5.0 out of 5 stars Enter into third dimensional viewing via modern technology, August 3, 2011
This review is from: VIZIO XVT3D650SV 65-Inch Theater 3D Edge Lit Razor LED LCD HDTV with VIZIO Internet Apps, Black (Electronics)
So my old lady wanted a 65 inch TV from Costco. You can find flaws in anything if you look long and hard enough. For example, a quick look at my mug in the mirror each morning reveals a handsome half century old man. Upon closer examination this half century old man has all sorts of weird looking blemishes on his face. Sometimes when I'm out for a walk, just wandering aimlessly around downtown, I can see my reflection in windows as I truck on by. Sometimes the glass isn't perfectly clean or flat and my reflection takes on all sorts of weird distorted visuals. It's a trip and it always puts a smile on my face to see something so unusual staring back at me from the glass. It's particularly enjoyable for me to wander around without my shirt on while just outside restaurants that have lots of windows so the people eating can catch a glimpse of my God given beauty. Imagine that in 3D! Oh yeah, it is, man! It's like they're watching some kind of far out 3D movie starring me, as it is projected just outside the window while they eat!

Now when it came time to bring the 65 inch set on home I didn't have my van handy so I had to ask a neighbor to drive me to Costco in his SUV. I'm not sure what type of vehicle it is exactly except that it is painted black and has an unusual interior smell that reminds me of rotting bananas. However, I wasn't wearing a shirt this day either and we had a good time jamming to some Neil Young during the ride over (with a little bit of Uncle Ted thrown in). Now the inside of his vehicle isn't completely flat in the back, man. One of his rear bench seats folds down but is somehow stuck inside there. We used the strength and force of the Elutu Nueve to try and remove that sucker but it just wouldn't budge. I offered to go into my special strength technique trance but there was some concern over the fact that I might remove the entire floor of his SUV unintentionally while performing this particular strength technique maneuver. So we had to call upon our brains and come up with a mathematically sound solution. One involving physics, numbers and positioning of shapes. I decided upon the empty 5 gallon water bottle shape and approach. I laid a half dozen of those suckers out in the empty area of his SUV floor. Thereby raising the height of the floor up to the same level as that of the folded seating area. Hence, no torque would be applied to the 65 inch TV once we loaded it flatly into the vehicle, resting it nicely upon the bottles.

Ok, cool. We arrived at Costco just as my old lady was making the purchase. I opted to wait outside as I had no intention of putting on a shirt just to enter the store. (I don't know, some kind of policy against being shirtless near food or something). So out she comes with an employee wheeling the new set on one of those large carts. We popped open the rear hatch and he was amazed at our ingenuity. We easily rolled the 65 inch TV into the back, but weren't able to close the hatch. Cool, I'd just hang onto the box during the ride home. Having it resting on 5 gallon water bottles made for an interesting dynamic. Every time my neighbor would accelerate, the mass of the set would greatly increase as it was pulled toward the opened rear hatch of the vehicle!

My neighbor is always the trickster! On the way to Costco he never exceeded 40 mph, practically coming to near stops as he slowly made corners and traversed speed bumps. But on the way home he decided to perform an exercise in physics. One that dealt with speed and inertia increasing mass exponentially as he gunned the engine at wild speeds! I was hanging onto that set tooth and nail, man! Laughing hysterically the whole time as we rounded corners at breakneck speeds. He was purposefully weaving back and forth in an attempt to eject the set along with me out the back of the vehicle! And having the set resting on round water bottles only added to the excitement of the ride! The bottles in fact acted like greased ballbearings! Imagine hanging onto a 131 pound 3D TV resting atop a half dozen plastic water bottles as your neighbor does 0-60 mph in 7 seconds flat, over and over again all the while you're only able to insert fingertips into those little hand hold holes they provide in the box itself! It was scary but fun and we were laughing uncontrollably as we pulled into our driveway with my nerves rattled but the set still intact. What a show that must have been for the drivers around us! Seeing the look of panic and amusement on my face as I clutched and clawed at the ever shifting box with only my fingertips to rely upon!

