Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

3.0 out of 5 stars A Why To Book, Not a How To Book, March 8, 2011
This review is from: The Thank You Economy (Hardcover)
I am a big fan of Gary Vee. Crush It was an eye opening game changer, his vlogs are great, I pay attention to what he does. His contribution to the world in Crush It that "caring = competitive" advantage is both insightful and well demonstrated by Gary Vee practicing what he preaches.

I pre-ordered The Thank You Economy months ago, noticed it auto-download on my kindle last night, start it last night and finished it by noon this morning.

That being said, I was a little disappointed in The Thank You Economy - even though I agree with everything said in it. Perhaps I just had the wrong expectations and I'm not the intended audience.

It is a book focused on WHY companies big and small should be in Social Media. The premise is you, the reader, are a social media skeptic or the higher ups in your company are skeptics.

If this is your situation, it's an appropriate book. Gary Vee lays out his argument (which I agree with incidentally). There are lots of interesting case studies, his perspective is ALWAYS interesting, and the strength of the argument is probably a "B" level argument at best.

It's an argument driven by a few key ideas and lots of anecdotes. But the reason I give the argument a "B" is its not an air-tight argument. In my work life I deal exclusive with the higher ups alluded to in the book. I know how they think. And I think higher up folks would find the book interesting, a little thought provoking, but probably not enough to dramatically change minds.

I think he could of made a much more airtight argument even without resorting to a dry, numbers driven, academic argument.

As for me, I don't need to be convinced of using various forms of social media. I am already using it very successfully. I was looking for something new for me to DO. In other words, I was hoping The Thank You Economy would be more of an action-oriented book providing more recommendations as what to DO for someone who is already doing what was described in Crush It.

In many respects, the Thank You Economy book should have been published BEFORE Crush It. Most people want to know WHY they should do something, before they bother asking HOW to do it. Thank You Economy = Why, Crush It = How.

Depending on where you are at in terms of your social media enthusiasm (mine is pragmatically for social media in specific circumstances), one book will be MUCH more appropriate to you than the other.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 8, 2011 4:23:15 PM PST
Darn it :( I thought with the case studies and with the Old Spice work and some of the screen shots I went more how to but I see you don't agree and I apologize :( I am super sorry to let you down :(

-gv

Posted on Mar 8, 2011 5:48:09 PM PST
I just purchased quite a few copies for friends, colleagues and family. Based on your review, maybe this would make a wonderful gift for someone who needs some convincing or case studies to help them see the value of social media. Gary has a deal to write quite a few books in the coming years, so I look at Crush It and this one as building blocks to the overall book collection. I may be off on his intent and surely don't want to speak for him, but this is the vision I see that is starting to take shape. -J. Scot Heathman

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2011 6:10:09 PM PST
Scot most of the reviews that have been blogged is that this book is more in depth, has more #'s and %'s but I can see where Victor is coming from because this is a bigger thought, I really hope more people are with Godin, Brogan, Feld, ect.. but I respect Victor's thoughts and feel awful I let him down, I can tell you I put a lot more Data in this book and have 4 case studies including a B2B ect.. so its fun to learn how different people process!

Posted on Mar 13, 2011 10:41:22 AM PDT
T. Draper says:
I have to disagree with Victor on this one. I loved the case studies about the hamburger joint and the dental office. If those small businesses can pull it off, then anybody can.

Gary opened the door to those businesses for us so that we could see exactly HOW they utilized social media to grow their business. I'm not sure what he could have added to make this a more "how-to" type book.

Posted on Mar 14, 2011 4:11:01 PM PDT
I also disagree with Victor. I think while Crush It was more of a how-to-book based on Gary's experience, this book is better because it explores the underlying reasons why the world is changing and ultimately why Gary has been successful in this new world. Because everyone is so different how-to books rarely apply 100%. They are too prescriptive. By fully understanding the core ideas or the 'why' you can better apply these lessons to your own situation, and thus I think you get more out of the why approach. Gary took this book to a new level, a deeper level, and I think it's therefore going to have a much deeper impact.

Posted on Apr 4, 2011 5:54:20 AM PDT
Thank you for a balanced review. I agree that this is a great work for those that still yet are on the fence as to the benefit of using social media. Yet, I have a different perspective. I don't work with the "higher ups" in larger companies. My clients are the masses of small business owners and sole proprietors that are new to anything other than "face to face" and "belly to belly" ... this book is a must read for anyone that doesn't have a large marketing department or several young bucks at their disposal. If you have a small business and are trying to get a handle on what all of these changes in the marketplace you keep hearing about, are all about - get your hands on this book. Period. :-)

The higher ups usually just need to feel that it's worth the effort and expense to hire a under 35 yr old kid to do it for them anyway - what do they care about how it's done? ;-) Just sayin' ...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›