Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage UnchartedBundle Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Kids Halloween

2,184 of 2,250 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value! I am impressed!!!, October 13, 2011
This review is from: Garmin nüvi 40 4.3-inch Portable GPS Navigator(US Only) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I have had Garmin, Tom Tom, Sony and Magellan GPS's over the last ten years. I have come back to Garmin for my last two because they have by far the best interface. My other Garmin is a 1690.

The maps that came with this GPS are up to date. A restaurant that opened within the last six months is on the list.

I have found the 4.3 inch screen size to be the optimal size. It has a nice size keyboard and amazing graphics. It feels 'right' on a car dashboard.

The two features I absolutely require are the speed limit on the screen and the lane guidance. This GPS has both. This is my first Garmin out of three that goes into a split screen mode and shows the interstate signage as you come upon an exit you will be taking on your route. Great feature!

The audio is crisp and clear. It has plenty of volume capacity.

When needed, this unit will recalculate the directions quickly. I should also mention that it is very quick to acquire the satellites.

The one thing that this GPS does not have is traffic. My last four GPS's have had traffic and I have found it to be of limited usefulness. More than 50% of the time, the traffic has cleared out and you are still being alerted. The alternate routes around the traffic jams tend to be somewhat dubious.

Finally, what a great price!!! Just a year ago, you would have paid double the price for a GPS with all of the features you get with the Garmin 40. It is an excellent buy!

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 22 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 69 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 24, 2011 12:27:01 AM PST
Does it have "pop up ads"... Any "annoying" features that allow the map updates to be "free" at such a great price??

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2011 6:32:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 13, 2011 4:07:07 PM PST
No annoying features. The pop up ads typically come when your GPS has traffic alerts. This GPS does not have traffic.

It does have a great feature that I did not mention in the gives you warnings when you are approaching traffic cameras at intersections. It also alerts you to speed cameras on the freeway.

Posted on Nov 24, 2011 6:55:28 PM PST
Daniel T. Ma says:
Excuse me, but I was wondering if this particular GPS model has the option for spoken Chinese? Cantonese or Mandarin are both fine...if you could check for me I would be very very very thankful! I can't seem to find anything online on whether or not it has spoken Chinese languages pre-loaded. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2011 9:17:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 24, 2011 9:17:44 PM PST
amBASSador says:
I bought a Garmin 255LM earlier this year and it did not have Cantonese or Mandarin pre loaded. I just we to Garmin's website and was able to down load both for free. I am also thinking of up grading to larger GPS, 3.5 inch is a little small.

Posted on Nov 26, 2011 12:51:21 PM PST
Can the Garmin nüvi 50LM GPS be used for hiking or biking? Or... do I need a completely different kind of unit for this. Is there a GPS for both in the car and on foot or bike? Thanks, I'm new at this.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2011 7:58:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2011 8:06:26 AM PST
P. Carlson says:

Though I do not have this particular Garmin, I have used biking specific models. Car units can be rigged to use on a bike but they are not a very good choice. Most car units would not really work at all for off road biking or hiking as they do not have "bread crumb" capabilities. They only tell you how to get somewhere using street maps. So, if I'm walking around the city, I can mark where my car is then use the gps to find my way back on the street but, if I'm on a hiking trail, it's pretty useless. Even if you are biking on roads, the car gps usually don't hold a charge for long enough and they are not waterproof. Also, you want the ability to build routes. When you bike ride, you want back roads with light traffic. A car GPS is not going to route you over those roads automatically. Some car GPSs do have the ability to create a route so, you could for example build a route that goes in a circle. This is something you often want to do when going out bike riding.

Garmin Edge series has a series of bike computers, the more expensive have street maps. You can plan a route ahead of time, download it to your edge then go out and follow it. I really enjoy this feather. The edge computers can also be used for hiking. Use an older type clear cell phone case to carry it when hiking. On trails, you won't have maps but it will tell you how to get home and keep track or your hike. You can also save your route and follow your trail if you go out again. Edge computers are by far the best choice for a bike. Cheaper ones do not have street maps but they do keep track of your route so you can follow the "bread crumb" trail if you want to go out again. They also keep track of your speed and you can add a heart rate monitor and/or device to keep track of cadence. The edge computers also let you download your rides/hikes so you can keep track of your fitness. On the downside, the ones with maps are really expensive. The ones with maps have automatic routing and turn by turn directions so they are useable in a car. They are not the best choice for a car as the screen is fairly small and I don't think any have voice directions. My edge 705 does beep before each turn. That is definitely enough for a bicycle since I'm going much slower than I do in the car.

Garmin Forerunners are geared more towards runners but they can also be used for biking and to keep track of a hike. Again, they keep a log of all your activity and virtual routes so you can find your way home or follow the same route again. I don't know if any have maps.

If you want something for serious hiking or off roading, there are also hiking specific gps. Again some let you load trail maps and some just keep track of your gps positions. Unlike a car gps, they would also be waterproof and have a longer battery life. The more expensive ones would have the capability to load street maps and would be useable in a car. I don't know if any would give verbal directions. Screens tend to be larger than the bike models. These units would also work fine on a bike as long as you can figure out a way to mount it securely. Some have bike specific mounts. I'm not sure if they keep track of your fitness data quite as well as the running and hiking models but I know they all pretty much keep track of your routes, time, speed etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2011 10:48:08 AM PST
Thanks very much for a thorough answer. Appreciated.

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 9:38:06 PM PST
Thank you for the detailed review.
Would you please describe the power charger/cable this come with?
Is this GPS able to be powered and navigate using a non Garmin brand power charger/cable set? I read a review on 50 LM that seemed to indicate it would not. I hope it does not have that limitation so I can use my other auto charger/cable set for flexibility.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2011 3:10:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2011 3:12:01 PM PST
Greg says:
To Daniel T. Ma

I recently purchased this model and here's what's in the Voice folder.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2011 12:39:11 AM PST
No pop up ads. No annoying features. After several months of use, I am still impressed!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›