So carrying the set inside was no problem and we were easily able to hoist it up onto the stand in my living room. My neighbor departed and I proceeded to hook everything up. Being a very hot day I decided to strip down even further into the sheddy nude as I began to work. So there I am behind the set on this hot summer day, naked, sweating profusely when I hear a voice at my living room window. "Hello? Hello? Anyone home?" I peak out from behind the set only to see a group of Jehovah's Witnesses peering into my abode through the open window. "Sir do you have time to talk about the Bible?" Sure I said. But your Bible ain't the same as my Bible, just read John chapter 1 vs 1 to see what I mean. (They knew instantly that I wasn't going to fall for their false doctrine). I then announced with a loud clear voice "I AM COMPLETELY NUDE AND I AM COMING OUT FROM BEHIND MY TELEVISION". As soon as they heard that they split and I was able to finish up with all the connections. Now I have Direct TV and it was a snap to set things up, just follow along with the onscreen prompts. I also have WiFi and that was a cinch as well hooking that up with my set. Cool, time to try it out. No bright or dark pixels, the picture itself looks bright and sharp. I'd say even better than my immediate surroundings in the real world. Hey I could see a wart on some newscaster's forehead, man! I was swimming with sharks in the 3 Dimensional mode... It was never intended to be anything but a replacement set for the Toshiba 61 incher that I fell head first through about a month ago. I was able to explore the inner workings of DLP projection television during that encounter. Now this Vizio 65 inch 3D TV is great. I watched the 3D channels and I was blown away by it. Raindrops kept falling on my head, I was in a rainforest and raindrops were falling out of my ceiling, due to the 3D effects on the TV. I found that to be amazing. And the aforementioned sharks were poking their heads out of my set and into my living room right before me. It was awesome. Not unlike the time I did some skin diving off the shores of La Jolla. However that time I saw shopping carts, automobile parts and a long eel looking thing swimming around down there. Ok, the internet connectivity feature is exceptionally outstanding. I was able to watch a movie off the internet on my new TV and it was brilliant. The remote is very cool. It slides open to reveal a miniature keyboard. And speaking of remotes, it was very easy to set up my Direct TV remote to work along with the new set. Ok, so there's a keyboard situated inside the remote. Far out, because there are things on this new TV called widgets and they are icon things that you click on and this allows you to access different features. One feature is Twitter. So you can tweet in the nude, while watching TV in the 3rd Dimension from a source located somewhere in the cloud. I found the VuDu movie service to be most exceptional. You can buy a movie and store it in the VuDu vault online. There are other movie service widgets available too... Netflix among others. Also photo sharing widgets which allow you to store family pictures and movies somewhere out on the NET and access them easily from your TV. I have some unusual yet precious photos stored online somewhere of things I've encountered while out wandering around.

Ok, now you may have read about this screen being shiny or something like that? You know, it is reflective but not in a contemplative way. However, this didn't bother me and I have close to 30 windows in my house, several of which are facing the TV set. Sometimes I can see my own reflection in there! And that is far out man, especially if I'm watching Star Trek or something and suddenly there I am on an Alien Planet! But at nightfall that all ends and there are no reflections, unless you have shiny objects in your home and then the set itself will project light onto the shiny object which will then reflect back from your screen. I'm almost certain that this could somehow interfere with the Hadron Collider in Europe, potentially creating black holes or some other time displacement phenomena in my living room. This is why I always keep a backpack filled with snacks and chewing gum at the ready, should I be suddenly be pulled through a vortex and spit out into an alternate reality.

Vizio makes excellent TVs and this new 3D edition to their lineup is outstanding. I thank God for companies such as Vizio and the fact that I'm able to enjoy their product. Thanks God! (Spoken while pointing both index fingers toward the Heavens!).

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 4, 2011 3:00:31 PM PDT
J Byrd says:
I have to admit, after reading the first few sentences I was going to click 'no' to the 'is this rewiew helpful' poll, but after reading through to the end I had to change my opinion to 'yes' as it actually made me laugh harder than anything else today. Thanks for sharing your story. It may not have been technical, but it sure was amusing!...and I believe that if you didn't like the tv, you would have found a way to interject that into your epic.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2011 10:32:24 PM PDT
Hey man, thank you. I appreciate your good vibes.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2011 2:47:16 PM PDT
J Byrd says:
Your welcome....and BTW, I after much research I did order the TV, from amazon of course! Should have it in about a week. Fingers crossed...heart rate up......to be continued.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2011 5:20:25 PM PDT
Hope things work out for you. So far I have no complaints with mine.

