn't sure what I had done, but he said my gums looked pink and healthy! He had said initially I'd have to get my teeth cleaned every three months because I must be one of those people who gets a tartar build up quicker than other people...well, I had worked religiously on scaling back the plaque. (I had also bought a dental mirror so I could check the back of my front teeth for telltale plaque residue.)

Hmmm, no comment about that plaque...was it because there WASN'T any? My dentist asked me if I had been eating because there was so little build up (I had to tear that out of him because I KNEW he didn't want to give me credit for working that hard on my dental hygiene!)

The dentist HADN'T recommended a Waterpik, but I knew I had to go to the extreme to beat back the periodontal enemy. My teeth are so clean, they squeak!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 9 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 36 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 14, 2009 8:03:48 PM PST
I just loved the way the story was told! I never felt compelled to write a comment, especially on a product review!!!
Well done!

Posted on Mar 3, 2009 8:27:16 PM PST
RixMart4U says:
Thanks for your delightful write-up, I too am new to the "Water Pik" family...
And YES, you are another first for me too! That is to respond to a great review!!!

Posted on Dec 15, 2009 5:09:37 PM PST
S. Mckinley says:
I've never left a comment either but what the heck, thanks for the great review, I'm ordering one now!

Posted on May 20, 2010 10:23:38 AM PDT
KGMSML says:
This is a great review!

Posted on May 25, 2010 10:38:28 PM PDT
You really sold it for many, with your story. Thanks ^_^

Posted on Jun 7, 2010 1:38:43 PM PDT
Two kids mom says:
Long time since a review made me laugh out loud...

Posted on Aug 23, 2010 4:46:48 PM PDT
I have never written back on a review like many of these others haven't either....but GREAT review. I am concerned of my own gum care and am a irregular flosser myself. I am really excited to receive my own. I actually read an article titled something like "what dentists think but won't tell you" and one dentist stated that they wish that the water pik would make a come-back because of how effective they are. And to actually hear a detailed account of your success and the dentists reaction...well, that is just damn funny! Thanks!

Posted on Nov 18, 2010 3:25:00 AM PST
Hoofhoof says:
It is good that You are taking care of Your teeth, and proud of it. However excessive use of mouthwash is detrimental to Your mouth's health. I am not talking about the cancer rumor, that associates excessive use of Listerine with oral cancer, but it is true that it will cause soft tissue damage over time and can promote yeast growth. If You do not have risk of periodontal disease anymore I would suggest You go back to using Listerine 2x a day without the waterpik, and use waterpik with water only.

Posted on Dec 6, 2010 8:46:06 AM PST
Do you mind telling what Sonicare you used...I ck.d and there are quite a few??Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2011 6:16:12 AM PST
Becky Brooks says:
I agree, I would knock off the mouth wash. You don't need that if you clean well with water and brush your teeth. Also my waterpik which is the same as this model states that you are not to put anything in it besides water.

I love mine too and was just on here ordering one for my daughter who tried mine and loved it
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (6,776 customer reviews)
 (4,516)