5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Cast Iron Foods for Modern Tastes, March 25, 2012
This review is from: Lodge Cast Iron Cookbook A Treasury of Timeless, Delicious Recipes (Paperback)
I'm surprised to see how little other reviewers like this book. I am often the odd-reviewer out. And I'm still sticking with the review I wrote; I enjoyed the book, we've had great eats from the recipes, and the "chatty" parts made me smile. I recently saw a book that was a serious waste of of a cook's time, and a FalconGuide that maybe interesting to those who are looking for an option outside this book. Here's the rest of the review:

Cast Iron cookery is trendy once again. Perhaps the changes of income and economy remind us that value is often reflected in length of use rather than throw-away products. Cast iron is perhaps the hallmark of this value and Lodge Logic is the rock star of cast iron. Most people know it--if you have any you probably love it! The many applications and ways you can use any piece from Lodge Logic is truly astounding.

The arrival of this cookbook is welcome and exciting. A variety of other cookbooks have come on the market at the same time. Don't despair! As trustworthy as their equipment, the Lodge Logic brand on this book does not disappoint.

My first spin through the book revealed more recipes of interest than I could possible make for one review--I always make at least three but time limits to me to usually no more than five. My first list included well over 20 selections. Other valuable qualities also showed up during the initial handling of the book.

Those of you who read my reviews on a regular basis know how much I dislike cookbooks that are hard to keep open. Novel-style binding is normal in the current market. This book offers a pleasant surprise. The cover is thicker than the usual sleek, thin format. In addition, the binding is pre-creased to make it easier to stay open. As a result once I popped the book into my holder that also covers the book from splatters I didn't have to touch again. A huge relief for any dishes requiring messy hands.

The pages are also heavier than many books on the market right now. Although you may look at the price and consider it a bit pricey, the publishing values are designed to hold up for longer than any of the competition. Even better, I easily predict a number of these recipes will become standards in your house. Best of all, you can reproduce most of them indoors or out thanks to versatile cast iron.

All of the recipes tested met with positive feedback. Although the Simple Berry Skillet Cobbler really won the taste testers over and introduced interesting ways to use a skillet, there was one recipe no one could resist. In fact, it even got an embarrassing nickname. Polish Pork and Cabbage Stew is one of those rare recipes that is easy, manageable, with to-die-for results. Yes, it has a few steps but none of them are hard at all and well worth the process.

Visit your local health food store or upscale market for the small amount of juniper berries needed. I was literally able to buy just the 12 needed so the cost wasn't an issue.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 9, 2014 2:02:51 AM PST
lola says:

Posted on Mar 18, 2014 10:07:29 PM PDT
ducky says:
Thank you for your relatively detailed review. Unlike the previous commenter, I do care about how easy the cookbook is to actually use and refer to while cooking. I have been frustrated by cookbooks whose pages will not stay open, or require dainty handling to prevent tearing. I am also frustrated by cookbooks which needlessly require page turning when the recipe is only a page long. If I was only looking to browse a recipe or 2, I'd get the book from the library. If I want to have a go-to reference for years of cooking, I'd like the pages to remain in the book. (My ancient Fanny Farmer can be forgiven, at more than 70 years old.)

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2014 11:46:29 AM PDT
Kit says:
Au contraire! I certainly want to know if the cookbook won't stay open while I'm following the directions and cooking. I would also like to know if the book was poorly made. Really!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (257 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $13.27