Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Iron Maiden $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Now Deal of the Day

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly the switch I was looking for and let me tell you why!, October 30, 2012
This review is from: TRENDnet 8-Port Unmanaged Gigabit GREENnet Desktop Metal Housing Switch, TEG-S80g (Personal Computers)
I've been looking for a quality 8-port Unmanaged Gigabit switch for a while now. I was debating between this one (TRENDnet TEG-S80G), the D-Link DGS-1008G, the NETGEAR GS108NA, and the Linksys SE2008. I needed something reliable, had the features I wanted, and was fast. This TRENDnet satisfied all my criteria and for a cheap ~$25 bucks, I was willing to give it a shot.

1. Look & Feel - The first thing you'll notice when you pick up this switch is how solid the construction feels. This isn't some cheap plastic, I am not sure if it is aluminum, but its not a cheap metal either. It feels similar to the NETGEAR GS108NA. Solid body, hard metal construction. Vents on the side of the unit help keep this switch cool, though it really doesn't need it. But unlike NETGEAR switches, the Ethernet Port plugs are on the backside along with the unit's power plug, this is a major plus. One thing I hated about NETGEAR switches was how their plugs were on the front, but the power plug was on the back.

The link lights of the switch are fairly non-intrusive. They aren't super blinding bright, but they are clearly visible. If you plan on putting this switch in a place where you might sleep, don't worry, this little switch won't be keeping you up all night. Link lights are accurate as well. Top row of lights mean there is an active link, the bottom row is the speed at which the port is connected. Orange for 10/100Mbit and Green for 1000Mbit/1Gigabit.

I wasn't a fan of the green design that came with the unit, but it's starting to grow on me. ;)

2. Heat & Power Consumption - I really hate how some routers and switches get hot. This unit is cool to the touch and has been on for days now. If you look through the vent holes you can clearly see that they've mounted a heat-sink on the PCB. The power adapter is ALSO cool to the touch. Even if I tax the switch and start transferring gigabytes of data over the network this thing never heats up to hot or even moderate warm. At worst, it is below luke-warm.

3. Features - This was by far the most important thing to me. I have a quirky set-up in my home where I have 3-4 computers, media PCs and a NAS set up around the house. Every single one of them is setup for Wake on Lan (WOL). I was reading around the internet and I heard reports that all these newer switches that touted GREEN power did NOT work with Wake on LAN. I will confirm right now that THIS TRENDnet TEG-S80G 8-Port Unmanaged Gigabit Switch WORKS PERFECTLY WITH WAKE ON LAN. If you buy this switch specifically and it doesn't work for Wake on LAN, you are doing something wrong. It is not the fault of the switch. Computers that are completely shut off, still maintain an active link light with the switch. Yes, this switch still has GREEN power features, so that is a major plus as well.

4. Speed - I personally have not noticed any speed differences between this and my D-LINK DIR-655 router acting as a switch (DHCP off). I ran some speed tests over the switch with 'LAN Speed Test (Lite)' and these are my results.

Test Hardware:
ASUS RT-N56U (w/ custom firmware)
TRENDnet TEG-S80G
CAT 5e Cable - Total Length about 25 meters between computers.

* Note: I don't have jumbo frames or anything like that set up. I just plug and go. I am writing to/reading from a 7200rpm/SATAII drive.

[WRITE]

Packet Length: 3000MB
Time to Complete: 58.451
Mbps: 410.597
MB/s: 51.32

When using TeraCopy, files transfer at a steady 85-95MB/s. When I use Windows Copy, speeds start out peak at ~190MB/s but quickly dip down to 90-110MB/s.

I use this switch to stream 1080p movies from the NAS and there have never been any issues with stuttering or lag.

Overall, this is a fantastic switch. I've only owned it for about a week, so only time will tell how reliable it is. If something happens to it or it breaks down, I'll be coming back here to edit my review, but if you don't hear from me, it means this thing is still working like a champ.

[Add comment]