5.0 out of 5 stars Tested on Playstation 1, 2, and 3 games - it works GREAT on all of them!, April 20, 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: PlayStation 3 Dualshock 3 Wireless Controller (Black) (Video Game)
Well folks, now that the dust has settled from the Sony vs. Immersion lawsuit, Playstation 3 owners are finally able to feel the vibe again!

I purchased this controller today and I knew the only way to properly road-test it was on the game that made the Dualshock famous, Metal Gear Solid. After booting up the game, I walked down the hallway and got spotted by a guard. As he shouted, "WHO'S THAT?" the controller jumped in my hand - and I knew this was a smart purchase. As the guards shot at me, I felt the feedback of the bullets, just as I had 10 years ago on my Sony Playstation.

I picked out another old school Playstation game, Tenchu: Stealth Assassins. From Ayame's blades to Rikimaru's sword, each sword swipe and jump had excellent feedback.

Okay, so my Playstation games worked out. But what about my Playstation 2 library?

I popped in God of War, knowing I had to feel the swing of the Blades of Chaos. The controller vibrations felt a little lighter here, but the vibrations still occurred at the appropriate times.

Then I chose Incredible Hulk Ultimate Destruction. Who better to test a vibration controller than the Sultan of Smash? All the power jumps and smashes had the vibrations intact, but they still felt a little on the light side.

All right, so far I was two for two with my Playstation and Playstation 2 test subjects. But what about my Playstation 3 games? Could I possibly hit a trifecta?

I put in Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and I decided to jump right into a heated firefight. The controller gave me feedback while shooting weapons and getting hit by enemy fire, but I knew my purchase was justified when Drake was near death: I FELT THE DUALSHOCK 3 PULSING IN SYNCH WITH DRAKE'S HEARTBEAT. It's one thing to hear that noise and know he's near death, it's quite another to feel the pulse in my own hands.

Okay, so the feedback on the older games was there, but a little lighter than I remember. The reason? Well, when I decided to go wireless on my Playstation 2 system, I bought a Logitec Dualshock controller. It turns out, that controller takes two "AA" batteries, and the vibration motors inside the controller handles are slightly larger than the ones in the Dualshock 3. That's where I felt the difference.

The Dualshock 3 vibrations may be slightly less than the Logitec controller, but it doesn't require the purchase of batteries.
The Dualshock 3 may be slightly heavier than the SixAxis, but it doesn't take up any extra space at all.

Sure, the price is about $15 more than the SixAxis, but it's a worthy upgrade for the Playstation 3 gamer who kicks it old school as well as new school. The only other drawback is the lack of an additional USB cable - but we can use the one that came with the system itself.

So what's the final verdict?

Order it, plug it in, charge it up, and get ready for the inevitable downloads from the Playstation Store to make the older PS3 games Dualshock 3 compatible.

I wouldn't recommend a feedback peripheral without providing my own feedback...

Enjoy!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 16, 2010 8:47:20 AM PST
Judgedread says:
hey , what moddle ps3 you got ??? i'm about to buy 320 gb but they said it cant play ps2 games , but how is it u can play god of war on it ??? cuz i got god of war 1 & 2 and would like on my ps3 !!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2010 1:12:15 PM PST
Hello Randy -

At the time I wrote this review, I was using an early version of the 60 GB Playstation 3 which had backwards compatibility for PS1 and PS2 games.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2010 4:25:33 PM PST
Judgedread says:
ok thanks , u answered my question , i guess i got to keep my ps2 then !!!

Posted on Jan 24, 2011 11:11:09 PM PST

Posted on Feb 5, 2011 8:04:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 5, 2011 8:05:58 PM PST

Posted on Jul 2, 2011 3:54:54 PM PDT
mjc0961 says:

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2011 9:41:24 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2011 9:41:47 AM PST
NameSource says:
This is the first time in the history of rumble features for controllers that I've ever heard of peoples hands going numb due to the occasional vibration that is implemented in over 90% of available games between 1996 and 2011.

Interesting....

Posted on Nov 24, 2011 10:18:06 PM PST
Quick question: Is the USB wire charger comes also with the controller or is it a separate buy?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2011 4:18:58 PM PST
ginger says:
If you read the review that you are commenting on, it says that it is not included.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2012 7:47:02 AM PDT
TheKushFiend says:
if u bought it with the ps3 you'll have one however if you buy just a controller no, there is no usb cable that comes with
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (4,574 customer reviews)
 (3,204)