5.0 out of 5 stars Best phone available in the U.S. right now; love it for streaming music, May 22, 2012
This review is from: HTC One X 4G Android Phone, Gray (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
I waited a little too long to upgrade from my old iPhone 3G (not even a 3Gs). Having experienced just how slow a smartphone can get before becoming completely obsolescent, I wanted a phone with enough RAM and processing power, to remain fast for the next two years until I'm eligible for my next upgrade. I also wanted a bigger screen and 4G/LTE for better streaming music performance.

After a LOT of research, I narrowed my choices to three phones: the HTC One X, Samsung Galaxy 3, and iPhone 5. Only one of those phones is available NOW in the U.S. (May 2012): The HTC One X. I'm glad I didn't wait. It is a beutiful phone with an incredible display and a great "feel" in the hand. It is also FAST--no matter what I throw at it, it doesn't slow down.

If my old iPhone could have held on until this fall, I'd probably wait for the iPhone 5, but I didn't want to settle for a 4S with half the RAM of high-end Android phones like the One X, a 3.5" screen, and only 3G connectivity. Likewise, I considered waiting until the U.S. version of the Galaxy 3 was released, but I just couldn't wait any longer and wasn't convinced it would be a better phone for me than the One X in any case.

I read a lot of reviews comparing the One X to the Samsung Galaxy 3. Bottom line: it is probably a draw for the most part, with most professional reviewers prefering the case design of the One X, but noting the onboard storage advantage of the G3 with its removable micro sd card.

More onboard storage would be nice, but there is no need for tons of onboard storage if you embrace "the cloud." I use Google music to access my music library, but rely mainly on streaming music (Spotify, SiriusXM) with my unlimited AT&T data plan and solid 4G LTE coverage where I live (D.C. metro area). The phone also comes with a Dropbox Pro account with 25 GB of cloud storage for two years.

If you need a phone now, and don't want to settle for an iPhone 4S with only ~half a gig of RAM, 3.5" screen, and 3G, this is the best phone available in the U.S. It will probably be a draw between the One X and G3 if you can wait until mid- late-summer. If you can wait until the fall, it might be worth seeing what the last device designed by Steve Jobs--the iPhone 5--looks like.

[Add comment]