3.0 out of 5 stars Handy GoPro mount but the tether came off!, June 30, 2013
This review is from: GoPole Reach - 14-40" Extension Pole for GoPro Cameras GPR-9 (Accessory)
I bought the GoPole Reach for a snorkeling trip to Cozumel. It worked really well and then the tether came off and I see no way to securely reattach it. Thankfully I didn't drop it because the water I was in was far too deep for recovery by snorkel. It helped me get some really nice video, but once the tether came off I no longer wanted to use it unless I was in really shallow water. Of all things that NEED to be right on this pole, the tether is probably the most critical. Very unsettling when you have an expensive camera mounted on the end.

One other thing is that when the camera is tilted 90° it's not a true 90° and it points upward a few degrees, causing many shots to be too high. It's kind of hard to compensate for this under water and several videos were shot too high. It seems like such an easy fix if GoPole would correct this in manufacturing. I'm not sure how they can not see this.

Because of the broken tether and not a true 90° tilt I'm giving it 3 stars. This shouldn't discourage you from buying one though. It's nice piece of equipment and I'm hoping GoPro will have a solution to the detached tether. I've emailed their support and am awaiting a reply.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 7, 2013 11:36:24 AM PDT
Triplock,
Sorry to hear about your tether coming off. Please contact GoPole support (support@gopole.com), and they will be able to help you out right away. As for the 90° tilt, the camera can be mounted 2 ways on the end mount, one of which will give you more range of motion if you are pointing the camera towards you so that it does not point up as much.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2013 1:33:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 9, 2013 12:54:17 PM PDT
Triplock says:
I did contact GoPole support and they sent me a replacement out immediately. I can't ask for better service than that.

I'm aware that it can be mounted 2 ways. It still is not 90°. I mainly used it with the camera facing away from me and on the underside of the pole. Got some great video which you can see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO143rqcVvE

[UPDATE] GoPole support sent me a replacement pole immediately. Great support...thank you!

Posted on Jan 24, 2014 7:27:37 AM PST
I used this extensively on a recent vacation in Mexico to take hundreds of photos and dozens of videos, though none underwater. The 90 degree problem that you describe was nonexistent for me. I had no trouble positioning the camera to take lots of great shots, and without even having to use it upside down.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2014 2:08:58 AM PST
Triplock says:
That's good to hear, and I assume they've modified the design because both of the poles I have will not angle the camera at a true 90°, which means you have to compensate for it. Mine are several degrees (5-10° maybe?) off.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2014 4:46:52 AM PST
The problem you describe does exist on the chest harness, and to a more severe degree. My solution is to use two screws. I don't attach the camera directly to the mount on the chest harness but instead to a separate plastic mount, which in turn I attach to the chest harness. That lets me get a 90 degree angle. Not sure if that would work for the GoPole but you might want to try it.

Posted on Apr 8, 2014 2:47:29 PM PDT
J Black says:
I too have used this while snorkeling in Hawaii. This is a solid unit, and I'm very happy with it. However....one issue, and a work around: When fully extended underwater, the pole fills completely with water. When you go to collapse it, you have the equivalent of a hydraulic shock absorber. While trying to quickly collapse it down to its minimum length underwater, it blew the rubber handle off the end of the pole. I was able to retrieve it in about 20 ft of water.....any deeper, and it would have been gone. Either collapse it very slowly....or...drill a small hole in the base of the thickest pole near the handle so the water has an escape port. Other than that caveat....this is a great unit and is saltwater resistant, allowing you to get closer to fish for some great videos..
‹ Previous 1 Next ›