4.0 out of 5 stars A decent television, May 6, 2010
This review is from: Sony BRAVIA KDL-46EX500 1080P 120Hz 46-Inch LCD HD TV (2010 Model) (Electronics)
I got the Sony Bravio as a replacement for my Vizio of similar quality. It broke down, and the line was canceled so that the repair people could not get replacement parts. Therefore, I got a choice of three TV's selected for "similar" functionality, and after careful consideration, got the Sony Bravia.

Therefore, when I review this TV, I will be comparing it to the Vizio.

Video: The video is good, and the 1080p, which is as HD as you can get, looks just as good as I saw on my previous television. The standard definition could have looked better, but it is very hard to rate standard definition once you have been spoiled by the appearance of HD. One of the nice things about this television is how well it handles fast scenes. Movement if very clear on this television. I never thought my Vizio was bad with moving scenes, but you definitely notice a difference in fast action scenes.

Sound: Personally, I am not that concerned about sound. If I really cared that much about maximizing my sound quality, I would run out and purchase a theater system to handle that. I own one, but I don't use it because it isn't worth the extra power it takes. However, for the sony, sound needed to be set to 60/100 to get to a volume I am comfortable with. With my Vizio, I could get the same at 30/100. So the Sony has a much weaker sound. This bugs me, don't ask me why, but I like my Television to have a stronger sound, and the Sony doesn't provide, even if I would never go that high volumewise.

Design: I wanted to mention the design of the Sony as well. The back of the sony consists of two component, two HDMI, and a VGA+computer sound (also an optical and outsound). The side consists of 1 composite, 2 HDMI, and a usb, which I will get into in a bit. The back ports are facing back, rather than facing down(piano style). For those of you who want a tv flush with the wall, this will be inconvenient because you will need to leave space for the cables to plug in. Personally, I prefer this style, since it is a lot easier to plug in cables than with the difficult piano style, and my television is on a stand, not a wallmount. But I can see it being difficult for wall mount people. The side ports are not really on the side, more like on the backside. They are completely obscured by the television, and are only about an inch and a directional change away from the rest of the ports, placed in a kind of tv cubby hole. All of the ports are on the left side of the television (if that is important to you). All of the controls are on the right side. I am very happy with the controls, which include everything you need to control the television, without the need for a remote like some TV's make you do.

Inputs/Outputs: I already mentioned them, naturally the VGA + computer sound allow you to hook a computer up and use this as a massive monitor. I have not tested it, but I guess it works fine. The USB port is another cool function. Supposedly, you can plug flash media (usb flash drives or flash cards in USB converters) into the television, and it can read and play the media. It claims to be able to handle music, photos, and even video. My previous television lacked this ability, and I have yet to test it out. However, if it works like it claims, that would be a great feature if you have guests and want to show someone something, or you have downloaded video and want to show it on the TV without the work of converting and burning it.

Personally, I dislike how they are getting rid of composite. The TV doesn't even have an s-cable. The composite is on the side rather than the back, fortunately, as I mentioned before, it is in a cubby hole of sorts and you wont see any cable sticking out of the side. Still, if you have any composite device, this forces it to the side, and you can only have one without some kind of converter box. I can't blame them too much, HDMI is the future and soon even component will be out of style. However, for those of us with aging DVD players that still work fine, we will have to consider upgrading to HDMI. Although it is funny to me that composite is fazing out, but they still give you a composite cable standard with any dvd player, blue ray disk, or game system purchase and force you to buy the HDMI or component with your own money.

Menu: I like to mention the menu, because a lot of people don't. The menu gives you some options, although compared to my Vizio, the options menu seems a little limited. Either way, it should be enough for most people. If you are determined, you will have enough choices to tweak the video to your liking. I have a DVD Video Optimizer that allows me to set the TV to ideal conditions using images and tests, but the video has been nice enough out of the box that I have not felt the need to do anything with it.

Overall: I enjoy the TV, although it disappointed me a little in the sound department, the menu, and the input. This is why I gave it a 4 stars. It is a good television, but when comparing it directly with my Vizio, I didn't feel it was quite as good. Still, most people wouldn't notice, or care, about those small problems, so I do recommend this television.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 17, 2010 12:36:28 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2010 3:05:55 PM PST
That seems a little extreme, there is plenty of comparison. Other than the fact that it broke down, I preferred the Vizio in every other aspect. It had superior sound, better form, and I just genuinely liked it better.

Yes, a loud obnoxious beep every time I turn my device on IS annoying and IS a reason to have a problem with this television. With my son sleeping nearby, it would be nice to be able to turn on the TV without that sound. All of my complaints were perfectly valid.

Quit being a fan boy, seriously, what is your problem with my review? I didn't even give it a bad rating, just a few minor complaints that may be relevant to people. Sony isn't the greatest ever and there are been plenty of things released by sony that are crap. I owned both, and that is my opinion.

