5.0 out of 5 stars A beginning and an end, January 6, 2009
This review is from: The Three Stooges Collection, Vol. 5: 1946-1948 (DVD)
While this collection of shorts fails to measure up to the ones that preceded them, this is an important point in the career of The Three Stooges.

The shorts on this volume represent the height of Curly's sad demise - by 1946, he was very ill and ultimately never returned to the act on a full-time basis after suffering a stroke during the filming of Half Wits Holiday. These final Curly shorts are among the worst of his Stooge years but for very understandable reasons. He had a brief cameo in 1947's Hold That Lion, which is featured on this set.

When Curly couldn't continue as a member of the team, Shemp returned and would stay with them until his own death in 1955. Shemp is criminally underrated by the average fan. He wasn't Curly, but Shemp was a very gifted comic in his own right. Curly and Shemp were two very different comics but both excelled at their type of comedy. Give Shemp a shot.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 26, 2009 10:45:18 AM PST
TedG says:
I completely agree with MoeHailstone,Shemp is largely underrated......it's taken all this time from watching them as an 8 year old to the 43 year old adult I am now to realize this, and to also realise that Larry is my favorite Stooge....!

Posted on Jan 27, 2009 10:30:46 AM PST
I am another stooge fan (46 yrs. and counting) who believes Shemp was underrated. I think he was great and I love all the episodes with Shemp.

Posted on Feb 4, 2009 8:35:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 4, 2009 8:43:01 PM PST
BIGBEAT says:
I place most of these Shemp shorts right up there with Curly's best, and I love Curly! I am just as excited as I was waiting for the first 4 volumes. I never compared the two, I just took a natural liking to Shemp when he took over for Curly. Probably because he was just funny in his own way.
As MoeHailstone points out this is an important point in the 3 stooges career. Just as it looks like the stooges shorts are suffering, along comes Shemp and it's like a new beginning. He is that good!

Posted on Feb 16, 2009 12:32:36 PM PST
BOB SZVETICS says:
i think they were all great moe larry curly shemp joe and curly joe who tried his best but there was only one curly columbia has done a super job of restoring the one and only three stooges you would think they wer filmed yeserday great job maybe there release all these shorts in color the color dvds i have now look super

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2009 9:54:17 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 21, 2009 9:43:39 PM PDT
ImEzekiel65 says:
TedG, we're the same age (43), and I have always loved Shemp. He flat out rules! People were always comparing him to Curly, even though they were two different characters. While Curly was simple-minded and innocent, Shemp was more worldly and streetwise, yet he was still a clown. "Fright Night", his first short with the Stooges, is one of my favorites. The scene in the gym where Shemp does the boxing shuffle with the champ puts me away every time I see it. My dad and I watched that one a while back, and we were both in tears from laughing so hard.

Looking forward to this collection. And just remember: Shemp Happens!!

Posted on Feb 21, 2009 10:07:38 AM PST
DLockhart64 says:
Totally agree about Shemp. The only reason people hated him was because he wasn't Curly. I use to imitate Shemp snoring when I was a kid...lol

Posted on Mar 14, 2009 3:59:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 14, 2009 4:00:12 AM PDT
Phil S. says:
Good review. I'm constantly researching the reported second Curly cameo - Malice in the Palace. There are many stories about the appearance. The only evidence at this point is in a lobby card still with Curly dressed as a Chef, confronting Moe, Larry, and Shemp. The latest rumour is that Curly actually visited the set but didn't participate in the film.
I wonder if you might know of the status of this historic (presumed) footage?
Phil S.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2011 9:20:21 AM PST
I flat out love Curly...but to hear all this Shemp hating is ridiculous. Do your Stooges history. Shemp invented the 3 stooges style of comedy. He and Curly had very different styles of comedy and both are hilarious. If you have to Stoogehate, save it for Curly Joe, who got on my last nerves. Shemp even died the way every comedian (and myself) wants to go, telling a joke to friends.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2011 8:26:03 AM PDT
Donny says:
Curly was the best,hands down, but Shemp wasn't as bad as people say, he was a great replacement for Curly, a few of my favorite shorts of him are crime on their hands, the ghost talks and brideless groom, i think he saved the stooges at that point, when Curly left, because who knows what would have happened, if he never took over,the stooges might have ended it.

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 6:20:44 PM PST
Eric Perlin says:
I like your review and I share your appreciation of Shemp's talent, but the phrase "brief cameo" is a redundancy, like "round circle" or "wet water". Have you ever heard of a "long cameo"? The next person to use the phrase "brief cameo" will be reported to the Department of Redundancy Department.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.8 out of 5 stars (132 customer reviews)

$19.99 $11.19