Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Maxwell Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful TV -- Usage Tips, and Several Limitations, June 15, 2014
This review is from: Samsung UN32H5500 32-Inch 1080p 60Hz Smart LED TV (2014 Model) (Electronics)
We actually purchased this tv somewhere else. It's a really good set, with an easy set-up, and a nice clean picture. That said, it has several limitations, which convince us it's not worth 5 stars.

Here are some tips that might make your viewing experience a bit easier.

- As others have mentioned, there is no need to use the artificial-looking "Dynamic", under Picture Mode. We choose "Standard", but you will see what you like.

- It might also help to toy with the Advance Settings under Picture mode. If you are sitting down to watch a movie, it's worth it to fine tune things. Each show varies in it's broadcast quality, so you might have to toy with the settings, at various times. These visual differences existed with the traditional tube TVs, but it's more noticeable now, because the modern visuals are so much clearer.

- It's good to remember that although this set is 1080p capable, this is assuming you are watching a telecast which actually presents it's programming in that format. A moderate number of current shows televise in 720p, and some of the older movies broadcast in 420p. Your local news programs and many contemporary movies will give you the capability of using the 1080p to it's greatest benefit. We are not talking about any adjustments you need to make, but we are speaking of the limitations of the individual broadcast itself.

- When using head phones, the volume remains stationery. It cannot be adjusted, even when using a capable (volume-adjusting) headset. You cannot use Mute with the headphones. This is frustrating. Maybe more importantly, the overall audio quality of this tv is lacking, and not too much above average. This tv (and maybe nearly all modern TV sets) practically require you to purchase outside sound equipment. Otherwise, the sound is muffled (especially on low to medium volume). The designers have made it so that the audio is projected from the back of the tv. They keep the front sleek-looking, but this causes the audio to be compromised.

- Make sure to read the fine print in the back of your "LED TV User Manual", under "Important Warranty Info...". They mention something we were not aware of. From the English booklet, here's an excerpt from pg. 31: "Wide screen format LED Displays (with 16:9 aspect ratio, the ratio of the screen width to height) are primarily designed to view wide screen format full-motion video. The images on them should primarily be in the wide screen, 16:9 format, or expanded to fill the screen, if your model offers this feature, with the images constantly in motion." It goes on to warn that it's best to limit graphics and images that have DARK SIDEBARS to just 5% or less of your tv viewing time, per week. Otherwise, your tv might develop a subtle "but permanent burned in ghost" images in the LED picture.

Here's our complaint with the above: many of the older programs are broadcast in a reduced size / picture format. Unless we expand the picture size to 16:9, it seems that the longevity and quality of our tv screen is at risk. This is probably the same with all LED tvs, but this limitation is disappointing, nonetheless.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 27, 2014 3:39:06 PM PDT
Mark Victor says:
Thank you for mentioning that you can't control or mute the volume when using headphones, a frustration for me as well. Probably characteristic of almost every TV currently made (I don't personally know of any exceptions), but if people comment on this lack in their reviews, then some manufacturer or other is eventually going to pay attention.

Posted on Jul 31, 2014 9:13:28 PM PDT
Emily Diana says:
Hi R and P. You wrote: "When using head phones, the volume remains stationery. It cannot be adjusted". Whatever volume the TV is set on, when you put your headphones on-you cannot turn up or lower the volume level playing through your headphones? So as the TV program's volume naturally goes up or down, you are stuck with whatever that volume? I'm clarifying whether I understand correctly, because I'm shocked if it works this way, not out of disbelief of your review. Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2014 7:29:41 PM PDT
Ann says:
Thanks for your response, Mark.

It seems that the manufacturers would make this adjustment. We did not know that this was a limitation for other TVs. It's disappointing.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2014 7:34:08 PM PDT
Ann says:
Emily, we were also a bit shocked. Please read Mark's response, as well. It seems that this is a challenge with various TV's. Perhaps one day, this will change! The volume within the headphones is not too loud... more like a medium setting. But, it's bothersome if you want a very soft sound through the headphones.

Other than this limitation, we continue to enjoy the television.

Posted on Feb 1, 2015 11:56:11 PM PST
Chen Xulian says:
My friend just LOVED this samsung tv. She's one of those HD-only freaks, and she adored the picture quality. I am planning to purchase one for my son. How does the TV work with an XBox? I also read somewhere about a lot of TV related accidents with children, so I plan to mount it on the wall. The brand I considered was FlexiMounts. It has a lot of choices to decide from.

Posted on Feb 5, 2015 2:29:18 AM PST
Chen Xulian says:
That was a pretty great review. I bought the same philips tv to replace my previous 10-year old junk but I couldn't stand the cables just hanging around behind the TV. Just not used to them, I guess. I saw this brand called FlexiMounts and they had a ""cable management mount"" for a pretty reasonable price that worked perfectly. It's a must buy if you're as OCD as I am. Hope this helps!

Posted on Feb 14, 2015 3:07:02 AM PST
Chen Xulian says:
Seems like this sharp tv is really worth the price but I have my doubts about it being sturdy enough if I place it high up. I can't really afford to see this one break. Did you fix the TV to the wall? I would probably go for FlexiMounts to mount it. Check it out if you had a similar conern.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2015 12:39:23 PM PDT
Hello Chen,

We did not attach it to the wall. You might want to look at some of the other reviews for their feedback. Good luck.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2015 12:41:08 PM PDT
Hi Chen,

Yes, the picture quality is quite nice. We do not have an X-Box, so we cannot provide any tips on this.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›