Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

5.0 out of 5 stars Square Trade warranties - the real deal, November 18, 2011
This review is from: SquareTrade 2-Year MP3 Accident Protection Plan ($50-75) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
With great hesitation, I purchased a warranty from SquareTrade when I bought my daughter a used iPod on eBay. I say hesitation because most of us have been through warranty abuses through our home owner warranties or warranty problems through credit card purchases, and so forth. Nonetheless, I bought the warranty and 13 months later when the device failed to sync, I pulled out the SquareTrade paperwork and contacted them. The claims process was very fast and easy. They reviewed my claim and within a day had emailed me to let me know they had refunded my purchase price and the money had already been redeposited in my PayPal account. All of my interactions with SquareTrade were fast, efficient, and highly professional. Even if they had not warrantied the item, I would have had an overall positive impression. Their customer service is awesome and I would not hesitate to recommend that you consider them when purchasing products (particularly used electronics) on line.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 28, 2011 11:14:57 AM PST
Just a quick question for you about the "full replacement cost of the item". In your case did that mean it was the value of the item 13 months later (after depreciation) or the cost at time of purchase. I just wonder because of the wording used on Amazon and their website; it seems a little specific and would allow for a loop hole.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2011 5:23:21 PM PST
bobby-o says:
The iPod cost $40 when I bought it used on eBay. They warrantied it for the full price ($40). The cost of these warranties is a little pricey but I really loved how fast they responded and their willingness to reimburse me. However, it was truly a hardware failure.....nothing questionable. I have to wonder how they would deal with other problems. Nonetheless, they did right by me. Hope that helps.

Posted on Mar 3, 2012 8:23:10 AM PST
Taxito4 says:
So you didn't purchase the item from Amazon and you could still purchase the warranty? And the warranty was on a USED item?! I'm surprised because they say the item has to be "new and in the box." They also talk about purchasing directly from Amazon. So, in essence, I could purchase an Ipod from, let's say, Sams Club, and then purchase the Square Trade Warranty here and they would cover it? Thanks for your help.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2012 9:46:57 AM PST
TaiPan says:
Taxito, I have 7 SquareTrade Warranties (everything from iPods to a 50" Samsung HDTV) and have never had a problem with them. I have bought my products from Amazon, Apple and Sam's Club, etc.

They normally don't care where you buy the item... And they don't care whether the item is used or not. You state all these things at the time of purchase. All they ask is you either send the a copy of the receipt in an email or fax it to them. I would suggest going to their website and looking around. Their prices are often cheaper there because you are buying direct. You can also call them and request a DISCOUNT COUPON and they will give you a code over the phone for 30% OFF!

On MP3 players they also offer 2 year Accident and Drop protection. It's a little pricey-- but if you've been known to drop things-- it's worth it. The discount coupon takes the sting off the extra cost of the accident protection.

You can literally drop your MP3 player on the street and they will either fix it for you or give you your FULL purchase price back in 5 DAYS. The ONLY catch, you have to be careful for the first 30 days. On day 31, you are completely covered if you drop the device on the street or the toilet bowl. (They send you a prepaid label to send it in if they decide to attempt to fix it or need to evaluate the problem.)

It's an amazing company. They don't send refurbished products as replacements and they don't amortize the refund over time. I just bought a 32 GB iPod Touch on Amazon. I got 2 year full replacement/repair or full refund coverage for $41. (With coupon.) I could buy Applecare (Apple's excellent coverage) for around $44 but that does NOT cover drops and accidents.

I definitely buy Applecare for my Apple COMPUTERS... But for a portable device, I consider SquareTrade the best way to go.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2014 9:15:03 AM PDT
Bob says:
One of the requirements when registering is to upload a copy of the receipt. Can you please tell me what they are referring to. I bought this mp3 player from Amazon online, however I never received any receipt and do not know what they are actually requesting.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›