1.0 out of 5 stars Defective cable insulation coating, November 13, 2010
This review is from: Amazon Kindle Replacement USB Cable, White (Works with Kindle Fire, Touch, Keyboard, DX, and Kindle) (Accessory)
What's going on, Amazon? I had the same problem as all of the other reviewers above: the coating on my USB cable started to crumble and peel off after a year and a half. I have only kept it at room temperature in a drawer when not in use. Now I have to pay $10 + shipping for a new cable that will probably have the same defect??!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 9 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 97 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 25, 2010 8:05:17 PM PST
J. Cumming says:
I just had the same problem. The shielding is now exposed for most of the length of the cable. Does Amazon support the quality of its products?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2010 6:05:21 AM PST
I had the same problem. Called Kindle support. The second call resulted in me getting the replacement cable free (the cost was credited back on the order), the 1 day S&H was charged to me, but credited back in a separate transaction. So, no cost to me. Be sure to call Kindle support about the problem.

Posted on Dec 10, 2010 9:42:41 PM PST
JC-Austin says:
Count me in as well with this problem. Check out Monoprice.com... you can get replacement cables for ~$1 + another dollar shipping. Can't go wrong at that price.

Posted on Dec 22, 2010 10:00:57 AM PST
KRH says:
My cord has done the same thing. I can't imagine how the quality control hasn't caught this obvious defect in the plastic coating on that cord.

Posted on Jan 6, 2011 11:01:57 AM PST
Lora Haddon says:
I am also having this problem. I have a zippered case that I keep my Kindle in and it has a pocket on the inside where I keep all the cables, etc. I never take the cable out unless I am charging it. I can't understand why the coating is peeling off this way.

Posted on Jan 12, 2011 3:20:27 PM PST
Bill C. says:
Same problem, plastic coating disintegrated next to Micro-USB plug when bent slightly. The cable was for a 2nd Gen Kindle and was also about 1.5 years old. The plastic coating on this cable is clearly defective!

Posted on Jan 20, 2011 7:20:26 PM PST
I also had this problem, and was at first convinced that some strange critter was gnawing at my cable. After reading comments, it's clear it's the part that's defective. Although amazon is offering me a replacement at (ultimately) no cost (as well they should!) the customer service rep gave no indication that this was a common problem, despite my inquiries along those lines. I expect more from amazon!

Posted on Feb 6, 2011 3:18:39 PM PST
R. Gruber says:
I am having same problem. Will it electrocute me???

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2011 8:15:58 PM PST
mattdb says:
USB only carries a 5 volt current, so its exceedingly unlikely that you'd be electrocuted by the cable, though its a lot more likely that broken insulation could cause interference or communication problems.

My Kindle cable also frayed, though mine lasted closer to 2 years. Still obviously disappointing. Awaiting customer service's response-- requesting a replacement cable.

Posted on May 14, 2011 10:49:44 AM PDT
Count me in as another Kindle owner whose charging cable coating has deteriorated and cracked to the point that much of the metal cable is visible.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next ›