Posted on Aug 19, 2011 12:02:05 PM PDT
Erik Saves says:
Best. Amazon. Review. Ever.

My Gods! I'm now sold on this TV.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2011 9:11:36 PM PDT
Thanks Erik! By the way, my Vizio 65 3D is still working great!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2011 4:51:11 PM PDT
J Byrd says:
Quick Technical question from 1 impressed owner to another...have you noticed anything odd regarding the edge lit backlighting? 3 of the 4 on my tv are equal to each other and are barely noticable during dark scenes. But the one on the bottom left of my tv shines like a bloody flashlight (again, ONLY noticable in dark scenes). It extends to almost the middle of the set and I find it quite distracting. Called Vizio and all they could say was "did you try power cycling your tv"...I couldn't believe my ears...... BTW, I did fine tune all the picture settings, and left the smart dimming feature ON, which is really needed to minimize the overall edge lit effect and maximize your blacks. But other than this issue I find the set kicks major butt. Strong colors, razor sharp and great 3d. Any insight or opinions would be appreciated as this 1 problem has me quite frustrated. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2011 5:20:41 PM PDT
It is quite a powerful backlight isn't it? I've noticed that too during the very dark scenes, my bottom left as well. I also have the smart dimming feature turned on. I set my overall brightness to 50 and to be completely honest with you, used sheer force of will to not let it bother me. I had read about this issue going in so I was prepared for it... (I imagined it being a lot worse, so when I saw what it looked like in person it didn't bother me too much) I keep a light on in the room behind where my TV is to soften the brightness a bit (Don't know if that would help you... but it's something I do) Maybe try having a light on behind the set itself... that shouldn't cause any reflection and it may help you to not notice the bright backlighting coming out of the bottom left corner... Of course, you and I could always stand on our heads when watching our TVs thereby making it a top right corner issue for awhile! I'll examine my tv a little more closely in the coming days and see if it is distracting or if I can find some type of workable solution. I have noticed it, and I believe just about everyone who has this set is seeing the same stuff. Try not to stress out over it if you can. BTW... the 3D is totally amazing! Isn't it.. WOW!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2011 8:02:48 PM PDT
J Byrd says:
Thanks for the info. All I can say is...WOW! I wish Vizio had been a little more honest with me. They acted like they didn't know what I talking about. But if yours shines bright from that one specific corner too...well that says quite a lot. I have to ask you though, when you say you have brightness set to 50 percent...do you mean the backlight brightness, or the actual 'brightness' control (which controls black level). I've set my backlight to 80 percent and can't go lower without seeing it affect the picture quality. BTW, speaking of the 3D, did you by any chance purchase the panasonic 3d bluray player? I ask because I did, and love the player, but can't get the players 2d to 3d upconvert to work. 3D works great and as it should, but the 2d to 3d won't pass a video signal through to the tv. I've tried everything and even have a case file with panasonic over it...sigh, the electronic world is so much fun to live in, isn't it?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2011 8:33:21 PM PDT
I hope this helps. I keep my set perpetually set to MOVIE in the Picture mode. I have the following:
Backlight: 55 (this is the standard movie mode setting and it stays there)
Bright: 50
Contrast: 50
Color: 50
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 8
For me, these settings look great. I looked specifically for the light shining from the lower left corner and yes, it is there on mine, but it doesn't affect my enjoyment. My big worry was always whether or not I would have dead pixels (I bought a TV 25 years ago and it had 4 dead pixels grouped closely together that bugged the hell outta me... so I know what you mean. I hope you can get this worked out)

No I haven't purchased a Bluray player yet... I'm sort of a video game enthusiast so I was thinking I might buy a Playstation 3 to handle my 3D & Bluray DVD duties. But not sure yet. Ha Ha, yes... the electronic world moves so much faster than the old stone age world. I now find that my telephone is smarter than me! I can hardly keep up with it all.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

Location: In the palm of God, man.