3.0 out of 5 stars Spoilers + puzzled by the trilogy + MORE spoilers **Divergent spoiler connection**, May 6, 2014
This review is from: The One (The selection Book 3) (Kindle Edition)
**If you don't want any spoilers of ANY kind of Divergent or The One series, Do NOT read this review, in my review I make a comparison that has a huge Divergent spoiler, so you've been warned.**

This isn't going to be the best of reviews if you are one of those "OMGOSH I LOVED THIS BOOK/TRILOGY/ETC" kinda person, I'll probably disappoint you. I'm going to be try to be short and sweet and to the point. It's just a viewpoint. It's just my thoughts. If you don't agree, great. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

I had problems with this "love story", due to the characters so very fickle in their "love". I had trouble with "America" as in, I don't know, seeming egotistical? Yep, I recognized the whole Ester/Cinderella story in this, but would this story have worked if she would have stayed with Aspen? Think "Twilight" with Edward/Jacob/Bella. Think the Hunger Games with Peeta/Gale. Those characters had character. I would have respected Aspen a bit more if he'd stay true to the end in his love for America, as did Jacob, or even as did Gale. They never wavered in their devotion to their heroines and these guys did. It was so frustrating to see America play them. Yeah, I get she was "torn", but I'm just calling it as I see it. She pretty much played them, didn't have to have any real accountability, until the end when her sister called her on it, but it took till book 3 for someone to call her out.

And the whole "Bachelor" thing. I hate that reality show, but only because it's hard to take anyone seriously who says, "I love you will you marry me" after kissing loads of other girls. And all the whole kissing/making out sessions? Yeah, I get Twilight did the whole scene too, but at least they actually said, "I LOVE YOU!" Maxon and America? Maybe we do, maybe we don't, kiss, kiss. That was frustrating. And if those rebels wouldn't have killed people at that last chapter, especially the psycho-path King, America would be headed out with no one and Maxon would be marrying someone else. So thank the rebels for your love story happy ending, and stopping Maxon from his own temper tantrum. And I really like happy endings, I do! Just not so, I don't know, thrown around like that.

Aspen. I really loved this character. He gave up America because he couldn't provide her with the best. He did it out of love for her. Said he would fight for her. Wait for her. And to have him in the end, "I'm with Lucy"? (and I read the short stories!) Wow. Fickle. And Maxon? "I'm mad at you so I'll go with another girl right now" kinda guy. No, wait. More like, "I'm so mad at you, I'm going to marry someone else" kinda guy.

I gave this book 3 stars because while I liked it, I didn't love it. But at least she didn't kill off America. **cough**Divergent**cough** And the only character that actually showed redemption was Celeste? I actually ended up liking her as well!!!! But that whole caste thing? It was hard to get that they were fighting for a better life when the only life really depicted in the trilogy was the palace. It was alot of background mind noise IMHO. I wanted to cheer for them, I wanted to be a fan. I wanted to be thrilled with the ending. In the end, the only thing that made me feel better was writing this review. In the end I'm so glad so many like the series. I would hate for anyone to feel like I do right now. =)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 7, 2014 6:40:47 AM PDT
I haven't read all of Divergent yet. If you spoiled it for me, I'm gonna be really upset. Don't SPOIL OTHER BOOKS!

Posted on May 7, 2014 9:06:42 AM PDT
T. Dugan says:
**Spoilers**

I would encourage you to read about India's caste system. You probably don't understand the implications of the word "caste" because you are not familiar with it and what it means for families when they are in a certain caste. The rebel cause makes a lot of sense when you understand castes, especially modern day castes.

As to Maxon and America's love story, the palace is their life and the king is manipulating at every turn. Think back to the short story and how hurtful the king is in just those few paragraphs. Now think that he has been telling Maxon that America doesn't really love him and after you hear something for so long, you start to believe it. Here is a young prince trying to understand a girl who is not giving him her heart. This story was more about America and how she became strong in herself and her decisions than it ever was about their love story. As America realized her strength, she was able to strengthen Maxon and the decisions he needed to make. The setup for the rebels playing their part was perfect. Yes, I admit we all know Maxon and America were going to be together at the end but we needed something as a catalyst to change the game and get rid of the king. (I was hoping the queen would live so we could see her freedom.)

