Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

2.0 out of 5 stars Quicken Users Don't Waste Your Money On This Upgrade, October 5, 2011
This review is from: Quicken Premier 2012 [OLD VERSION] (Software)
Summary: If you are new to Quicken, it is a very good program and worth using. However, Quicken 2012 has very few changes over 2011 and is an unnecessary upgrade.

I have been using Quicken for at least the past ten years. I have upgraded each year or two and by the 2010 upgrade I was becoming frustrated with the program because it was becoming slower and less user friendly. Then I read that Quicken had purchased "Mint", an online product, and had hired the founder of Mint to upgrade the Quicken product. I purchased Quicken 2011 and was extremely pleased with changes. The format was much easier to use and the program was beginning to be more flexible.

I have used Quicken 2011 extensively over the past year and throughout that time I was anxiously awaiting Quicken 2012. I figured that if 2011 was such a great improvement, that 2012 would be even better. I have been watching Amazon for the release date of 2012 and downloaded it the day it came out.

Well imagine my disappointment when I found that 2012 is just 2011 with a larger font option. Here is a link to the list of new features of 2012 over 2011 from the quicken website. [...] As you can see the improvements are minor. I am very disappointed as I expected much more.

Anyway I am a loyal Quicken user and will continue to be but if I knew what I know now I would not have wasted my money on the upgrade and would have stuck with 2011 for another year.

NOTE: I checked the other 7 glowing "reviews" that have have been written before me and I find them suspect. All seven were written on the same day and each "reviewer" has not submitted any other reviews to Amazon besides Quicken/Quickbooks products. I rely on Amazons reviews for my purchasing decisions (see my previous reviews) and to me these reviews look like more like social marketing than honest user opinions.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 53 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 13, 2011 8:40:08 AM PDT
Doug M says:
Thank you for your review. I appreciate the fact that you took the time to give an honest opinion of the upgrade and from what version you upgraded from.

Posted on Oct 13, 2011 12:08:00 PM PDT
CS says:
Hi! I'm currently using Quicken 2010. Would you recommend upgrading to 2012 from 2010? Thanks for the help!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2011 12:10:43 PM PDT
2011 was a big improvement over 2010 in my opinion. 2012 is virtually the same as 2010. So if you have 2010 to me it would be worth going to 2012.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2011 12:16:13 PM PDT
You are so welcome. It really burns me for a software vendor to take advantage of their reputation to "burn" its user base with useless upgrades. I am hopeful that the founder of Mint will guide quicken into more of a browser based product with more flexible reporting. However I am afraid that they are going to a SAS (software as a service) product based in the cloud and if they do that they will lose at least one customer --- me.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2011 7:44:30 PM PDT
Thanks, M. Thompson. I was going to ask the same question regarding upgrading from Quicken 2009. Appreciate your review.

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 7:01:45 AM PDT
I agree with those commenting on the usefulness of the Premier 2011 version. I only purchased it because I received a gift card. But I did do my homework and was glad for the QP2011 purchase. Great appreciation for the fine review of 2012. It is because of your review (and some others) that I'll wait for future versions. Also the "discounted" price in a recent Intuit upgrade-to-2012 e-mail is actually HIGHER than what is offered on Amazon. Go figure.

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 7:14:15 AM PDT
Sapere Aude says:
These reviews are awful for someone who is trying to decide to buy the product for the first time. It's great to let people know that the upgrade isn't worth it, but do you think the product itself is only 2 stars? It makes it hard to try to buy something when longtime users are rating it 2 stars...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2011 12:37:33 PM PDT
ibc says:
Like M. Thompson says, 2011 was a great improvement over 2010. If you choose to upgrade, I'd wait a month or two--Quicken is always very buggy on initial release. You should see 4-5 patches coming out over the next month or so.

Posted on Oct 16, 2011 8:13:52 AM PDT
C. Booth says:
I have one thing to ask....my Quicken 2011 is so buggy right now (not downloading from my bank, downloading into the wrong accounts, downloading old information that already had been downloaded, etc.) that Quicken has not or refuses to fix for me. I have to wonder if updating to 2012 would benefit me or whether I should start looking for another software company. Any help or suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2011 7:04:10 PM PDT
John A. Ward says:
No...stay with 2010...2012 is buggy and so very disappointing...
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›