Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Disturbed $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation STEM Toys & Games

5.0 out of 5 stars On the Move, September 17, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Playstation Move Motion Controller (Video Game)
The Motion Controller and the PS Eye are the minimum needed to bring 'Move' to a any PS3 console. No exceptions. If you already have a PS Eye then the controller alone is the only purchase necessary. On the other hand, to fully enjoy certain games, you may want TWO Move Controllers.

It's hard not to be impressed by the Move. While I can't see how the Move's Motion Controller can become PS3's 'main' controller, I believe that it's going to find lots of good uses and hopefully in hard-core games and in the RPG games that I'm usually playing.

SETUP

Press the PS button. If the controller is charged... you're done.

Of course, to do anything useful, you WILL need a PS Eye camera and maybe a game :). You CAN use the controller to navigate the PS3 XMB menus but it may take some getting used to - I am still reaching for the DualShock.

MOVE'S MOTION CONTROLLER

The Wikipedia has a very thorough review of the technology inside the controller - impressive. It's probably worth going there to get an idea of what's under the hood.

From a user's point of view, the Move could be viewed as approximately the right side of the DualShock 3 where the motion tracking function is the R3 analog stick, R1 is the MOVE button and the R2 becomes the Move's T(rigger). You also get the 4 Square/Circle/X/Triangle, in a square (not 'diamond') formation, the PS button as well as the START and SELECT. So far, the most used buttons during gameplay were the MOVE and the T(rigger).

In addition, you get a wrist strap. At the opposite end of the microphone or thick wand-shaped Move there's a USB Mini-B port for charging and another port that seems to be proprietary - must investigate.

The controller is quite substantial as far as both size and weight - I like that and liked its being shaped in a way that makes it easy to grab and hold. Very much like a microphone or a very thick magic wand; NOT a remote control.

Based on my experience so far, Move's ability to track your motions far surpasses anything that I'm aware of in the gaming universe. Every single movement, up/down, left/right, toward/away and wrist rotation are accurately captured and almost instantly reflected on the screen and so is acceleration that would usually translates as 'force' in games such as sword fights or ping pong. In addition, there is haptic (tactile/rumble) feedback, a little too weak in the games I played so far, making the gaming experience that much more realistic.

I am not writing a lot about the Eye camera because... it's just there and it's not the subject of this review. For as long as it can see you, it simply does its part so that you may enjoy your game.

PLAYING

I've tried so far everything in the Champions game and one puzzle game demo downloaded from the PSN. Our little girl is playing the Eye Pet demo and my boys are playing mostly the sword fight and the archery games in Sports Champions. Considering that Sports Champions is an early game, my expectations were not that high but, surprisingly, Ping Pong did meet my expectations. I've been playing real Ping Pong ever since I was 11 or 12 so I probably know what I'm talking about and the Move version of Ping Pong is GOOD. As for the others... sword fight, kids like it. Archery was okay, Bocce was so-so, Frisbee Golf not too bad. Three of the six Champions events benefit significantly from using TWO Motion controllers.

For the games I've played so far, this is NOT a couch experience. On the Sports events I was sweating after a few minutes and I had to get off the couch and stand up even when playing the puzzle because of its depth element. This is probably a good thing.

I am sorry for having to do this but, absent 'hard core' games, the only comparison I can make is between Move and Wii and... to put it VERY mildly, the Wii shows its age when placed next to the Move. Except for it lacking a built-in speaker, the Move controller is ahead of Wii in every single respect: precision, responsiveness, ergonomics. The fact that the Eye camera can and in certain games DOES track your body not just the controller helps too. Of course, the Wii has the games but the Move games should be coming fast so I'm not worried.

MY RATING

It's 5 stars for the technical merit, ease of setup and for the overall experience. Hopefully, the games will be coming quickly and in good quality.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 20, 2010 7:44:00 AM PDT
Rike255 says:
Great review, I was going to make my own but you hit the nail on the head. By the way the proprietary port is an EXT post that will be used for Move accessories (ie: gun attachment, etc). This is mostly unconfirmed for now though.

Posted on Oct 10, 2010 4:51:15 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Dec 19, 2010 5:19:35 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2010 8:52:00 AM PDT
Cthulhu says:
Did you notice the 'verified purchase' tag? It usually means that I paid for the item I reviewed. Or are you implying that maybe Amazon too is part of this conspiracy?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2010 9:20:06 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Dec 19, 2010 5:19:55 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2010 7:33:07 PM PDT
Cthulhu says:
Def Voorhees,

If you REALLY believe that I work for Sony or that I was paid by Sony or Amazon or anyone else to write this review and I didn't disclose it I suggest that you contact 'the authorities' immediately. It would be illegal for me not to disclose such a thing. This is serious stuff.

By the way, it turns out that 'defamation' is illegal too. Check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defamation

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2010 8:01:50 PM PDT
Nadar says:
Don't worry about him, maybe he works for Nitendo ;) btw, great review, I have been using the controller to play some racquet sport games, tennis is my fav so far, but there are other good games to enjoy.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2010 4:05:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2010 4:05:34 AM PST
Rick V says:
Great review and I was just waiting for some Nintendo fanboy to jump on you for what you said about the wii. Anyways, I have both consoles and this is a better experience than what we have on the wii. Just need more titles of quality. Let's hope there won't be a lot of the waggle shovel ware that wii got stuck with.

Posted on Jan 20, 2011 11:02:22 AM PST
Is it work in the darkroom? Because I always play game in my bedroom. Also my wife and son sleep with me...:(

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2011 11:19:18 AM PST
Nadar says:
I have not tried it but it should in theory coz the control bulb lits up and the camera should not find it difficult to track it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2011 12:08:18 PM PST
I played Sports Champions last night in a room only lit by the television. It worked fine.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›