Aspen grew on me as the books went on but he never loved America. America was all he could obtain. They grew up together and were best friends. It was only natural that they would decide they should marry. There aren't a lot of choices when the caste system is in place. Once Aspen realized his life was his own it is natural that he would be with Lucy. Think about how many times he and Lucy probably talked while they were working or off work but stuck in the palace. Aspen saw the way America was with Maxon and knew she was never that way with him. They love each other but it is a different type of love.

I appreciate your review and hope you continue to write reviews. I also hope I have shed some light on some of the things you mentioned.

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2014 5:52:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 8, 2014 5:55:40 AM PDT
A. Kolesar says:
Amanda, I have a feeling you're going to be upset with that series whether someone spoils it or not. haha! Frankly, I wish I would've just read the summary of the 3rd book on Wikipedia and not wasted my time or money... or better yet, read the review with the most comments for it on here. She said every thing I was thinking after reading it.

Posted on May 8, 2014 9:15:21 AM PDT
You nailed my feelings in your review! While I liked this book the best out of the three, I still couldn't get over the double standards of the prince kissing all those girls, then getting mad when he finds out about America and Aspen's old relationship. Please! This whole series was about cheaters and fooling around with others - not a great example for the YA reader. At least I didn't end up angry when finishing this one - more like relieved it was finally over. Those covers are sure gorgeous, though!

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2014 9:56:49 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 8, 2014 10:30:44 AM PDT
guadalupe says:
Thanks for the feedback. I completely understand the caste, though completely imperfectly, because, quite honestly, it reminded me of America. I, mean the USA. As a latina, I made connections how hispanics are stereotyped all of the time. So there was a real life connection, maybe not a connection like India, which I thank you for, but a real world connection that was personal. When I was younger, my family was on food stamps. I understand what it meant being hungry yet happy. Like I said, while it may be imperfect, the caste did make sense. However, it was still background mind noise. And quite honestly, I thought Maxon could do this thing on his own. He really didn't need America to do it. But that's just my opinion. As far as Aspen, I get what you are saying. Maybe I expected too much from author. There wasn't any doubt with Jacob in Twilight or with Gale. And I still think Maxon and Aspen were fickle. But again, it's just my opinion. Thanks for the feedback. I completely appreciate you taking time to explain things to me! Much appreciated!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2014 9:57:37 AM PDT
guadalupe says:
I was thinking the same thing.....I should have waited for the wiki spoiler!!!!! =)

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2014 10:03:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 8, 2014 10:20:29 AM PDT
guadalupe says:
Amanda, Sorry if you think I gave anything away, I'm upset with Divergent series on something completely different, but this made me feel almost exactly like the Divergent series which is why I titled my post "spoilers + puzzled... + spoilers". I changed the title to include "spoilers of ANY kind". People who have read Divergent would understand, since it's been out for awhile. But with Divergent, at least the vast majority of Amazon reviews agrees with me, unlike this one. ;) But the world would be sad place if we all just agreed with each other. So mea culpa!

Posted on May 18, 2014 10:36:17 PM PDT
K. Hales says:
I would be really upset reading this review, had I not already read divergent. Whether it is a good series in your opinion or not, basically giving away the ending in one short sentence without warning is pretty crappy. I realize you say spoiler alert, but it's obvious you mean THIS series, you don't warn anyone about spoiling Divergent. I would add that to your title or just say "like another trilogy I read" or something similar. I hate when people spoil other books/movies/shows, without warning.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2014 10:40:53 PM PDT
K. Hales says:
Oh so basically you are telling us that, if we have not read EVERY book in existence... don't read your review because it might have spoilers? What about TV and movies? Are we okay there? Might want to clarify that further, since it's fairly safe to assume you mean any and all spoilers of any kind in this series, since you are reviewing "The One" It's not like you gave away something minor. If it were me, I would just change the one word, why ruin a series for someone if you don't have to? Just seems mean.

Posted on Jul 20, 2014 11:15:39 PM PDT
Jessica says:
I had NO idea that the "spoiler connection" relating to Divergent was the BIGGEST spoiler from the Divergent series you could ever imagine...(I also don't know how I've been able to avoid knowing this after reading the first two books, watching the film, and reading tons of reviews). So, uhh...thanks for that.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (2,131 customer reviews)
 (1,626)