4.0 out of 5 stars My exploration for the ultimate underpant, January 1, 2013
This review is from: Under Armour Men's Original 9-Inch Boxerjock Boxer Briefs (Misc.)
Me:

Gender: Male
Height: 6 feet
Build: Lean and muscular from lifting weights regularly
Weight: 180 lbs
Waist: 34" at the belly button
Pant height preference: I prefer to wear my clothes with the waistband around my hips, which measure ...
Hip line: 35"
Thigh curcumference: 22"
Thigh length (if I'm kneeling on the ground, the distance from my groin to the ground): 16"

The underpants trials:

Tightey-whiteys: Cotton doesn't feel good to me and holds wetness. The shape of the cut I did not care for, it did not feel comfortable.

Boxers: Don't care for the bunching in material, lack of sweat wicking due to the material not being against my skin, and the amount that my circumcised (non-consensual) head would drag against the material all day causing irritation.

Non-athletic boxer-briefs: I often find the material to be unpleasant and the thighs to ride up annoyingly.

Bikini briefs: When running, my shaft ventures slightly outside of the brief, rubbing on the edge of the material - very unpleasant. If I go with a smaller size to prevent this, it is very tight fitting. Sweat that is outside of the narrow area of coverage gets transmitted to my pants and does not wick away like the athletic materials, which wick better than bare skin in open air, it seems

Athletic boxer-briefs: Now, I'm getting close to my objective. The materials used here are great at sweat wicking and the fit is better. Let's get into the details.

Attempt #1: Men's The Original 9" Boxerjock Boxer Briefs Bottoms by Under Armour. The cheap boxer briefs from the mall were 6" inseam and rode up immediately. These, at 9", lasted a bit longer before riding, but still rode up my thighs uncomfortably. The material in the crotch is a bit different than the rest of the pant. The material is only slightly uncomfortable from my head rubbing against it. The main discomfort, though slight, is from the head rubbing against the seam in the center of the crotch. The crotch section protrudes from the rest of the pant, which might be a welcome relief for the most well-endowed among us, but I am statistically average there and I feel the fitment to be a little loose for athletic purposes, though fine for leisurely activities.

Attempt #2: Men's UA HeatGear® Long Compression Short Bottoms by Under Armour. These have slightly longer thighs, but still ride up my thighs. The crotch section on these is identical to the rest of the pant, which I like. This also makes for a tighter fit to keep things in place when moving. The material here causes no discomfort.

Attempt #3: Nike 269605 Pro-Core Men's Long Compression Shorts 9". I've struck gold. These underpants are fantastic. The material is even better than the Under Armour pants I tried - the best I've ever felt for comfort and sweat wicking. Zero irritation from my head both because of the nice material and because of the snug fit in the crotch. The length is wonderful - what I had been searching for all along. It goes all the way down to the top of my kneecaps. Even when squatting full depth, the thighs only ride up maybe 2 inches at the most, then they stay in place. I was so happy with my pair of these pants, I bought 12 more pairs. I have since retired all other underwear. More expensive than your average underwear, but this is something that you wear all day every day, it's worth the expense. Also, most suppliers will work with you on a bulk discount if you buy this many pairs. In a few months, I may order 12 more, as I can see me wearing these for decades and the last time I found a good piece of clothing that I loved, the manufacturer stopped production the very next year. These did have tags on the inside back that needed cutting off. BE CAREFUL when cutting these. On my first pair, I was a bit overzealous with the scissors and nicked some of the material just behind the tag. This created a hole that sadly will likely make for the demise of this pair as they are worn more, but they still wear well for the time being.

Waistband height: Because I like wearing the waistband around my hips and all of these athletic pants are designed to wear around the waist, all 3 pants detailed here involved rolling the waistband over once. In that respect, they all fit with uniform height of the waistband unfolded and they all fold over to the same height.

Conclusion: Nike Pro Combat Core > Under Armour > Everything Else

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 7, 2013 6:08:23 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 7, 2013 6:08:38 AM PDT
JJ says:
TMI! ...especially all your personal information!

Posted on Dec 19, 2013 12:40:42 PM PST
DjDNz says:
I disagree with J.J. Atwell, this was a great review! I am similar build and have struggled to find boxer briefs that pass the test. Been through many of these issues myself, and stumbled upon a pair of the underarmors and I have some similar complaints to the reviewer but I am mostly impressed with them - they are the best pair of underwear I have owned thus far. I am now definitely going to give the Nike's a shot.

Thanks for the great review!

Posted on May 31, 2015 9:55:32 AM PDT
Kenobi says:
i'ev not tried the nike ones but my first pair where from RYU.com called the "Tanto Compression Short" and they are the best ones ive tried to date. ive had some of the same issues you've mentioned in other shorts but not with the RYU. They are a true compression short so they are quite snug but very comfortable without riding or bunching.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›