5.0 out of 5 stars OMG This Printer Is Incredible, June 10, 2009
This review is from: Canon PIXMA Pro9000 Mark II Inkjet Photo Printer (3295B002) (Electronics)
I Just got this printer from Adorama today (via UPS) and this thing is incredible. Im a professional photographer and this printer prints lab qaulity prints super fast. I made sure I used Photoshop to print some test pictures )4x6 on Canon Photo Plus Semi Gloss and it matched exactly what was on my screen. As a matter of fact the prints look better than whats on my screen...I had to do a double take. I no longer will be using the lab to order prints for my clients (only wedding books), Im printing them all myself. The speed is also amazing. The only thing I dont like thus far is the noise of the print head when the printer starts up and before prints start printing. When the picture prints its pretty quiet though. I will update my review after about a week after i dump a few hundred more prints for my clients.

***** Update #1 ***** : Ok Now I've had this printer a few weeks and I've printed a few hundred pictures in a variety of sizes (4x6, 5x7 , 8.5x11 and 13x19) and this is a must have printer for those wanting to print their own professional lab (and better than lab quality) photos. This bad boy is very fast and the print quality is just absolutely superb (I use Canon Photo Paper Plus Glossy , Ilford Galerie Smooth Pearl, Ilford Galerie Smooth Gloss Paper and Ilfor Printasia 13x19 paper and Canon Photo Paper Plus Glossy II 13x19). I've shown my photographs to a variety of clients, potential clients, freinds and family and they are blown away by the quality of the prints. When I tell them I printed them myself they are like "What?, No way" and then they asume I must have spent a whole lot of money on the printer...which is wrong ([...] after rebate from amazon/adorama).

Pros :

Fast - This printer spits out a vibrant and full of color 13x19 glossy print in under 3 minutes 30 seconds.

[...]

Quiet - I can print at all hours of the night and not worry about waking anyone up. When Im in the next room with the door open the printer prints so quiet I cant even hear it and have to come check on the print job to make sure it didnt crash since I cant hear any noise in the next room..lol

Quality - Prints professional quality prints on a variety of papers in many different sizes.

Paper - You ARE NOT limited to Canon papers as you can use a bunch of other manufacturers papers. My Favorite thus far is Ilford (cheap from amazon and is basically identical to expensive Canon paper).

Ink Usuage - Good on ink, Not really an ink guzzler. I printed dozens and dozens of 4x6's and even a bunch of 8x11's and 13x19s and the ink kept going and going, until I finaly started running low (after many prints had been printed). Also I now use The Continuous Ink System , so ink is now dirt cheap. Costs something link [...] per cartridge (estimated - all I know is I pay [...] for and 8 pack of about 880 ml's of ink which is over 80 cartridges (no joke, visit fleabay and youll see tons of them)...Save money and Dont buy Canon Ink Carts and you will save at least 50% right off the bat).

Cons :

B&W printing - Prints mediocre black and white prints. This is no secret and I knew this before I bought it. I dont care about black and white prints just color so its all good for me.

Size - This is a big mamma-jamma. You will have to dedicate a space to this thing because of its width.

CD Printing - The US version of this printer does not print to CD's at all and there are no hacks that enable the CD printing feature (Like with the Pixma Pro 9000). If you need CD printing, just print to photo quality CD labels.

Overal: This is a fantastic buy. If you need professional quality color prints done in house you will surely love this printer. Canon outdid itself with this model... The price is steadily falling too. Especially after the [...] rebate.

***** Update #2 ******

DO NOT USE OR BUY THE CONTINUOUS INK SYSTEM FROM SUPERjetUSA With THIS PRINTER:

I bought the continuous ink system from superjetUSA off ebay and it worked fine for a short while and then it leaked ink all inside my printer. All 800+ml's. It was a huge mess and it caused me to use many hours of my valuable time and waste dozens and dozens and dozens of pieces of plain paper/photo paper to clean out the leaking mess. Then SuperjetUSA refused to give me my money back and kept telling me to do this and that and email them pictures of the mess. It took me weeks to clean it up and there is a still an ink mess in my printer. ONLY USE INK CARTRIDGES (stay away from the Continuous ink system) FROM A GOOD SOURCE. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

I've had this printer for months and it continues to be an awesome printer. No complaints. I made almost the entire printer purchase price of the printer back within only a few weeks of having the printer..thats how good the prints are.. THE CANON PIXMA 9000 MKII is an awesome investment.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 11 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 58 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 24, 2009 12:33:14 PM PDT
So, follow-up review since you've had it a couple weeks now?

Posted on Jul 1, 2009 4:13:54 AM PDT
Benhao Wang says:
What brand of Continuous Ink System did you use?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2009 9:28:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 2, 2009 9:28:15 PM PDT
im using the superjet usa Continuous Ink System.. just do a search on fleabay and and youll see it .

Posted on Jul 14, 2009 9:55:52 PM PDT
Taz says:
Not having CD/DVD printing is a significant disadvantage. I wonder why they can't license this in the US like Epson and HP do?

Continuous ink printing may be cheap, but your colors won't be accurate. I submit prints in photography competition regularly and I wouldn't trust using a non-calibrated ink system.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2009 11:02:47 PM PDT
Most of this is due to patient by Epson concerning the tray/feed design. Outside the US the patient doesn't apply within certain countries as far as what I've been able to find. I bought an Epson R300 just for that sole purpose cd/dvd printing a few years back. I can't wait to get this printer and print some of my artwork with the special papers that are offered.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2009 8:06:54 PM PDT
So get a Spyder 3 Print (or Studio) and profile the printer with the different inks and papers. I've been doing this for years.

Posted on Aug 11, 2009 7:19:58 AM PDT
J. Blilie says:
Yo Bubba:

" ***** Update #1 ***** : Ok Now I've had this printer a few weeks and I've printed a few hundred pictures in a variety of sizes (4x6, 5x7 , 8.5x11 and 13x19) and this is a must have printer for those wanting to print their own professional lab (and better than lab quality) photos. This bad boy is very fast and the print quality is just absolutely superb "

I totally agree. The print quality is better than a lab. I am THRILLED with this printer. This is a MUST HAVE.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2010 5:43:36 PM PST
Ellen Tory says:
very helpful review, thanks

Posted on Jun 25, 2010 7:10:04 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 25, 2010 7:10:39 AM PDT
B. Healy says:
Can you tell me under what condition the vertical feed try is required? Is that the regular feed tray (for standard 8x11 paper) or can the tray in the front be used for regular paper?

I'm asking because I want to put this in a book case where the back and top space will be limited and need to know whether those sides need to be free for every print or only the huge ones.

I intend to use this as my everyday printer...

Thank you!

Posted on Sep 20, 2010 1:56:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 20, 2010 2:27:18 PM PDT
QueenOPearls says:
Delightful, comprehensive and did I mention delightful review? :) "Size - This is a big mamma-jamma." ::: giggling ::: I'm sure it is "just as fine as it can be", just as you have described.
I have the HP K8600 (big beast as well) which dying at the 1.5 year mark and replaced a well worn Canon printer. Thank you for the great review.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (348 customer reviews)

$499.99 $396.99