ARRAY(0xa71855f4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing product!, June 15, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Series 5 3G 12.1-Inch Chromebook (Arctic White) (Personal Computers)
I am very happy with my Samsung Chromebook. I had been looking for a computer that was fast, easy to use and did not keep breaking down so when Google announced the Chromebook Pilot program I signed up and got the CR-48. I really liked my CR-48 and therefore bought the Samsung Chromebook with 3G at the Gilt flash sale. I've had it now for a few days and am very happy with it.

The Samsung Chromebook is very light weight and portable; and I like its clean looks and solid finish. The keyboard is amazing and the trackpad is HUGE. It also feels a lot faster than the CR-48. The software on the CR-48 kept improving and getting better in the 6 months I had it and it feels like its gotten even better on the Samsung Series 5. There's now a file manager and a media player and it is super easy to upload photos to Picasa. And ofcourse it has Chrome which is fast.

The setup was ridiculously simple. As soon as I logged in all my apps, bookmarks and settings came in and it felt like I was back on my old computer. In all I think I went from closed box to fully ready in a couple of minutes. This was truly amazing. All the other benefits of the CR-48: the fast boot, quick resume and built in 3G are all there in this Chromebook.

I would recommend a Chromebook to anyone; but when people ask me if this is right for them this is what I say: it's great if you primarily use a laptop/ notebook for your personal stuff which, at least for me, is almost all web-based - gmail, facebook, amazon, youtube, google docs. For 'work' I use design software (Adobe CS5, Autocad, etc) that needs serious processing power and a large screen; and thus I use a high-end laptop, but that means it's heavy and cumbersome. The Chromebook is my personal computer and it works perfectly for that purpose - we leave it lying around the house and pick it up whenever we need to do something that is not work related. It also helps that its battery life is phenomenal. When my parents (NOT tech-savvy) were over they also used the CR-48 a lot and it worked great for them. I plan to get a new Chromebook for them too. So if you want a notebook for personal use that works fast, is reliable and inexpensive, get this one.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 15, 2011 11:07:15 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2011 11:17:38 AM PDT
MobilePC says:
The reviewer actually states that he purchased the product from Gilt. Gilt made the product available one week in advance of the Amazon ship date so his review is accurate.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2011 12:24:40 PM PDT
D. Bui says:
Gilt email was sent out June 1 for Chrome Notebook Pilot Program members and others to order (and receive) earlier than the market. But boy, they sell your information and spam you afterwards with marketing emails.

Posted on Jun 16, 2011 10:22:20 PM PDT
Besides running CS5 or other heavy programs, what might be some shortcomings?
Can you play avi video files from a thumb drive?
I'll be in China for a year; so will skype work on it? or am I limited to apps in the chrome webstore? (I'm aware of google voice and google talk, but I'll want people to call me from their phones).

Posted on Jun 17, 2011 9:50:22 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 17, 2011 9:50:56 AM PDT
Does Netflix work on this?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2011 9:56:47 AM PDT
Netflix support is expected soon (both Google and Netflix have confirmed that they are working on this right now)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2011 12:33:35 PM PDT
Spazturtle says:
Adobe are working on a web based version of the complete CS5 package. You can get web based alternative to most things, games are the thing that will need time to port.
Yes you can play .avi videos straight from the pen drive.
You can use a web based version of Skype at http://www.imo.im/ it uses the Skype API and SSL so it is secure.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2011 5:26:18 PM PDT
croc says:
You can get yourself a free google number so that people can call you right to your gmail chat. I use it all the time here in the US, not sure if google voice is available in China though.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2011 7:25:37 PM PDT
yup, that's what I do now. Someone else wrote that there is a web-based version of skype that might work in china. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2011 12:46:32 PM PDT
You can receive calls from other people phones to your gmail. You will first need to sign up to google voice and enable the service.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (254 customer reviews)

Out of stock