1,281 of 1,440 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Functional and formidable, albeit pricey., November 14, 2011
This review is from: Marware C.E.O. Hybrid for Kindle Fire (Black) (Accessory)
It feels nice to hold, and looks sorta slick. The little grippers feel solid, I'm hoping the Fire will fill out the bit of give my 3g has in the case though. Like was said, it's not exactly nice leather, in fact I'm not entirely convinced it's real leather, but the case does have a fairly dense padding feel to it like it would absorb a good amount in a drop. Also, all the corners are covered with the hardest padding, which is important. As for the folding display feature, it's less... what's the word... mechanical, I guess, than I would hope. It's more zen and the art of bending the cover. It's rather loosely held in that position relying on the friction between the bottom of the kindle and the padding. The case is fairly rigid, even in the crease so hopefully it'll loosen up in time, but this is a far-cry from the nifty iPad magnetic cover display. This is also far from cheap, it's actually fairly expensive, then again, all of your options are. I look at it this way, is it worth $15 more dollars than the overpriced and mostly featureless pouch, yeah, probably. I mean you need to protect your investment right? It's a judgement call, with a cover, without a cover, plain jane pouch or this folding leather cover, I feel like they all leave you in about the same point of value. I mean $45 would go a long way towards replacing the fire even if it means a reduced lifetime.

Update (after receiving the fire):
1. The Kindle Fire fits very snugly, much better than my 3G, so that makes me happy. But you don't need to wrench on it by any means to get it in the case, the screen isn't in any danger, at least not in mine.
2. The hand strap is convenient and comfortable
3. At first I thought it was weird that the strap favored left handed people, then I realized that if you spin the kindle 180 degrees, it does either, power to the ambidextrous.
4. The extra weight of the fire over my 3G also proves the stand system to be better than I originally suspected. I shook the table a bit to see if the fire would slide or fall while upright, but it held in place more than well enough for any bumps or shakes a table might get under normal conditions.
5. Don't get me wrong, it's still an expensive case, but I at least feel somewhat better about it. In the absence of other alternatives, it's probably better than nothing. Ultimately, it feels protected.
6. I'd upgrade it to 3.5 STARS but I still hesitate to give it four because of the price.

Update Again (I dropped it)
The day came, I finally dropped my kindle, and of course it had to be on pavement. It landed on a corner but thankfully sustained no damage and the kindle didn't even shut off from the jarring, so I'm plenty happy with that. Also, I've been appreciating the finer details of the case more and more as of late. I think it's time about time I went four stars.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 29, 2011 10:10:49 AM PST
D. Johnson says:
does the kindle fire have a built in fold away light, or does it even need one?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 1:13:09 PM PST
Andrew Butts says:
There's no light in the cover, but the Kindle fire has an LCD back-lit screen so there's no need for a light. You could read in complete darkness, unlike the e-ink kindles.

Posted on Nov 30, 2011 1:40:10 PM PST
J. Sheffield says:
Looking at the pictures on line, I can not tell if I buy this cover whether you can hold it like a book, in your hands. Does it open the whole way if not standing it?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2011 2:23:51 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2011 2:25:32 PM PST
Andrew Butts says:
Yes, and there's a strap for your hand to allow it to be easily held with one hand. I would suggest looking at the pictures again, there are pictures of this on the main product page under product description.

Posted on Dec 22, 2011 9:05:10 AM PST
I got this one and I love it. For $11 it seems very close to the Marware case.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2011 2:55:49 PM PST
Andrew Butts says:
From the pictures, I notice first the cover design is different and not leather. Second, the case closes with a clasp-like mechanism rather than an elastic band, which means there's nothing to hold it open as well. Third, there's no hand strap to help stabilize it while open. Other than that, yes, it seems very similar. Shipping is surprisingly ~$3, so all in all it's a third the price, though I can't speak to the quality of the case, or the effectiveness of the design differences.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2011 8:53:51 AM PST
Robin says:
The Fire is back lit and very easy to read in the dark.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2012 9:50:53 AM PST
No external light needed. Very bright, colerful HD screen. I love mine.!

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 11:40:22 PM PST
B. Clark says:
Really want to pull the trigger on one of these, but at almost 1/4 cost of the Fire itself I just can't do it.

Posted on Jan 21, 2012 8:20:12 PM PST
Price shouldn't be a factor in the review. The price is transparent - we can all see it and judge for ourselves how we feel about the price. Review the product based on how it performed its advertised functions, not based on how much you paid for it.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (3,454 customer reviews)
 (2,271)