5.0 out of 5 stars If you like NBCs Revolution, you will love this book!!!, December 1, 2012
This review is from: Going Home (Kindle Edition)
If you are a fan of survival tales, the new NBC show Revolution, you will love AA's book. If your a fan of One Second After, Lights Out, or the Patroit, you need to buy this book. Going Home sets a new "high bar" for this genre.

For those of us who have followed this story a chapter at a time on another website, we are excited to finally see this in Kindle and soon to be in paperback and hardcover.

This is a story of a man who against all odds, makes a epic journey to get home to his wife and kids. This story has it all: struggle of the common man in uncommon situations. Start with a CME(coronal mass ejection), a corrupt governmental agency and rouge members of the military doing their bidding and taking advantage of this event. A complete collapse of the electrical grid, fried electronic devices turning the clock back on us to the 1800's. But there is hope :members of the military and the common man who believe in the Constution of the United States and are duty bound to uphold and defend it against those trying to create a "new world order".

Although this is a work of fiction, the events that happen in AA's book can happen. We are approaching the solar maximum where solar flares will increase until 2014 and then decline on this 11 year cycle. Do a Google search for The "Carrington Effect or Event". A massive solar flare can cause our electrical grid to collapse around the world. Power distribution stations will be fried along with transformers at those stations and on power poles.

Or toss a Iranian or (enter your own rouge nation here) nuke high in our atmosphere and create EMP event and it will have the same effect. Want to know what effect an EMP would have on us, Google "2008 Congressional EMP Report"

It would take years to restore our outdated electrical grid. As of this writing, people on the east coast are still without power after hurricane Sandy a month after the event. Imagine a nation wide or worse hemisphere wide Carrington Event or an EMP. Chaos, riots, no food or medicine and gangs all at your doorstep. Sounds fun dosent it? NOT!

Like I said Going Home is work of fiction, but there are many things that could happen to trigger these same outcomes for us all. Its worth a read, to see how, at least in AA's mind these events play out.

Are you ready for something like Going Home to happen to you?

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 27, 2012 1:50:11 PM PST
WOTNWABBIT says:
Excellent review! It has caused me to buy this book. One very small thing that made reading your review difficult for me is the mis-spelling of the word "rogue". I would have thought it merely a typo had it not recurred. Sorry to be nitpicking, but errors like that cause me to lose my train of thought when I read them. Hope you will take this in the friendly spirit it is given.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 7:09:20 PM PST
AD says:
Martin

AA had paid good money to the publisher who did a very poor job of "editing" this book. AA actually wrote a lot of it on his Droid phine while traveling for work.

It was published a few pages at a time on another forum. He is most pfmthe way through book II on that same forum.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2013 2:13:15 PM PST
AD says:
Martin

Thanks for the review on my review. I use an iPad for my internet work and Apples spellcheck leaves much to be desired.

I "think" i have corrected them now.

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 6:07:30 PM PST
Really well done... I might have left "NBC's Revolution" off the list but the next two books are easily in my top five reads of this genre.
I pretty much like all the post-apocalyptic books from full out nuclear war, pandemic flu's to zombies munching on the living.
But EMP bursts from either high altitude nukes or solar flares are to me the most likely apocalyptic scenario.
Enough.. Enjoyed the review.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2013 2:31:17 PM PDT
J.C.H. says:
Michael
What is your top five?
Always interested in new reads.

Alas Babylon by Pat Frank from the late 50's is good, especially if you are like me and can remember that tense time.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2013 12:46:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 5, 2013 1:02:32 PM PDT
If you've read "Alas Babylon" then I probably don't need to list many of the classics. Except for Swan Song (Definitely a Classic), I'm just going to list some of the books that I downloaded from Kindle
Swan Song Need to look up the author.
A New World By John O'Brien. This has somewhere near five complete books and interesting enough for a couple more.
On the Road By Angela White. It's obvious that the author is in need of an editor and someone who can correct her references to the military but is still worth reading. Five books total?
The Remaining By DJ Molles So far there are three books in the series and I expect a couple more. Little bit of a slow start but I've enjoyed all so far.
Blindness (Harvest Book) by Jose Saramago
Wool Omnibus Edition (Wool 1 - 5) By Hugh Howey Starts slow but well worth it if you give it enough time.
I'm sure you've read Lucifer's Hammer, The Stand and World War Z

If you have a few recommendations, they would be much appreciated.

Posted on Jul 7, 2013 7:01:28 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 8, 2013 12:05:30 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2013 6:45:01 PM PDT
I saw this again and wondered if you read any that I listed or had some books you recommend..

Posted on Aug 22, 2013 8:07:40 PM PDT
This book sucked. The author seemed like he read a Cheaper than Dirt catelog and named every brand of gear he could find. Dialogue was stilted and uncomfortable and I got sick of the I'm not a hero ma'am just a man of honor crape. No stars.

Posted on Oct 22, 2013 10:24:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Feb 9, 2014 5:40:26 PM PST
Jerry says:
NBC's "Revolution"? Please don't make me barf. I caught part of one episode of that series, and I felt nauseous (I was glued to the edge of my seat for every single episode of CBS' "Jericho", however).

I enjoyed this book, too. However, if you are going to refer to Jim Rawles' "Patriots", please do not disrespect his book by referring to it as "the patroit". Patriots: A Novel of Survival in the Coming Collapse is the bible of the modern survivalist movement, and is more instructional than anything else, making it hard to compare it to other works of survivalist fiction. Although I am not a religious man, I am honored to collaborate with Jim Rawles as one of his handful of subject-matter experts.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (968 customer reviews)

Out of stock