3.0 out of 5 stars Software Needs Work, November 23, 2010
This review is from: Canon PIXMA MP495 Wireless Inkjet Photo All-In-One (4499B026) (Office Product)
I bought this unit as my laser printer was just too much wrt toner costs. I also wanted a wireless printer to share between all my computers (PC and Mac/iphone).

It is low cost (really low cost), and the print quality (at this price point) is great.

The reason that I'm not happy with this product, like I should be is just how poorly thought out the software is. During install, you basically are going to be loading up with a number of bloatware features (trying to not install these resulted in weird artifacts/or the software you need just not installing).

Also there's a little bubble that sit's on your desktop - really annoying. After all, I wanted a printer and a printer really should just work in the background without the need to be seen by me every time i use my computer.

Finally, the settings. The settings are crazy. First - no matter what I try, I can't get the printer to print in the proper order. Out of the box with all the defaults, I found that when I print a document - it prints in reverse order. Unacceptable. Going through the settings - I can't find the setting to lock this down. So I have to remember each time that I print to 'reverse' print order.

Also, there's a 'silent' feature. I haven't a clue what this does. It does make the printer a bit more silent, but it's not default. If there's some software to make the printer work just as well, but with less noise - shouldn't this be default?

Again, the install was a mess. Installing across computers (PC or Mac) was not fun. The fact that the settings were/are not correct out of the box, not fun. The bloatware/and the weird bubble that shows up on my desktops - really NOT fun. If the unit printed at lightening speed or completely silent, perhaps then I could overlook the poorly designed software - but it doesn't. The printer is just average.

I'm giving the OK rating because the print quality is average, the cost overall is great, and the software is poor. So it's just so/so.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 25, 2010 9:42:18 AM PST
veer says:
Could you print from pc Mac iPhone ?

Posted on Nov 27, 2010 6:23:24 PM PST
I tried printing a 7 page document (duplex printing) and it turned out fine. The page order was correct and page 1 was right on the top.
Also I installed just a few of the packages from the CD (the "essentials" so to speak) and they didn't hog system resources. Nor was there any loss in functionality or broken software. No bubble on the desktop either. I'm guessing its a drag-n-drop printer box similar to what HP has. Overall I think the software from Canon is way lighter on the system than what HP provides. I still haven't used the scanner as yet but the software is decent although the icons and UI look dated.

Posted on Dec 15, 2010 6:41:25 PM PST
drmallard says:
I had no problem at all installing on two laptops...both Toshibas. One with Windows Vista and the other with XP

Posted on Dec 29, 2010 12:27:13 AM PST
SK says:
I'm on a mac and I can't seem to get it to show up in the print menu. It shows up as a scanner and doesn't allow me to print. Did you have this issue as well on the mac? I hear ya on the software!

Posted on Feb 1, 2011 11:11:07 PM PST
I installed the CD, plugged it in and everything just worked. There it was on my net, everybody connected and printed in a few minutes. ( Win 7 )

Posted on Feb 10, 2011 1:16:51 PM PST
A. McNeal says:
Thanks for a review I could understand.

Posted on Mar 29, 2011 12:54:41 PM PDT
I've had mine for 2 months and installed it on four systems inc XP, Vista and Win 7......... no trouble. Scans work fine and wirelessly. Huge bang for the buck. No worries about the bubble I just ignore it as it's not there when you have an app open.

Posted on May 13, 2011 8:59:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 13, 2011 9:00:20 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2011 6:22:37 AM PDT
David Shaak says:
Really??? is that totally necessary???
Not everyone is computer savy....try to have a little more respect and remember sometimes people put reviews on here when they have problems and others can assist.

Respectfully,
Someone who has more respect than you !

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2011 3:06:06 PM PDT