5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!!!, February 24, 2012
This review is from: Act of Valor (DVD)
I know some people will think this movie shouldn't have gotten 5 stars because of the acting. I did not go to this movie for the acting, I went to see our real life Navy Seals pay tribute to those who sacrificed everything for our country, and I was not disappointed.

I have read several books by Seals and about Seals over the years, starting way back when Dick Marcinko's first book came out, and I always watch any movie or tv special about them. I feel it takes a special kind of person to do this job and it fascinates me.

This movie has a fictional plot; however, the extractions and sacrifices in the movie all have actually happened in the field and they are re enacted in this movie in different locations. How awesome was it to sit their and watch the things I had imagined in my head in real life. I say real life, because these are things they actually do, real technology actually used, real split second decisions actually made. The action was fantastic and I will go see this movie again on the big screen to make sure I caught everything.

What was most profound to me was the way the team worked together and their commitment to each other. The fact that they can see something horrific happen to their best friend, and keep doing their job, put their emotion aside until their mission is done. I have read in countless books about men that keeping going while wounded not for themselves or to get back home, but so they don't let down the person next to them, the person they go into battle with. This movie shows that. It shows these men to be multi faceted. They are not war mongers. They are men with families and a deep sense of history and honor. This is what I feel should be taken away from the movie.

So if you are not sure what you are getting into with this movie, they were not shy about head shots and brain splatter, they did not focus on it, it was all done in a very matter of fact way, but it is there. There is a torture scene that made me squirm, not graphically shown, but you knew what was happening. Overall though if you have let your child play Grand Theft Auto or 1st person shooter games, this is not any more violent.

This movie is not a propaganda or recruiting film it is real life. Remember that when watching, don't look for something to be there for a political reason, as an american look at this film and be proud, appreciative and thankful that we have men like this willing to give everything so that we can be safe. I for one am, and I was really glad they listed the Seals that sacrificed everything for us at the end. This movie broke my heart while instilling a huge sense of pride for our servicemen and first responders. I hope everyone goes to see this movie on the big screen it is worth it. I don't know but I hope the producers/studio whomever is in charge makes a substantial donation to the Navy Seal Foundation as the men in this movie were not, nor did they want to be compensated.

Anyway I will be purchasing this movie as soon as it is available and encourage you to do the same, it is important to know what someone will sacrifice for you.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 1, 2012 2:32:27 PM PDT
Thanks for a great review. I saw the movie with my family yesterday, and all of us thought it was moving in a very human way. It had a lot more depth than I might have thought --- like you said, it captures the dedication to country and to each other that makes the SEALS and other special forces willing to defy death in carrying out their hazardous missions. The "acting" by real SEALS is probably more effective than professional actors could accomplish for a story of this type. After seeing this movie I am more grateful than ever that we have people like this to protect the country and keep the rest of us safe. I heard several people sobbing at the end when the sacrifices that these men and women make in the line of duty were made clear.

btw. Though rated "R" the movie is OK for young teens. Although inherently combat-intensive, the violence is integral to the story and not excessive or gratuitous.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2012 10:08:40 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 2, 2012 10:09:54 AM PDT
DinaC says:
I have seen it a few times now, and when my Godson turned at the end of the movie and asked do guys really do that (Rorke) I told him yeah and showed him Medal of Valor winners - Mike Monsoor got it for that action.
I think it was a real eye opener for him. I am glad a there is a film based in reality so people know this is not just hollywood stuff.
(I kept it a little vague so as not to give a spoiler for those who have not seen the movie)

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 7:45:37 AM PDT
Loved your review and I thought you would really love to know that they used live ammunition and ordnance. It was one of the stipulations the seals had to be in and help make the movie.

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 4:52:36 PM PDT
Five 28 says:
Thanks for the excellent review. It looks like there is finally a movie about the Navy SEALS that doesn't star some Hollywood types like Rob Lowe or Charlie Sheen. Knowing about these two clowns makes watching them play SEALS something to be laughed at.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 7:23:39 PM PDT
Randy says:
Thank You for your comments L.Cop. You are pretty much right on. Our son has been a SEAL for 15 years, has done 5 deployments and recently was awarded the Bronze Star for actions in Afghanistan. As proud as we are of him we are just as proud that he is also a dedicated and loving husband and father to 3 beautiful grandchildren of ours. Being able to accomplish the feats he has and at the same time and without missing a beat, slide right back into society has been simply amazing. The bravery and sacrifices of these SEAL families is just as amazing and is touched upon slightly in the movie. The acts of valor shown were in fact all factually based as you said. The jumping on the grenade scene was a reflection of the action taken by Mike Monsoor in Iraq a few years back with the same result. President Busch awarded him with his family in attendance The Congressional Medal of Honor which you could probably still find on youtube. Thanks again for being a level headed, well read and supportive society member of our brave military and their families.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012 10:17:54 AM PDT
DinaC says:
Your son is a Hero, and so are the parents and families that live and support the deployments. Thank you!

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 1:03:50 PM PDT
I have always respected what the SEALs do, but I believe that it is not only the SEALs who should get the credit for their sacrifice to the defense of our nation. Even the guys in the back who make the bullets and the bombs and the equipment they need to get the job done need credit. After all, where SEALs be if their guns jammed?
Speaking for all the state of Alaska, thank you for all of you who serve our glorious country, and it will be an honor to serve alongside you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2012 1:12:01 PM PDT
SeanPMurray says:
Randy thank your son for his service for me please and such a great review. This was a great movie. These men sacrifice everything for each other, and us so we can be free.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2012 8:02:17 PM PDT
C. Fields says:
Give your son mine and my family's thanks. His commitment to the SEALS and the United States is to be commended. For those of us who cannot show our appreciation for this country on the front lines we do what we must; work hard to keep our country strong and honor, with sincerity, those that can and do every day. "Act of Valor" isn't a Hollywood showpiece (though it should be) because it wasn't written to be one. It was designed to show what the men and women who defend us every day are up against and their sacrifices in the face of such. As a red-blooded, God fearing, upholder of the constitution, and, above all else, American give a soldier a simple thanks and a handshake. Why? Because even the simplest gesture can show a lot of admiration. God Bless America. And thank you, again.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2012 3:34:08 AM PDT
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (936 customer reviews)

$14.98 $9.46