Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Summer Twins All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Amazon Gift Card Offer blacklist blacklist blacklist  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Kids Halloween

1.0 out of 5 stars Quality severely diminished, July 15, 2010
This review is from: crocs Kids' Classic Clog (Shoes)
I've purchased many pairs of Crocs over the years but the quality has severely diminished over the past few years. I'm not sure exactly what has changed in the manufacturing but a pair of crocs used to last my daughter a couple of years. At the end of May, the back strap broke on a pair so I bought a new pair through Amazon. She wore them TWICE when one of the straps broke off the back. We decided to do "surgery" and took a back strap off an old pair to replace the broken one. I wish we had simply returned them at the time but she liked them so we didn't. Now, the other strap has broken off the back. Please note that the strap off of the older pair is still intact and going strong. You can actually FEEL the difference in thickness between the old and new. It's really sad because my daughter and most of her friends love them but I will not spend $32 on a pair of shoes that breaks immediately. And of course, I can't return to Amazon. Hopefully, I'm not the only one that's complained (I also complained directly to Crocs) and the quality will improve again but for now, we've purchased our last pair of crocs. And our last pair of shoes from Amazon, PERIOD, due to the return policy.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 21, 2011 7:11:41 AM PDT
LizzieW says:
My husband and I totally agree with your observation in diminished quality. In fact, we purchased our very first crocs about 4 or 5 years ago and my husband absolutely loved his ( and still has them and wears them). So, I decided to buy him another pair for his birthday the following year and they were nothing like the originals. The original crocs had a true marshmallow feel and the material was very soft, pliable and spongy. But, they have steadily diminished in quality like most everything else we buy made in China. I don't even trust that the shoes are made of safe chemical compounds anymore. You're right, 30 something dollars is way too much to pay for cheap plastic. They aren't even worth 3 dollars in my opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2011 7:09:09 AM PDT
Deege says:
Hooray that someone is getting the word out. The first pair of CROCS I purchased for our granddaughter was made in Mexico, and they had the soft, spongy, pliable characteristics that you describe above. The pliability is of utmost importance to me because of foot and leg muscle development. I watched our granddaughter 'walk' in a pair of stiff-soled shoes, and I was shocked. She didn't walk normally at all. She picked up her feet and plopped them down--not in a walking stride at all. Therefore, I have been on a quest since her birth to find only the softest-soled, most pliable shoes for her to wear, particularly after researching online about the importance of buying shoes that support a 'barefoot' experience as recommended by the Pediatric Podiatrists. The second pair of crocs I bought was made in another country. I was shocked when I opened the package. They were plastic and stiff as a board! I immediately sent them back (here, the return policy is important).I contacted CROCS directly and complained about the diminished quality, noting that I had discovered that CROCS are made in several countries and that the quality of material is not the same depending on the location of manufacture. I received an e-mail which I kept in which it was suggested that the best solution would be to visit a CROCS store and examine the shoes prior to purchase. No mention about passing along my complaint about the diminished material. So, unless CROCS owns up to bringing back the original CROCS quality, we will no longer be customers, either.

Posted on Mar 9, 2012 5:56:31 AM PST
I wonder if these 'Crocs' are knock offs- there are a lot of fakes floating around Amazon.

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 4:22:45 PM PDT
Blake Cooper says:
We just had the strap rivet break on my son's Crocs after only an hour or so of use. This is the second such experience we've had with Crocs for him. Big question is, does the manufacturer care? We'll be looking for another brand with higher quality standards, and certainly will not mail order this again.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 8:10:23 PM PDT
helena says:
Just wanted to let you know that when my son's strap broke on the back of his Crocs, I called the Crocs customer service line and they sent me out a set of straps for free. I thought that was great service.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2012 6:02:17 AM PDT
LizzieW says:
But what a waste of business resources for customer service to spend time rectifying poor manufacturing practices. These cheap and defective products end up costing everyone much more money in the long run and hence, drive up the cost of goods and cost of living for everyone. These corps make all their money upfront, paying only pennies on the dollar for these goods. Think about the actual cost of having to replace the strap in terms of fuel, time, hours paid to workers, pollution, etc... My husband and I are on a consumer strike and refuse to buy anything made in China or any other sweat shop factory. We only buy fair trade now and we also began purchasing antiques and other older quality products that were made years ago. I know you can't always avoid the sweatshop in computers and other electronics but at least we try and only buy what's absolutely necessary.

Posted on Feb 4, 2013 10:09:13 PM PST
D. Anderson says:
I was just reviewing some of my older reviews and found this one so here is an update. Native brand shoes are what we found as our crocs replacement. They are awesome. And this reminds me that I need to go give them a 5 star review.

Posted on Jun 20, 2013 7:37:15 AM PDT
Savvy Mom says:
We had the straps fall off of crocs that we bought at the outlet store, so it's not because they are knock-offs. This is just a sign of the times. Manufacturers are cutting back on quality but charging the same (or more). This is going on everywhere you look. Grocery store items are getting smaller, but price is the same. Clothes are made of thinner fabric. Bad economy!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2013 8:10:38 AM PDT
LizzieW says:
Bad economy is due to greed. Americans need to make more of an effort to stop ' funding' unethical business and banking practices. I found a few ways to avoid contributing to this greedy capitalism by purchasing used items as often as I can. I only buy new items when I've exhausted other avenues. Even if I must buy something made in China, it's at least being ' recycled' by my purchase. I am also in the process of becoming a cash only home. It's challenging but I feel so much more valuable in this world that continually devalues us, our money and our hard work.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2014 2:21:41 PM PDT
AJ says:
I wondered the same thing when the two pair I recently purchased from Amazon were stiff and plastic-feeling. (They were also smaller than they should have been, and one pair were two different sizes!) I returned them and purchased directly from Crocs. Sadly, the shoes I bought from Crocs were just as cheap feeling, not at all the quality I used to get from Crocs. :(
‹ Previous 1 Next ›