5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Choice to Protect, June 14, 2011
This review is from: Kindle Leather Cover, Black, Updated Design (Fits Kindle Keyboard) (Accessory)
The Good:
Very solid but lightweight, with a strong spine and easy attachment to and removal from the Kindle. Smells like real leather. Offers very good protection.

The Bad:
Can't (shouldn't?) fold it back, so you have to hold it open much like a regular book. This makes it more bulky and unwieldy than the Kindle alone. I end up removing it for reading, making my train commute a little more awkward.

The Rant:
Why can't manufacturers make their products with the cover already built in? It's obvious that the Kindle screen can be damaged if left unprotected. I know it's a rhetorical question because if we didn't pay for the cover separately, the cost would be added to the price, but somehow, that seems more honest to me.

Last Rumination:
As someone with poor eyesight, I think I should have spent more for the lighted version. I avoided it because of higher cost and weight but the Kindle is hard to read (for me) in low light. But for those with better eyesight, this is a good product and should be sufficient.

Update (6/25/11):
Based on comments to my earlier review, I tried folding it back. I was a little nervous but am happy to report that it works fine this way. That alone merits an upgrade in stars and title. Also, even with my poor eyesight, I'm able to read the Kindle in most locations, so with hindsight (which is better than my eyesight), I'm not sorry I passed on the lighted cover.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 17, 2011 7:14:38 AM PDT
Gregory says:
It looks like, according to the pictures, it does fold back. It would be expected to match the lighted version in this regard as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2011 8:20:48 AM PDT
I saw that as well, but it feels too stiff to me to try it. If anyone has experience with it, please feel free to share.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2011 6:53:27 AM PDT
It is possible to fold the case back, I do it all the time and it makes it easier to use. The stiffness is expected when it's new, but otherwise it's fine for folding back.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2011 12:55:36 PM PDT
Thanks. I'll try it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2011 1:06:15 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 13, 2011 1:07:31 PM PDT]

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 5:20:23 AM PDT
Robin says:
Just fold it back! I always use mine that way. It is a little stiff at first, but just use the elastic cord to hold it in place.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2011 7:40:12 AM PDT
It esp. works well this way in the landscape position. I slip my index fingers in between, which creates a neat reading angle. Try it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2011 10:12:06 AM PDT
J Merritt says:
I fold mine back! I also read in the product discription that it was to be either folded back or just hold like a book.

Posted on Dec 6, 2011 10:06:28 PM PST
Kate says:
Just a note: We would not be able to select the specific cover we like, with the specific features we like, in the specific color we like if the cover came built in. I will purchase a cover that reflects my personality--just like I did when I purchased by laptop case. Thanks for the comment with respect to the lighted version, was helpful and appreciated insight into debate regarding if the cover should be folded back.

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 8:14:32 AM PST
i appreciate your update. i am debating the built-in light vs. using a clip on light which i have multiple already.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›