Posted on Nov 20, 2010 8:08:13 AM PST
Totally agree that annoying things like a startup chime can start to become intolerable.

Sony says the new firmware includes a key tone option to disable the chime:

"Should you want to disable this feature, a model-specific software update is available by clicking the download link on this page. After following the steps to download and install the the update, the option to turned off the Key Tone setting will be available in the Sound menu."
More at:

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2010 9:42:00 AM PST
Thanks, I appreciate your help, I will try that and see what happens.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2010 11:25:41 PM PST
Moondog says:
I just purchased this TV and the option is there in the sound menu. Works fine...
Love the picture!!!!!!!!!!

Just watched The new Blu-Ray of Avatar with the additional 16 mins added!

WOOHOO!!!!

Moondog2010

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2010 8:47:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2010 9:33:34 PM PST
I don't have the option, but after the firmware upgrade, it does. Even if this option is available, I still find the screen annoying (even without the sound), the startup is still slower than other televisions on the market.

If your argument is that the TV requires this time to warm up, and it might as well show that screen as oppose to blackness... then explain this. On another television, you turn it on and yes, it takes a couple seconds to turn on. But then your TV suddenly shuts off because your 2 yo son decides to play with the remote, you grab it from him and turn it back on. The TV starts instantly because it has already warmed up. Not so with this sony, which will still take 5-10 seconds to start up and show you it's obnoxious screen. Once again, this is a minor inconvenience, not a big deal, but still worth mentioning in my opinion.

Posted on Jun 14, 2011 11:36:53 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 14, 2011 11:38:21 AM PDT
SHAH says:
Stogsdill:

Just to comment on something you mentioned... There is in fact a composite video connection on the back of this TV. It's the Green input for the component input. You connect your yellow composite cable to the green input, and then you have to change the connection in the set up menu of the TV.

Although, I can't think of a single reason to use that connection (other than a VCR?).... If you are going to by an HDTV, then you should only be connecting via component or HDMI. I have this TV, and all my connections (AVR, DVR, Blu-Ray, and PS3) are all connected via HDMI, via the AVR, for one HDMI connection to the TV.

You say you don't use your AVR, but IMO you are really doing your set up a disservice, in more ways than one.

Having said all that, I think that the only downside to this set, is that it doesnt feature ARC over HDMI, which seems strange for Sony, especially when nearly all their competitors over ARC on TV's in this price range.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2011 12:15:42 AM PDT
Thank you for that information, it is very helpful. I did not know that I could use the component as a composite slot. However, my points are still valid, as you are making the mass assumption that everyone replaces every electronic every 5 years. I still used a DVD player that lacked HDMI. And most gaming consoles come with composite only until you go out of your way to purchase another cable. And the doesn't even count gamers who like to plug in old gaming systems every now and then. So it is easily possible to have several composite devices, especially if you aren't a videophile.

Marked you as helpful, thank you for the information.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2011 6:57:40 AM PDT
SHAH says:
Greetings again Stogsdill:

Much appreciated for the rating!

Just a bit more FYI: this composite cable dilemma is easily solved, by using your AVR as a switch, connecting all those source components to the AVR, and then running one composite cable from your AVR straight to your TV. You connect 4 or 5 components (depending on the AVR) to that one composite input on the TV.

The beauty about AV tech these days (from the past 5 years up to now), is that they've made it a snap for all your components (no matter how old) to interact with each other. Also, TV's, DVD players, and game systems are designed specifically to be intergrated into an AV system. True, they can work well enough by themselves (or at leasst, with just the one component and the TV), but it's become more and more increasingly apparent that the AVR (receiver) is meant to be the heart of the system. That's why most TV's now (this one included) has the optical digital ouptut on the back; the only way to make use of that, is with an AVR.

Also, not to question your motices or preferences, but while you said you are not a videophile (which, btw, there's nothing wrong with; my GF is also not a videophile... She hooks her WII to this tV often, and loves it. Personally, I've begun to refuse to play it, because it looks so bad. But then, she still owns a 27-inch tube TV at her house, which she is completely content with. I'm slowly converting her though ;-) ), you honestly are not getting the most out of this TV, by merely using the composite connections. Granted, this TV has some upscaling ability, but it will only do so much in terms of improving picture quality. Depending on what game system you have, it's possible to use at least a component (red/blue/green) connection. Most DVD players in the past 5 years also have component connection as well. And again, you can utilize your AVR in optimizing that set up.

I know you appreciate the convenience of merely using the cable that the DVD player came with, but trust me, it's well worth the value of investing in some cheap (given your preference, you don't need anything expensive) component cables... You can get some here on Amazon for about 5 bucks, shipping included.

You might not be a videophile now, but you may very well become one, once you see what this TV can really do (running the risk of over stating my point: having an HDTV and only watching basic video, is like owning race car and only driving around the block in a residential neighborhood at 10 MPH... what's the point?). And the best part is, you wouldn't even have to upgrade any of your gear to do it. :-)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (74 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $400.00