5.0 out of 5 stars Drop dead simple..., June 5, 2009
This review is from: Elgato Video Capture, Capture analog video for your Mac or PC, iPad and iPhone, white (Electronics)
I read the reviews here and went ahead with my purchase anyway. I'm glad I did.

It couldn't be any more simple to record from an analog source to the Mac. My project is converting some old VHS home movies to digital videos. I wanted to try a test before I jumped into the real projects, so I decided to encode a small section of a VHS tape purchased around 1992.

I popped the software disc into my laptop and it installed in a few minutes. When finished, I launched the application and it presented me with a screen to test the video signal. I plugged in both ends of the device and I saw what was playing on my VCR instantly. The next screen made sure I had audio. Once set-up was out of the way, it was off to the races. I tested with a 10 minute section of the video and the software stopped recording exactly when I told it to.

I wanted to address the "issue" the other reviewers mistakenly have with this product not outputting H.264. The first video I captured has a file extension of ".mp4" and the description is "MPEG-4 Movie" in Finder. When I right-clicked and chose Get Info on the file, under Codecs, I see H.264, AAC listed. This proves H.264 encoding works with this product. I request the reviewers who said this is not working do the same and report the results.

Bottom line, this is a very simple to use product and I am looking forward to using it to convert those old movies from VHS. MUST BUY.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 6, 2010 5:06:02 PM PST
I guess those other reviewers were not very computer literate, as many times you will find H264 inside a MP4 wrapper, or M4V, you never see raw h264 packets unless you are a videographer with special equipment.

Posted on Mar 2, 2011 7:59:45 PM PST
Big Mac says:
Does this work with Mac OSX 10.6.6?

Posted on Sep 1, 2011 9:19:16 AM PDT
Hussam Ali says:

Posted on Feb 4, 2013 6:04:52 PM PST
Comment I saw said it doesn't make H.264 in the hardware which is a valid observation. I have a different product that demonstrates same issue. The hardware only produces mpeg2 (mine does) and then the software converts from mpeg2 to H.264. If you try to go straight to H.264, sometimes the machine can't keep up and drops frames if I tried to do both steps at once. I have taken to a two step process by converting first to just mpeg2 and later converting to H.264 in a batch using Freemake converter and haven't had any problems since.

Posted on Jul 14, 2013 9:26:22 PM PDT
Hjemis says:
Hi do you know if the software that comes with it can capture in PAL system? I am pretty sure everything that you have been capturing is NTSC, so do you know if the software has a setting to capture in the European system (PAL)?

Posted on Jul 16, 2014 8:03:25 AM PDT
Can you download software if you don't have a disc drive? I have a Mabook Pro

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2014 8:20:03 AM PDT
You should be able to get it here:

‹ Previous 1 Next ›